Gibson Brands Forums

What happened to the mighty Les Paul?!?!

Imying72

I recently (July 09) purchased a Les Paul Studio. I've been playing 23 years and have never had the scratch to afford one of these beauties. In that time, I've played all make and manner of guitars and nothing had the tone that a Les Paul does. SO...All that out of the way.. I finally saved up enough money to pick up one of my own. I was so excited I couldn't stand it.

So I picked mine up @ my local Guitar center.. took it home, and it was EVERYTHING I thought it would be. Well at first anyways. Within a week of having it, I noticed the G string won't stay in tune. Even after a fresh setup is done on it. Still...the G string goes out every time I bend it. I even put a little graphite on the nut slot to make sure it wasn't a binding issue. No help.

then, one week later, the input jack shorts out. I'm like, "you gotta be kidding me!" So after fighting with guitar center over being misled about the extended warranty I purchased, and about a gazillion phone calls to their warranty service,

I get referred to Gibson to have it fixed under the manufacturers warranty. They refer me to a service center locally, and I call the guy up and he tells me he doesn't have time to look at it...ARGH! So..I figure I'll have to put up with the jack for the time being until I can get it looked at. So I sit down to play today and now the pickup switch no longer works!

At this point I should say I'm seriously ticked off over this piece of crap I paid 1200.00 for! So its back on the phone with Gibson...once again.. This time I'm referred to a different service center about an hour away. I hop in my car and drive the whole way over there, and the tech pops it open and says to me I can't believe they do this S%^t.. I'm like what...

he then proceeds to show me the innards of my guitar full of plug and play switches! He Pushes on the plugs...and what do you know.. it works fine. He said, and I fully agree, that plug and play has NO place in musical instruments! Plug and play works great on computers THAT ARE NEVER MOVED AROUND. You cant put some crap like that in a guitar that is being toted around on stage and expect the plugs not to come loose. I've never seen something so stupid in my life.

To finish my tale... I'm ending up paying an xtra 100.00 bucks to have all that GARBAGE ripped out of my guitar and having it wired AND SOLDERED properly.. the way Les Paul ORIGINALLY did it. Les Paul is probably rolling over in his grave knowing that his instruments that used to have such a good name, are being released with such TRASH electronics contained in them.

There was a time I'd recommend a Les Paul to anyone... that time is now gone. Don't buy one unless you plan on having it rewired.. or not moving EVER while playing it.

making it so any average shmuck can swap out pickups was, in my opinion an extremely bad idea on Gibsons part.

Gibson was made great because they never sacrificed quality to make an xtra buck. They should consider going back to that philosophy if they want to continue to produce QUALITY instruments.

Leave internal electronics to the pros.. when you make it so any idiot can work on them you end up seriously affecting the quality. Just my opinion.

I recently (July 09) purchased a Les Paul Studio. I've been playing 23 years and have never had the scratch to afford one of these beauties. In that time' date=' I've played all make and manner of guitars and nothing had the tone that a Les Paul does. SO...All that out of the way.. I finally saved up enough money to pick up one of my own. I was so excited I couldn't stand it.

So I picked mine up @ my local Guitar center.. took it home, and it was EVERYTHING I thought it would be. Well at first anyways. Within a week of having it, I noticed the G string won't stay in tune. Even after a fresh setup is done on it. Still...the G string goes out every time I bend it. I even put a little graphite on the nut slot to make sure it wasn't a binding issue. No help.

then, one week later, the input jack shorts out. I'm like, "you gotta be kidding me!" So after fighting with guitar center over being misled about the extended warranty I purchased, and about a gazillion phone calls to their warranty service,

I get referred to Gibson to have it fixed under the manufacturers warranty. They refer me to a service center locally, and I call the guy up and he tells me he doesn't have time to look at it...ARGH! So..I figure I'll have to put up with the jack for the time being until I can get it looked at. So I sit down to play today and now the pickup switch no longer works!

At this point I should say I'm seriously ticked off over this piece of crap I paid 1200.00 for! So its back on the phone with Gibson...once again.. This time I'm referred to a different service center about an hour away. I hop in my car and drive the whole way over there, and the tech pops it open and says to me I can't believe they do this S%^t.. I'm like what...

he then proceeds to show me the innards of my guitar full of plug and play switches! He Pushes on the plugs...and what do you know.. it works fine. He said, and I fully agree, that plug and play has NO place in musical instruments! Plug and play works great on computers THAT ARE NEVER MOVED AROUND. You cant put some crap like that in a guitar that is being toted around on stage and expect the plugs not to come loose. I've never seen something so stupid in my life.

To finish my tale... I'm ending up paying an xtra 100.00 bucks to have all that GARBAGE ripped out of my guitar and having it wired AND SOLDERED properly.. the way Les Paul ORIGINALLY did it. Les Paul is probably rolling over in his grave knowing that his instruments that used to have such a good name, are being released with such TRASH electronics contained in them.

There was a time I'd recommend a Les Paul to anyone... that time is now gone. Don't buy one unless you plan on having it rewired.. or not moving EVER while playing it.

making it so any average shmuck can swap out pickups was, in my opinion an extremely bad idea on Gibsons part.

Gibson was made great because they never sacrificed quality to make an xtra buck. They should consider going back to that philosophy if they want to continue to produce QUALITY instruments.

Leave internal electronics to the pros.. when you make it so any idiot can work on them you end up seriously affecting the quality. Just my opinion.

[/quote']

On Gibson's products page, under features it will tell you if it has the new circuit boards.

Don't buy ones with it, if it bugs you. There are many other Les Pauls that do not have this circuit boards.

1) you bought from GC....BIG mistake

2) you bought an extended warranty from GC...lmfao i cant believe anyone would fall for that

3) the last paragraph is so so dumb it makes makes my brain hurt. electronics on a guitar are supposed to be easy to modify, switch, etc. how much would it suck if you had to send your guitar to gibson every time you wanted to change a pickup or a cap?

did you play this guitar first before buying it?

1) you bought from GC....BIG mistake

2) you bought an extended warranty from GC...lmfao i cant believe anyone would fall for that

3) the last paragraph is so so dumb it makes makes my brain hurt. electronics on a guitar are supposed to be easy to modify' date=' switch, etc. how much would it suck if you had to send your guitar to gibson every time you wanted to change a pickup or a cap?

did you play this guitar first before buying it?[/quote']

+1 hope it wasn't a display model you bought.

What is the point of this thread?

I'll play along.

Why did you buy it from GC... (you usually get screwed)

Gibson DOES produce quality instruments... One guitar doesn't represent the entire company

Extended warrantee? WHY

(Edit by Mod)

This is the ONE thing about GC that is GOOD they have a 45 day NO QUESTIONS asked return policy so TAKE IT BACK and get a PAUL from a GIBSON DEALER OTHER THAN GC !!!!

GC has there own guitars that they spec...a friend thought he was getting a deal when he bought a GC CUSTAOM SHOP DBL CUT STANDARD.

A GC CUSTOM SHOP means NOTHING......They spec stuff to be as cheaply assembled as possible. They were sued for selling 1960 classic re-issues without the Brazilian board well that was part of the guitar and to make money they deleted that in there specs.

There was a Class action suit and anyone who bought one of these got all there money back and a 500.00 discount card,GC as found to be 90% at fault and Gibson 10%......as Gibson should have known better to release an exact copy that was not exact !!!!

Remember that GC invested 35 million into GIBSON a few years ago,..they also get EVERY left over GIBBY: at years end for next to nothing same with FENDER.

BUYER BEWARE,,,sake as EBAY....it used to be honest and safe now ya have guys putting limited editions in CUSTOM SHOP boxes telling people they are CS....NO THEY AREN:T !!!

If I ever buy from GC I order it special,,,,,nevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvhhhhhhhver take anything ff the sheklf....you know how they let any kid finger f*** en to death and then they change pickguards polish em and say they are new!!

I do not like the idea that they can take an ax back and the n resell it as NEW !!!!

GC ALSO OWNS SWEETWATER,MUSIC 123, BURST BROTHER VINTAGE GUITARS, GUITAR ADOPTIONS,

THEY ARE A PUBLICLY TRADED COMPANY AND MUST MEET INVESTOR RELATIONS.

THEY ARE A BUNCH OF USED CAR SALESMEN WHO SELL GUITARS!!!!!

St James

You cant put some crap like that in a guitar that is being toted around on stage and expect the plugs not to come loose. I've never seen something so stupid in my life.

What were you doing with that guitar? I can't think of any normal guitar moves that would unplug those things.

To finish my tale... I'm ending up paying an xtra 100.00 bucks to have all that GARBAGE ripped out of my guitar and having it wired AND SOLDERED properly.

Sorry to hear that' date=' but at least you didn't spend 1000 on it, some guys do (new pots, caps and pickups, new switch, hell, even historically correct wire and soldering:-")

the way Les Paul ORIGINALLY did it

In short? He didn't. Trust me :)

making it so any average shmuck can swap out pickups was' date=' in my opinion an extremely bad idea on Gibsons part.

[/quote']

But, YOU couldn't figure it out. And I know for certain I wouldn't know where to start if I had to swap pickups on a giutar with one of those circuit boards... In my opinion the old way was easier and even a beginer could work on them.

How do you think its "defects on the property that rendered the property unfit for ordinary purposes."? (Yeah I looked it up) I heard about Gibson using a circuit board and eventually everything is going that route; its cheaper and its subjective if its better or not. All the other guitars work and this is only one side of the story. Could it be a lemon' date=' maybe; could be user error also. Whats confusing if its a warranty issue why all the fees and such?

On the internet we only know what someone tells you; not the entire story.

[/quote']

He bought it at GC, that's all we need to know :)

I'd be interested to know if the treble stays bright when you roll off the volume now?

I noticed on my 2000 studio no treble being lost when rolling off the volume. My 1968 an other gibsons I've had did lose treble. I don't know whether it's the new pickups or guitar electronics. Probably the electronics because I put a Duncan Seth lover in the lead spot and still no roll off. The stock pickup was putting out 16ohms early pauls are near 8ohms a much brighter tone.

I'm not real fond of circuit boards in guitars but honestly it just sounds like you've had some bad luck. Once all the plugs are properly in place you shouldn't expect that they will suddenly become loose. If anything, over time a contact might corrode or a plug could become loose if you're constantly in there swapping caps or pickups.

If you've got it hardwired now, you're left with the sticky nut issue...welcome to Gibson and their plastic nuts. I've got two Gibsons and they both give me grief with their plastic nuts, but my two Fenders don't. Go figure?!

I'm not real fond of circuit boards in guitars but honestly it just sounds like you've had some bad luck. Once all the plugs are properly in place you shouldn't expect that they will suddenly become loose. If anything' date=' over time a contact might corrode or a plug could become loose if you're constantly in there swapping caps or pickups.

If you've got it hardwired now, you're left with the sticky nut issue...welcome to Gibson and their plastic nuts. I've got two Gibsons and they both give me grief with their plastic nuts, but my two Fenders don't. Go figure?![/quote']

Corian nuts..

Why the hell would you come on gibsons forum and TRASH them...

Moron

Whoa!!!

Hold it right there guys!

What the hell kind of welcome is THIS?

Name calling?

You guys need to get your heads out of your asses.

Why not just post something like "Welcome to the Gibson forum - NOW FUQK OFF!".....

I don't doubt for a second what the guy is saying is true.

This story is WAY too common to simply dismiss' date=' and he spent a lot of money for the pleasure of getting boned.

Could he be a covert operative paid by PRS to come over here and flame Gibson on their own company forum?

Then I'm sure the "story" would have involved an expensive Custom Shop Guitar or a reissue, right?

The guy went to the one place he thought might offer him support or advice and you sh!t on him....

Look, the Studio is a lower cost alternative to get buyers into the Les Paul line.

Gibson advertised it as such when it came out.

The guitar will be sold for less, so less time will be invested in its manufacture.

In a nutshell - it's CHEAP.

Has a shiny finish, so that's better than the horrid satin/worn/faded crap they sell but that guitar sells on price.

Nobody buys a Les Paul Custom then wishes they had a Studio instead, sorry.

This is the ONLY reason for the PCB controls, the "superior" Bourn pots are just to make us think it's better.

Printed Circuit Boards DO NOT belong in a guitar unless it's the plastic one from Guitar Hero.

End of story.

If a Studio has no obvious defects at the factory - it ships.

If it has an "issue" of some sort I can easily speculate that it ships to Guitar Center.

But first, let's explore some options where we KNOW the bad stuff happens before we speculate about Gibson;

We ALL know the kind of sh!t Guitar Center pulls.

I bet the guitar was sold and returned before, eh?

Hell, I wouldn't doubt that one GC traded it to another GC store for a merchandise swap and they fxcked each other in the deal because some manager recognized the guitar was a turd and didn't want the hassles.

I've PERSONALLY been involved in deals where one Guitar Center did that to another store.

They compete against each other for sales volume and profitability.

That's how managers get pay raises and move to a store they like better.

The G string?

Welcome to Gibson.

File the nut or have a competent luthier (not a GC sales turd) do it for you for a few bucks.

The 'authorized service center' Gibson referred you to?

He doesn't want the bother because he knows Gibson will only compensate him a certain amount for the repairs done as Gibson sees fit and he's not confident they will work. You'll think HE is a piece of sh!t too and he has a business reputation to think about.

I can understand why you want to keep the guitar and make it right.

You waited 23 years and by God, it's gonna be what you want.

Good on ya, I can appreciate that.

On the other hand, you could go to Guitar Center with all your documentation and demand a full refund.

No ifs, ands or buts.

No bullsh!t or run around.

Talk to the manager and the manager ONLY, do not let him pawn you off on a sales turd.

It's HIS store so it's HIS problem.

I could tell you literally dozens of Guitar Center stories.

Not just made-up sh!t that I heard about, but I-was-fxcking-standing-there, or it-was-my-money stories.

Check out the GC reference in my signature.

PM me if you need some help with this, I'll gladly help you.

I heard about Gibson using a circuit board and eventually everything is going that route;

its cheaper and its subjective if its better or not.

Whats confusing if its a warranty issue why all the fees and such?

On the internet we only know what someone tells you; not the entire story.

Fees = profit on nothing but words.

PCB? It's cheaper to build.

No other advantage in my opinion - and you KNOW I'm never wrong.....

:D/

I'll certainly listen to the rest of the story.

This is NOT the first PCB failure' date=' it's only been a year on the market and it's not what it should be....

I certainly agree with;

If your not happy why spend the extra cash to re-wire when this will void any warranties;

Way too many used ones out there to go through all this pain

TAKE IT BACK and get a PAUL from a GIBSON DEALER OTHER THAN GC !!!!

They spec stuff to be as cheaply assembled as possible.

There was a Class action suit

GC ALSO OWNS SWEETWATER' date='MUSIC 123, BURST BROTHER VINTAGE GUITARS, GUITAR ADOPTIONS,

THEY ARE A BUNCH OF USED CAR SALESMEN WHO SELL GUITARS!!!!![/quote']

If you've got it hardwired now' date=' you're left with the sticky nut issue...

Gibson and their plastic nuts. [/quote']

Like 1319 says - Corian works. I simply filed mine.

At least some of the Gibson forum members aren't gunning for gutters...

=P~

This is the ONE thing about GC that is GOOD they have a 45 day NO QUESTIONS asked return policy so TAKE IT BACK and get a PAUL from a GIBSON DEALER OTHER THAN GC !!!!

GC has there own guitars that they spec...a friend thought he was getting a deal when he bought a GC CUSTAOM SHOP DBL CUT STANDARD.

A GC CUSTOM SHOP means NOTHING......They spec stuff to be as cheaply assembled as possible. They were sued for selling 1960 classic re-issues without the Brazilian board well that was part of the guitar and to make money they deleted that in there specs.

There was a Class action suit and anyone who bought one of these got all there money back and a 500.00 discount card' date='GC as found to be 90% at fault and Gibson 10%......as Gibson should have known better to release an exact copy that was not exact !!!!

Remember that GC invested 35 million into GIBSON a few years ago,..they also get EVERY left over GIBBY: at years end for next to nothing same with FENDER.

BUYER BEWARE,,,sake as EBAY....it used to be honest and safe now ya have guys putting limited editions in CUSTOM SHOP boxes telling people they are CS....NO THEY AREN:T !!!

If I ever buy from GC I order it special,,,,,nevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvhhhhhhhver take anything ff the sheklf....you know how they let any kid finger f*** en to death and then they change pickguards polish em and say they are new!!

I do not like the idea that they can take an ax back and the n resell it as NEW !!!!

GC ALSO OWNS SWEETWATER,MUSIC 123, BURST BROTHER VINTAGE GUITARS, GUITAR ADOPTIONS,

THEY ARE A BUNCH OF USED CAR SALESMEN WHO SELL GUITARS!!!!!

St James[/quote']

There is some incorrect information in this post...Guitar Splinter and Sweetwater are not related in any way, shape or form. Sweetwater is Privately-Owned – Sweetwater is owned by president and founder Chuck Surack. There’s one location in Fort Wayne, Indiana. They’re not some huge corporation with hundreds of locations. I don't know about anything else here, but I KNOW that GC and Sweetwater are not related.

That is all...

Well, these are the stories that always support my reasons to get the best, or at least, one of the better Gibson Les Pauls.

If you don't have the money, then WAIT until you do!

Of course, $1200 isn't cheap and those Studios aren't worth that new, IMHO, but he could have saved a little longer and picked up a great used

Standard or Classic for just a few hundred more. I NEVER buy new guitars!

i'm not sorry. and the fact that the OP has not been back says something: I got suckered by GC and just want to *****. i still want to know if he played this guitar before bringing it home- my guess is no. he didnt do his homework- on gibson or on GC. there's one born every minute. and his assertion about only having gibson work on your guitar is stupid, plain and simple. sorry if i dont have much sympathy for anyone anymore. Caveat Emptor.

as noted before, take the damn thing back and dont ever buy anything else from GC.

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm sorry you've had issues... there are many here who could have warned you that you play GC roulette out there, had you only thought to come here first. For the record, the warranty from GC only kicks in where the mfg. warranty stops... or so I am told by the GC folks here in Nashville.

Sounds like to me you have a nice little $1300 Studio now, so try to put the bitterness of an unpleasant business deal behind you and just enjoy the great Les Paul tones.

And of course, you can always post back here if you have questions. There may still be some folks who know something about guitars and can help.

Archived