Gibson Brands Forums

Switching between 2 amps

Andre S

I've used the Morley A/B/Y, a DOD, an ART, a home made one, and now I am using this Morley Lynch Tripler

Where the switch goes depends on what you are trying to achieve and whether you have other effects or not. The diagram in the link above shows you the simplest configuration. However there are many possibilities. In my set up below, I run three signal chains and I can turn them on or off independently. I can add effects to each chain or add them in front to ensure they run in all chains. My wah for example is in front so it works on both amps.

Switch 1- Dirty - goes through the Voodoo Lab Microvibe, Overdrive, the O.C.D. and the Digidelay to a Marshall 18 watt

Switch 2 - Clean - goes through the Guyatone COmpressor, the TS9 and the CS9 to a Fender Deluxe Reverb

Switch 3 - goes into tuner only

DSC_0002-1.jpg

pedalboard.jpg

I use the "Startouch A/B/Y" , I run both amp all the time in Y-mode (Blues Jr. and Lonestar Special)

* Blues Jr. gets : DanEcho, Marshall Reflector, Crossroads Pedal

* The Boogie gets: TS808, Marshall Bluesbreaker, Wah, Janglebox(need it for the Ric 360/12)

and the EVH Phase90

The Startouch A/B/Y is handwired and needs no battery/power

This is what I use. In my opinion its the best.

Tonebone.jpg

This one looks good.

When I get my Super Champ, should be ordering today, I'll check out the tones, and see if I prefer the cleans, or the overdriven tones. I may use the Line 6 for the other, or I will just use the Super Champ, and not bother with an amp switcher for now.

It seems kinda cool to have to amps.

Any advantages to using two , one for clean and one for dirty, over using one for clean and dirty?

This one looks good.

When I get my Super Champ' date=' should be ordering today, I'll check out the tones, and see if I prefer the cleans, or the overdriven tones. I may use the Line 6 for the other, or I will just use the Super Champ, and not bother with an amp switcher for now.

It seems kinda cool to have to amps.

Any advantages to using two , one for clean and one for dirty, over using one for clean and dirty?[/quote']

This Switchbone is about the same price like the Superchamp

maybe you should think of an better amp#-o

Peter

This Switchbone is about the same price like the Superchamp

maybe you should think of an better amp#-o

Peter

Not with a cost of 9 US to a pound to bring in items. Shipping is way too expensive. All the other amps that I wanted would cost like half the cost of the amp to ship, so I settled on this one.

Not with a cost of 9 US to a pound to bring in items. Shipping is way too expensive. All the other amps that I wanted would cost like half the cost of the amp to ship' date=' so I settled on this one.[/quote']

Switchbones are made in Canada (Vancouver).....perhaps try ordering from a Canadian distributor?

It may save you a few pounds in the long run. I can give you some names if you PM me.

Switchbones are made in Canada (Vancouver).....perhaps try ordering from a Canadian distributor?

It may save you a few pounds in the long run. I can give you some names if you PM me.

Thanks blue, but I was talking about the amps. I don't really need a switcher, I was just asking to find out for my own information.

Thanks blue' date=' but I was talking about the amps. I don't really need a switcher, I was just asking to find out for my own information.[/quote']

Sorry! lol...In my defence I have been battling a nasty cold and I have been taking more NyQuil than I should.

Radial makes a simpler version as well called the Big Shot...

I have one and use it sometimes to switch between the two channels of an amp that does not have a foot switch for this. It has some nice ground lifting and polarity switching features which are helpful of your two amps don't play nicely together due to these issues.

Radial makes a simpler version as well called the Big Shot...

I have one and use it sometimes to switch between the two channels of an amp that does not have a foot switch for this. It has some nice ground lifting and polarity switching features which are helpful of your two amps don't play nicely together due to these issues.

It says its for 2 guitars to one amp, I think I'll go with a Morley ABC though.

Thanks, surfpup, I don't suppose you have experience with the Morley ABC mentioned?

I was going to run, one amp for clean, another for dirty, and maybe in a year or so when I get the stuff, an acoustic. For now the third will be either blank or tuner.

I will most likely go with the morley, because, it has led's to show which input is selected compared to the radial which has no led's.

Thanks' date=' surfpup, I don't suppose you have experience with the Morley ABC mentioned?

I was going to run, one amp for clean, another for dirty, and maybe in a year or so when I get the stuff, an acoustic. For now the third will be either blank or tuner.

I will most likely go with the morley, because, it has led's to show which input is selected compared to the radial which has no led's.[/quote']

No, I used the Morley A/B/Y which preceded the A/B/C - two channels and both as opposed to three independent switches. I can tell you that lights means batteries - no biggie, but if you want a simple switch with no batteries you have to give up lights - just depends on your needs.

No' date=' I used the Morley A/B/Y which preceded the A/B/C - two channels and both as opposed to three independent switches. I can tell you that lights means batteries - no biggie, but if you want a simple switch with no batteries you have to give up lights - just depends on your needs.

[/quote']

Nah, i'm fine with batteries... although, I don't really need one with batteries....You could hear which amps are on....hmmm, I'll compare the two and see, I guess with a good clean tone, a third channel for an acoustic amp with a piezo from an electric isn't really needed, the clean channel would suffice.

So surfpup, let me just clarify.

If I choose the Radial ABY switch, and one amp (clean) is the Fender Super champ xd and the other ( undecided, overdrive).

The third input, that could be used for the tuner, can I use that input for a wah, and will it work with either amp when either amp is on?

and lastly, if I use a splitter cable in the last input, as in a y cable, can both the tuner and wah work and be on all the time?

Archived