Gibson Brands Forums

Possessed Les Paul sucking life out of strings?`

mooboo

So I have me a nice little satin coated Les Paul studio. I love it! Except for the fact that I believe the person who assembled it may have cursed it, with voodoo magic.

I had it set up about a month ago, quite a while after purchasing it (Got it in Jan of 09, used from a man who bought it in Dec 08. Paid a good price, silly man). I had the luthier put on Gibson strings, which I never really liked all that much but I wanted to at least try them. After a good 2 weeks the top 3 strings were absolutely rusted. I didn't even play it because it would have torn up the frets! So I changed them with good old Ernie Ball Reg slinkies about a week ago. Today I pull it out to play (I spend most of my time playing my acoustic.. I know, the Paul needs more luvin!) and the top three are rusted again! Not entirely but it looks like just random spots are brown. It is on the verge of cautioning me to not play!

Now I know it isn't because of humidity because I have a tele "on display" in my room (stupid squire doesn't need a case) with Ernie Ball super slinkies installed. The Paul also sits in its case, all protected like.

So my final question is: What the heck!??! I don't even know what to think about all of this! Anyone have a new string suggestion, conditioning method, or voodoo removal ceremony they'd like to share?

I would also clean the inside of the case, especially where the 3 rusting strings contacts the case material. If there is any moisture, or salty residue from earlier sesions, it could be the culprit. Try leaving it out of the case for a couple weeks and see if that does it too.

I would also clean the inside of the case' date=' especially where the 3 rusting strings contacts the case material. If there is any moisture, or salty residue from earlier sesions, it could be the culprit. Try leaving it out of the case for a couple weeks and see if that does it too.[/quote']

+1............VBB is onto it..........

evidently theres some chemical inside your case thats rotting your strings,

OR......did your tech happen to get your strings "bootleg" somewhere? strings that have been wet (as in TRUCKLOAD, DIRT CHEAP FIRE SALE) will hold their own in the pack, but as soon as fres air hits them, almost instant rust ! The nickel outer wrap will keep them looking new until it "seeps" off the steel core through the winding.

Check the case REALLY well.........and do some digging about the strings themselves.

First things first.

Let's look at your fingers.

My oldest boy even touches one of my guitars it looks like somebody rubbed cheese against it.

I have oily skin, but his hands are - well, you get the idea.

What does your hand leave on the back of the neck after you've played?

Thumb and palm prints you can see in the light - or sticky, gooey smudges?

Where do you live?

Guitarest is in the middle of the Gulf Coast, I used to live in Houston.

Strings WILL rust in that environment, and anywhere in the South, East or Pacific NW.

Look for strings with high nickel content, that's why I started using them.

Maybe your Tele already enjoys them - it makes a difference.

And yes, if you have polish cloths, wash the hell out of them in hot water and dish soap.

Laundry soaps leave too much "softening and scenting" sh!t behind.

White cotton is another option, whatever you do make sure the guitar gets wiped down every time.

I had a horrible ''steadily-out-of-tune-on-the-first-bend'' experience, after trying Gibson strings on my Studio, on the first replacement. I was utterly disappointed to the fact that Gibson would even put their name on that shitty stuff...

No biggy however. Switched to my all-time favorites D'Addario. They keep me going, with excellent tunig stability, for a couple of months each time.

Highly recommended mate!

I had a horrible ''steadily-out-of-tune-on-the-first-bend'' experience' date=' after trying Gibson strings on my Studio, on the first replacement. I was utterly disappointed to the fact that Gibson would even put their name on that ****ty stuff...

No biggy however. Switched to my all-time favorites D'Addario. They keep me going, with excellent tunig stability, for a couple of months each time.

Highly recommended mate!

[/quote']

i love those strings. they last so long you just have to change them for fun XD

Keeping it in the case does not protect from rust. On the contrary, you have the moisture trapped in the case without any air flow. Couple that with the rust from the last time, and it can keep happening. Vacuum the inside of the case and let it dry out. Wash your hands when playing and wipe the strings before you put it down. I also have been a fan of D'Addario strings.

Keeping it in the case does not protect from rust. On the contrary' date=' you have the moisture trapped in the case without any air flow. Couple that with the rust from the last time, and it can keep happening. Vacuum the inside of the case and let it dry out. Wash your hands when playing and wipe the strings before you put it down. I also have been a fan of D'Addario strings.[/quote']

offtopic:

Becouse 11 is higher then 10, so even if you make 10 a little louder 11 should be higher then 10. in theory.

Archived