Gibson Brands Forums

(admin) legit '58 reissue w/letter?

ctkarslake

I was wondering what the Custom Shop guys thought about this guitar being offered. It has a couple of odd features, or in this case doesn't have. Like no "Les Paul model" silkscreened on headstock. Like the "Gibson" on the headstock is not pearl but in gold letters. And this letter apparently penned by an Edwin Wilson in 1999 explaining that it is a replica of a guitar from the Beauty of the Burst book. Thing is the guitar they copied (serial# 9 0875) would be from 1959 not from 1958, so why are they calling it an R8??? The reissue serial checks out with Gibson at #8 7130, R8 in vintage red. Have you guys heard of such reissue? The guitar looks beautiful and has a bigsby, something I've wanted for a while now so I'm really tempted...any insights? Just, please, don't bid against me!](*,)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-Gibson-Les-Paul-58-Historic-w-Bigsby-RARE-FEATURES_W0QQitemZ290363160338QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item439afe3712#ht_564wt_926

Thanks for the admin info. There were so many requests for admin I figured it was still an option, I stand corrected. When I called Gibson on the serial all he could say was a 1997 58 reissue vintage red, no details. And he said that the originals serial was from '62-'64(!???!) Just a little research and it seems to me (#90875) to be a '59 serial and that only. But that is not what the paperwork says. Oh, the confusion...think I'll give Gibson another chance on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived