Gibson Brands Forums

Fake ZW Camo Les Paul

bucketbot

Just bought one of these, it arrived today and I suspect it may be fake.

I sent pics to Gibson service & they are saying it's genuine as it has a genuine serial number.

However it has a laquered glossy neck so surely it must be a fake however convincing it looks apart from that?

Help!!

What about the fact that the neck is laquered?

For me that is a big issue as the only reason I bough this is because I wanted a Les Paul with an unfinished neck.

I sold an extremely pretty Standard to pay for it!!

Also p1ssed as the seller stated the Guitar was unplayed which it clearly is not! Lots of fret wear in the middle area of the fretboard in the vicinity of the High E to G strings & the board is so dirty it looks like someone wiped soot on it!

Looks OK to me.

For me that is a big issue as the only reason I bough this is because I wanted a Les Paul with an unfinished neck.

Then just sand the neck, yourself. I really can't see Gibson sending out necks with nothing on the wood to protect it...and don't be too concerned with future resale. I personally can't see those being very desirable or expensive to guitar collectors in the future.

I beg to differ...have seen other examples that most definitely had a completely unfinished neck with no laquer whatsoever.

Also quote from Gibson custom site:

The neck is a three-piece maple neck with no finish, giving the exact, slick feel of Wylde’s original.

Disagree...If that's true then maybe Gibson's idea of an infinished neck just means being able to see the wood....but I don't think so.

I doubt Zakk Wylde would agree with that either.

I have 2 Carvins with completely unfinished necks treated with tung oil. Awesome Guitars by the way!!

Just fancied a Gibson with something simlar.

As said I won't be enjoying it but sending it back. I made very sure that I would be able to return it before buying under e bay terms. No "as is" in the equation....the seller was quite specific about the guitars condition.

It simply is not as described......for me that's an issue. If you're not that fussy then whatever works for you.

After reading all the posts I have to ad this:

That guitar most surely does not have a laquered neck.

What you probably have is a neck that hasn't been properly wiped/cleaned after playing.

If it was a NEW guitar then that's a different thing, but reading it has some fretwear, then it must have been played a lot.

Unfinished necks are really hard to clean, if you dont do it properly they will retain some oils from hand sweat and with time they will form this kind of glossy finish on the neck.

How do I know this? I love unfinished necks and have sweaty hands :-k

I first shaved my epi's neck 14 years ago, then I got a peavey wolfgang custom (USA made) with a beautiful birdseye maple neck (lots of eyes on it!) and those two guitars were the ones I used onstage, 3 or 4 times a week, every week.

You wouldn't believe the amount of work it took to keep the wolfgang clean, the epi, being a cheaper guitar didn't get all that attention and care, and the neck ended just as shiny and glossy as my finished-necked guitars.

Archived