Gibson Brands Forums

Any play (or have played) A college level sport?

Basshole

I'm ashamed to say I played in my school's volleyball team... we won a couple championships. I also played soccer (which here is called football) but we didn't win anything (played for a year only).

In my defense, those are the main sports here when it comes to school, no football (as you know it) is played here.

I was almost talked into playing college football. Had a guy catch me at a frat party, and over a couple of games of pool and a few beers, he talked a pretty good game. Big guy... I guessed around 265, maybe 280. I figured offensive guard, maybe a defensive tackle.

Uh-uh. Nope. He was the starting safety. ;)

I played Rugby, instead... where the folks were human-sized. (2nd row, for those familiar).

I'm ashamed to say I played in my school's volleyball team... we won a couple championships. I also played soccer (which here is called football) but we didn't win anything (played for a year only).

In my defense' date=' those are the main sports here when it comes to school, no football (as you know it) is played here.[/quote']

I practiced with the women's volley ball team. They played rough and called me rotate.

Nope... orchestra a while until they found out through "pep band" that I was a lousy sight reader. After that the trumpet mostly went in the case and the guitar got increasing attention.

In high school our fencing team did have the West Point plebe and Yale Frosh on the varsity schedule. Snow cancelled the West Point contest as I recall and at Yale was the only time my folks saw me compete; drove down from Cambridge. Distances are a lot easier out there. <grin>

m

me. Big guy... I guessed around 265' date=' maybe 280. I figured offensive guard, maybe a defensive tackle.

Uh-uh. Nope. He was the starting safety. :-

I played Rugby, instead... where the folks were human-sized. (2nd row, for those familiar). [/quote']

I was 6'4" 280 pds. with 20 inch arms and went all state in High school twice playing Linebacker and I was way too small when I went to ASU. some of the monsters on the offensive line were huge and still just as fast there was a few times I felt like I had been hit by a car not another player.

Jeeze Surfer....

When I graduated from high school I was 5-7 and 132. Allowing for a bit of shrinkage nowadays I'm a shade over 5-9 and 160. Of course, in fencing that size didn't hurt me much, but high school football wasn't all that much fun.

m

Attempted to "walk-on" at Carolina. Didn't go well. My "want-to" couldn't overcome my lack of size coupled with a genuine lack of speed. Quickly considered other oportunities after several pummelings. Did play club rugby against other schools and intramural football, soccer, softball but definitely not varsity level activities.

Rob

yeah, well... Same weight as at 22, but the height is a tad less and the shape ain't quite the same. <grin> @#%@#$% And I can still pull my share of situps. Alas, 'tis a function of the years regardless.

m

Track and Field.

I threw the shot and hammer.

Hammer. Now there's a strength sport. The centrifugal force created as you spin around the ring is a total rush. Rocking back to spin on your heals takes a lot of strength and control.

I also ran the 200 meters and 100 meters once. But I was in a small NAIA school at the time. True story, the very next week when we competed against Westmont College their entire throwing team competed in the 200 meters after seeing me do it the previous week. That happened to be the week I ran the 100 so I didn't get to compete against them. It sure looked funny watching all these fleet-footed sprinters cross the finish line and all of a sudden around the corner comes all these big-ol' boys huffing and puffing their way to the finish line. I'll never forget that. It was just a great image.

Archived