Gibson Brands Forums

Chord Variation Help

mikeinitaly

Hi guys

I am a beginner guitarist and i am trying to sing a song by simply red called "holding back the years". the chords are Em9, A and Em. The problem is that my voice is deeper than the singers which is pretty high so i was wondering if i could ask you guys soe suggestions of some chord variations that would "suit" my voice?

Thanks for any evetual help

Michael

Michael

Not sure if I'm answering the question you need answered, but..

It sounds like the key of e minor is too high for you so you need to

drop the key down to where it's comfortable. If that is indeed what

you need then try dropping it down to d minor. So...

dm9, g, and dm. Or go even further to c minor -

cm9, f, and cm.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Michael, you simply to need to "walk back" the chords 'til you find the key you can actually sing the song in. I do this all the time because basically I suck as a singer. Also, I'm comfortable playing in the key of "G". However, some songs have integral parts that dictate where and how the song is played, (sometimes a capo helps with that, but as a matter of pride, I choose not to ever use one).

Okay.... so if you take your three chords and move them back two semitones, (2 frets...or 2 keys on the piano), the chords would then be Dm9 - G - Dm. If that's still too high, you can move it down another 2 semitones to Cm9 - F - Cm.

Of if you need to radically change the key, Gm9 - C - Gm.

Try this link, (copy & paste it in your browser). Over on the right side of the page is a box that says "Transpose Chords" where you can simply select "-2 semitones" and it will automatically transpose the chords for you.

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/s/simply-red/111940.html

Good Luck, Bob

yeah that's crazy i always use that web site but never knew what the transpose chords meant! you just opened up a whole new thing for me. i have been playing for a year now and i bought a gibson J-200 and I love playing so much. not having studied music makes it hard to understand these thigs though and I knew i could rely on a forum and the kind help of people like you

THANKS AGAIN

mike

yeah that's crazy i always use that web site but never knew what the transpose chords meant! you just opened up a whole new thing for me. i have been playing for a year now and i bought a gibson J-200 and I love playing so much. not having studied music makes it hard to understand these thigs though and I knew i could rely on a forum and the kind help of people like you

THANKS AGAIN

mike

Haha! That's exactly what happened to me a few years back. I always wondered what that Transpose thing was! I kept capo-ing everything, which doesn't always work. That Transpose thing is great. There's another site that works in a similar way, if you've got Microsoft word. It's www.logue.net You can transpose and print out your songs into any key. Yay for the internet!

Oh that one! I guess I need more caffeine this morning lol

I don't own that, but I love it. We think it's a double vine SJ200. I got the picture from the NAMM show last year. Isn't it a beauty?

Sometimes you have to hit the refresh button to get the pictures to appear larger.

Hi guys

I am a beginner guitarist and i am trying to sing a song by simply red called "holding back the years". the chords are Em9' date=' A and Em. The problem is that my voice is deeper than the singers which is pretty high so i was wondering if i could ask you guys soe suggestions of some chord variations that would "suit" my voice?

Thanks for any evetual help

Michael[/quote']

Michael, thanks for your question.... I looked up the song and am going to add it to my epertoire! It's a great old song and I love to add different stuff to what I do.

Bob

Archived