Gibson Brands Forums

does anyone know what this 1991 (bought in 92) model is called?

ragebol

Hi, just a word to the wise... Probably not the best thing to post a complete serial # on the web. Call 1-800-4-gibson and the guys there should be able to tell you real quick what model it is.

Hey ragebol--

Welcome to the forum!

I believe that is an ES-335 Studio, which was a version of the 335 line that was produced in the late 1980s and early 1990s if I am not mistaken. Those should be Gibson Dirty Finger humbuckers if they are the original pickups. It also has an access panel on the back, right?

Ignatius

i think that is called an ES-333

a 335 w/out F-holes' date=' i have seen em before, but only in amber

and they where called ES-333[/quote']

Nope. It's an ES-335 Studio. The ES-333 looks exactly like an ES-335 (f-holes, bound fingerboard, etc.) except that it has a satin finish and an access panel on the back. Unlike the current satin finish 335, the 333 had the access panel, a bound fingerboard, and the 490/498 pickups, none of which are on the satin finish ES-335. Also, the 333 was only made from 2003-2005.

link to ES-333 info here (with picture)

link to info on ES-335 here(scroll down for info on ES-335 Studio)

I would be willing to bet big bucks that it is the ES-335 Studio, and it might be one of the last run because they were discontinued in 1991.

Ignatius

however' date=' in the link ignatius provide it is mentioned that the es 335 studio is solid. Mine is not solid, it is a semi hollow with closed top.[/quote']

Hmmm. I don't see a reference to it being solid in the link I provided, which is the catalog page from the Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide. I did see references to "a solid guitar" in TLSG's first link, but I think the webpage author is using "solid" in a metaphoric sense. I think he means that the guitar is a really good, strong piece of work. I don't think he means it is a "solidbody," which would be the proper term to use, not "solid."

You are correct that your guitar is a semi-hollow although I bet some people are surprised at how heavy it is when they first pick it up. I think most ES-335s (f-holes or not) actually weigh more than most Fender Telecasters and other, non-Les Paul solidbody guitars. That block down the middle is a serious piece of wood!

By the way, thanks for posting pictures. That is a nice-looking guitar, and I don't usually go for black guitars myself, but yours has a nice look to it.

Ignatius

Sorry you're right ignatius, it was the other link. I thought the author was talking about a solid body because he states that the es 335 studio is heavier than a les paul and i know that mine is not. It's not a big difference but it is definitly not " way heavier than a lp". This was the remark that confused me bit. But I agree that mine is an 335 studio, thanks alot for the help, Now i finaly now what it is, after 16 years O:)

Archived