Gibson Brands Forums

I want to go from this... to this.

FuzzyKing

The cost of putting binding on the fretboard would probably be more than the cost of the guitar. The frets would need ot be pulled, they would need to shave down the edge of the fretboard, put on the binding, refinish that area, then put new frets on.

In other words, if you want real binding, just buy the standard. better investment in the long run. other possibility would be to paint it on, but that would be kinda lame.

Yeah, I prefer the binding myself. As noted earlier, the cost benefit is unbalanced. If you can part with your Epi, a SG Standard will run you about a grand +/- USED. However, I've seen Gibson SGs on my local Craigslist for as little as $700 - I'm talkin' the Standard, not a Faded or Special (not that there's anything wrong with those by any means!).

You may have thought I was being a jerk' date=' but it would be a better investment to just buy the real thing and use the Epi and a secondary guitar. Even after the mods its still a 250.00 Epi.[/quote']

Jerk....

Bwahahahahahaha.

#-o/

Nothing wrong with the Epi but don't waste your money trying to turn it into a Gibson. Did you also plan on replacing the electronics? If so, now you're really spending way more than what the guitar is worth. I've seen used SG Standards up here in Canada for $900. I'm sure you can find them where ever you live for the same, if not less. Keep the Epi and save up, or sell the Epi at a bit of a loss and put the money towards a Gibson.

Nice color on that Epi, Fuzzy, but I'm with Tim (AreNine).

Unless it's "really" special to you I wouldn't do that.

But, hey, it's really only a few hundred here, and a few hundred there. If ya wanna, go for it.

:D

Archived