Gibson Brands Forums

Does anybody alter their pickup heights ?

Ronnie Robinson

..particulary on their SG ? What heights work best - or distance from the strings

I fitted a set of Classic 57 plus pickups on my bridge about four months ago and have got a bit uninspired with the sound at gigs, however whilst cleaning the SG the other day noticed the pickups looked quite low, too low, a quick check on the Gibson web site for recommended heights and Ive raised them up about 3 mm- still a little lower than recommended by Gibson , but the tone is much improved with increased articulation.Last night the tone was great and I feel like Im playing a new guitar.

Just go by ear, I typically have my bridge pickup right up next to the strings, I do everything by ear, but this gives you a really hot sound and is less woody than lowering it down a bit. After I get my bridge pickup to where I want it I adjust the neck pickup to be the same volume which the top of that pickup is usually just barely sticking out passed the pickguard.

Yep, I've heard of the strings being pulled but Gibby explains how to know if the pups are too close

"(which is heard as a slightly dissonant, atonal sound, like an out-of-tune harmonic that follows the root note)"

Now too bad I'm tone deaf...

Archived