Gibson Brands Forums

what neck size do you guys prefer???

Gibson CS

I bought my Silverburst Standard with the 60s neck, because the only 50s neck LP the store had in stock was on a Studio and I definitely did not like it, felt like a Louisville Slugger. With that experience in the back of my mind, I was looking for a 61 RI SG for my next Gibson, then I saw the R7 (drool, drool). After picking that up, I found a HUGE difference between the 50s neck on the Studio and the 50s neck on the Custom. I don't know if it was psychological or what the difference was, but I loved the feel of the R7 with the 50s neck. Go figure.

Long way around to say if it feels right, just DO IT!!!

I bought my Silverburst Standard with the 60s neck' date=' because the only 50s neck LP the store had in stock was on a Studio and I definitely did not like it, felt like a Louisville Slugger. With that experience in the back of my mind, I was looking for a 61 RI SG for my next Gibson, then I saw the R7 (drool, drool). After picking that up, I found a HUGE difference between the 50s neck on the Studio and the 50s neck on the Custom. I don't know if it was psychological or what the difference was, but I loved the feel of the R7 with the 50s neck. Go figure.

Long way around to say if it feels right, just DO IT!!! [/quote']

That's because your R7 does not have a 50s neck. It's confusing at first, but Custom Shop LPs have different neck sizes than Gibson USA guitars. They may have similar names, but they're not the same.

Your R7 is much thicker than a 50s neck - it's an "early" 50s neck. My Custom has a rounded neck, which is wider than a Gibson 50s neck. Your R7's neck is even wider than my Custom's. If I'm not mistaken, R7s and R8s have the widest necks of all LPs.

Archived