Gibson Brands Forums

Question for Ignatius or Mark

epinder

Not Luke or John?? Sorry, as I was typing I saw a theme there.

A few months ago there was a discussion regarding a show at the Dupage County Fairgrounds. I can't remember when you said it was to be held.

I'm going to be in Glen Ellyn the last week of April and I'm hopeful that this is the month. If it's not, could you please let me know the dates?

Thank you in advance

Mike

Hey Mike--

Ah, such a good theological reference! It warms this theology teacher's heart to see it. :) But enough of that, I don't want to get your thread banned for discussion of religion. But I am honored to get a shout-out in a post title.

In any case, here is a link to the Texas Guitar Shows website (they are the folks who arrange the DuPage show): Texas Guitar Shows

The upcoming one is planned for May 17-18, but I encourage you to check out the site above anyway. There are some nice photos of previous shows that should help you to be sure to pencil these dates on the calendar ASAP.

Ignatius

EDIT: Bummer, I didn't look until now to see that you call Phoenix home, and I don't think that there is a Phoenix, Illinois. Check out the site anyway; it might be worth a re-schedule of your trip, or maybe one of the other shows is closer.

Thanks for getting back to me. Thanks for web site. I would have driving to the Fairgrounds and swearing a lot when I couldn't find the show. I noticed the shows location is going to be in St Chas.

I guess I'll be traveling back to Chicago twice. That's all right though, gives me an oppurtunity to enjoy the restaurants (Portillos, Gene & Judes, Russel's) on 2 different occasions.

To keep this on a Gibson related thread, I'm hoping to find a left hand 335??? We'll see.

Thanks for getting back to me. Thanks for web site. I would have driving to the Fairgrounds and swearing a lot when I couldn't find the show. I noticed the shows location is going to be in St Chas.

I guess I'll be traveling back to Chicago twice. That's all right though' date=' gives me an oppurtunity to enjoy the restaurants (Portillos, Gene & Judes, Russel's) on 2 different occasions.

To keep this on a Gibson related thread, I'm hoping to find a left hand 335??? We'll see.[/quote']

Mmmmm. . . . Portillo's and Russell's. Only some of the best food around! I love 'em both. Where is Gene & Jude's? What do they serve there? If you like the other two, then I know I will like Gene & Jude's as well.

And my apologies for missing your reference to the Fairgrounds. I should have emphasized that it is the Expo Center, but you caught it yourself.

Hey, if we're all going to be there, we should try to work something out as a signal to wear or something so we can actually meet each other. I know I have to finally get a face attached to Mark, especially since his last comment that he felt at home during his visit to Alcatraz.

Ignatius

Gene n Judes is a little hot dog stand on River Road just north of Grand Avenue in Franklin Park.

Do you remember the Thirsty Whale? It's now a gas station and GnJ is to the north of the BP Amoco. All they serve are hot dogs w/fries. The fries are fresh and greasy.

Nothing but the best.

Maybe we try to hook up, I've got to look at the Cubs schedule to see if maybe I can see a game that weekend. I figure I'll see the show one day and a Cubs game the other day that weekend.

Life is good!!!

Hey guys, Count me in a get together. Try to set aside some time and money for Summer Jam in Nashville.

Hey theres a Portillos across the street from the EXPO center. Unfortunatly I have Celiac disease and can't enjoy

those types of foods anymore, but I'll find somthing to eat.

I'll be there. I will wear my "Where's Ignatius" shirt

Last time I was there I bought my PRS

Mark

• 1 month later...

Mark and Ignatius:

I've got a favor to ask you. I know that I wanted to be in town for the show, but when I mentioned to an associate that I was planning a trip to Chicago, he decided he should go to. He currently resides in California, so he figured he would drive to Phoenix on Friday and I could take him golfing on Saturday and Sunday.

His thoughts are that there isn't anything happening on the construction sites over the weekend so why arrive and do nothing. He's not my superior, but he is the person I take direction from, so his wish is my command and we won't be arriving in Chicago until Monday morning.

Anyway, as for the favor, I am looking for a newer (but used) left handed Gibson 335. Something from 2000 and newer. While you're enjoying the show, if you spot one, could you get some info on it.

Thanks in advance,

Good Luck and enjoy the show.

Mike

Hey epinder--

It looks like my post was one of those lost. What I said was this: shoot me a PM with your phone number as well, and I will be on the lookout if I go to the show. I did also note that I might not be able to go because one of our cats has just been diagnosed with cancer, and so my guitar fund may become a cat treatment fund. Still, I might go over to the show to look at pickups for my ES-125 if this first round of treatment for the cat goes well tomorrow.

Ignatius

Hey Mark--

I don't know if you want to add your two cents, but I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed with this "premiere" guitar show put on by Texas Guitar Shows. Given that they only mount four shows a year, I was expecting a MASSIVE amount of gear at the DuPage Expo Center. What I saw instead was floor space about the size of a typical Guitar Center. Now, true, it was devoted entirely to guitars and basses, but it was very heavy on Les Pauls and Telecasters, and what was worse, there were only two booths dedicated to parts and effects (except for one or two sideline one-trick ponies like DR Strings), and no one was really pushing or demoing amps in any substantial fashion. I did see ARK amps, which are some very woody looking boutique amps, but that was it.

I mean, where was the Victoria Amp Co.?? These are handmade reproductions of the specs of vintage Fender and Gibson amps, made right in Naperville, IL, and they were not present there. True, I saw some Victoria Amps on the floor, but were they for sale, or were they there just to demo guitars? I wanted the chance to A/B not just new amps but also to put some vintage amps through their paces. And sadly, the selection of ES-335s was pretty much limited to either a couple new ones or else very expensive vintage.

Prices were predictable, and there was a fine selection, yes, but there were no surprises or great finds. I did see one very beautiful LP clone made by Bell Custom Guitars, and the American-made new Gretschs are beautiful, yes, but at $12 a person, I want to be blown away by surprises.

I think I saw enough brand new "relic" Telecasters to get me through the next decade. The funny thing is that even as a relic, they still don't get the real mojo of the old guitars. Some of the vintage Guild and Harmony hollow-bodies were full of mojo--and full of big pricetags to boot.

It's too bad that there isn't a better guitar show available in Chicagoland in the summers. I guess I am just going to have to sit happy with my ES-125 for the time being.

Ignatius

Ignatius:

Thank you for the review. I read your PM first thing this morning. I didn't really think that there would be many left handed guitars at the show, but I'm always hopeful. I think that I might have enjoyed the show though, as being a lefty I do enjoy looking at beautiful guitars without the worry of a GAS attack.

I agree w/you regarding this relic craze. Let's be honest, all the manufacturers have done is to create a market where one never existed. A new reliced Tele is not the same as a vintage Tele. All you end up with is an over priced new guitar that looks old. Makes no sense to me. Plus I like to keep my possesions in the best shape possible. I've got an acoustic that's over forty years old but is in better condition than a lot of 5 year old guitars. It is my 1st el cheapo Slvertone that my parents bought for me and the value of it is zilch, but I'll never sell it. It's worth a million to me.

That's also one of the reasons I'm not looking for a vintage 335. At my level of playing, if I were to buy a $10,000 Gibson 335 it wouldn't make me sound any better than a used $2000 (newer) 335.

I thank you and Mark (I read his review in the LP section) for keeping me appraised of the equipment at the show. They should hold a guitar show in Chicago during the Lollapaloza week. To me that would be the week to show ones wares to music lovers. O:)

As I said in my PM, my prayers are with you, your wife, and more importantly your kitty for a speedy and HEALTHY recovery.

Thanks again,

Mike

ps: I arrive in Chicago tomorrow about noon. 1st stop Portillo's. Yum Yum. Hope the weather cooperates.

Archived