Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of this one?

Gilliangirl

If it's still available, I will go out and do a test drive! I may have to sell the J-185, as much as I love the sound. It has a larger neck than Magic and it throws me way off when I'm picking. You wouldn't think such a small amount could make such a difference, but it does. The more complicated the playing, the more it matters what the neck size is, for me anyway.

1975 J-55

If it's still available' date=' I will go out and do a test drive! I may have to sell the J-185, as much as I love the sound. It has a larger neck than Magic and it throws me way off when I'm picking. You wouldn't think such a small amount could make such a difference, but it does. The more complicated the playing, the more it matters what the neck size is, for me anyway.

1975 J-55

play it first. i playeda '71 recently and it was most unremarkable.

If it's still available' date=' I will go out and do a test drive! I may have to sell the J-185, as much as I love the sound. It has a larger neck than Magic and it throws me way off when I'm picking. You wouldn't think such a small amount could make such a difference, but it does. The more complicated the playing, the more it matters what the neck size is, for me anyway.

1975 J-55

Funny isn't it

"The first cut IS the deepest"

For you it's Magic

for me a 79 Norlin J45

If you lived around the corner N!k and I would fight ya for the J185!

Hey Karen,

You know all "the stuff" -- Norlin era, overbuilt and overbraced, etc., etc.

So take it for a test drive and see.

Most of the '70s Gibsons I've tried were as cunk said, "unremarkable", perhaps "unworthy" would be appropriate.

But you never know what you'll find!

Fred

That's what we are living for, Karen.

Go & check it out.

These are instruments.

They produce sound.

If you prefere that sound - just do what you have to do.

Go for YOUR PERSONAL SOUNDING GUITAR.

For me - I know allready - I will never leave M-R GIBS till the end of my life, for HE is produsing the SOUND I need for a steumming guitar.

And now after the set up he is brilliant for fingerpicking too.

Oh... And I whish you THE VINE #-o

I really do not mean to be negative but after playing more 1970s Gibsons than I care to remember, I think the Norlin-era guitars deserve every bit of their rather bad reputation.

Yeah, the neck on that '75 will be pretty thin. But I swear those 1970s guitars have the bulkiest, heaviest top bracing in the history of Gibson. In 1971 Gibson (which had already gone to a much bulkier bracing in 1969) actually started using an even more brutish Double X bracing system. Means the guitars are built like a tank but unfortunately top flutter is pretty much non-existant.

But as someone said, sound is a pretty subjective thing. Just saying do not be swayed by the thought of owning an "older" Gibson.

It has a larger neck than Magic and it throws me way off when I'm picking. You wouldn't think such a small amount could make such a difference' date=' but it does.[/quote']

That's one reason I don't mess with my Tele anymore. The different scale WILL throw you off.

As a gigging electric lead player, long jumps become normal, until you change the length of the neck........

:D

As a Martin player, I never was impressed with the newer Gibsons I tried. Then I found my '74 J-50 and it is the Gibson that did it for me. It might not move most Gibson lovers, I don't know. All I know is that I love the tone. I have heard others with 70's models say the same. I played a friends '70 J-45 and didn't like it at all. IMHO, I'd definately give it a try. You never know what you might find.

Hey Karen! You know what I tell you comes from the heart. As others have said, PLAY IT FIRST!!! Then decide if you want it. Those '70 models were indeed a different beast. I'd hate to see you lose a treasured guitar for something new that just doesn't work out tonewise. Tread lightly, Sweetheart!!!

Yes, I'm not expecting it to be good, but I'm keeping an open mind. The only Norlin guitar I've played is an Epiphone Caballero, weird thing, sort of a yellow colour laminate, with a fret at the nut. The thing was awful to play and sounded worse. [-X But I know there's some good ones too!

The guy has not emailed me back so maybe it's already gone. :-(

John, you're right about the first cut. When I play the J-185, it sounds so good, but takes awhile to get used to it and it never plays as well as Mag. Then when I get back with Mag, I have to readjust and it's frustrating. Larry, don't worry. I will not act hastily. I'm even considering getting a custom done now. It will be hard to part with Lily if I do, but if I can't play it, I can't play it.

ES, I will let you know if I decide to sell.

Although not an acoustic, my '79 "Norlin" SG is a flame thrower.

Perfect guitar, and tons of mojo.

Not all Norlins are bad. 10K will not buy this guitar.

A book will tell you it's worth $400.00.

Bite me, book.......

[-o</

Although not an acoustic' date=' my '79 "Norlin" SG is a flame thrower.

Bite me, book.......

:D/ [/quote']

It's acutal $900-1000 now. [-o<

There are alot of gems in the norlin guitars...but alot of **** in there to. Like a junkyard!

Yes' date=' I'm not expecting it to be good, but I'm keeping an open mind. The only Norlin guitar I've played is an Epiphone Caballero, weird thing, sort of a yellow colour laminate, with a fret at the nut. The thing was awful to play and sounded worse. =D> But I know there's some good ones too!

The guy has not emailed me back so maybe it's already gone. :-(

John, you're right about the first cut. When I play the J-185, it sounds so good, but takes awhile to get used to it and it never plays as well as Mag. Then when I get back with Mag, I have to readjust and it's frustrating. Larry, don't worry. I will not act hastily. I'm even considering getting a custom done now. It will be hard to part with Lily if I do, but if I can't play it, I can't play it.

ES, I will let you know if I decide to sell.[/quote']

GG There are many many J 50s of the late 50s and mid 60s out there . Some just like Gillians in the $2000 range Id wait and get an earlier one.! There a good buy and investment right now. For my money they sound so much better. My 2 cents. =D>

Subu, I was watching one J-50 on eBay recently. It was all original, just a beautiful thing. It just sold for $3979.00 or something like that. They are still commanding a hefty price. I'll keep watching tho'.

By the way, that Cowboy Junkies cd is sooooo nice.

I had one of the in 1986. You wont have to worry about over buit bracing on the back - because it dosnt have any!! Remember that the back is arched and laminated. Actually quite nice. It was very similar to the Gospel but mahogany instead of maple. It was a nice instrument. I dont however, think I would trade or sell a J-185 for it though. Try it out for sure though. Thats the best way to decide.

Although not an acoustic' date=' my '79 "Norlin" SG is a flame thrower.

Bite me, book.......

:-/ [/quote']

The Norlin-era electrics are actually quite a bit better thought of than the acoustics - if ya can forgive them that humongous Lester headstock and volute.

I need to find out where those folks selling even well played late 1950s J-50s for $2K and buying mid-1970s J-50s for $4K are. Based on what I can pick the Norlin-era guitars up for and get for a 1950s J-50, I could pocket about $4K on just two sales at those prices.

I need to find out where those folks selling even well played late 1950s J-50s for $2K and buying mid-1970s J-50s for $4K are. Based on what I can pick the Norlin-era guitars up for and get for a 1950s J-50' date=' I could pocket about $4K on just two sales at those prices.

[/quote']

No no, Zomby, the one on eBay that went for almost 4 thousand was a 1955, all original, in immaculate condition! Sorry, I realize my post was misleading.

Archived