Gibson Brands Forums

Echo vs. Delay

guitarmanjt

Not the same thing...

Echo is the result of sound bouncing agains a surface naturally, as it's a natural effect it decreases each time it bounces (like when you dropp a rubber ball and it bounces on the floor, each time the new bounce takes it lower).

While delay is the result of (duh) delaying the sound, this was first done using a tape, and guess who was among the first to do it?

The man, Les Paul himself. Innovator in recording as much as in guitar.

Ok, with delay you can control the amount of repeats and the level of them. You can also use the original sound so it will sound like echo (a sound source repeated) or leave it out to have the fx sound when you want it to "repeat" itself. You can also reverse it or do some really crazy stuff.

A good digital delay can do everything an ancient Roland Space Echo can do except have actual moving tape loops that wear out.

Dude, have you tried the Boss reissue of the roland unit? I know it's not actually a reissue (it's a pedal and it has different circuit) but I'm so GASsing for one right now anyway=p~

Echoecho echo echo echo

Digital Delay....Digital Delay.....Digital Delay....Digital Delay.....Digital Delay....

Analogue Delay....Analogue Del.... Analogue d... ana...

Ha! This is a great description ChanMan.

Echoecho echo echo echo

Digital Delay....Digital Delay.....Digital Delay....Digital Delay.....Digital Delay....

Analogue Delay....Analogue Del.... Analogue d... ana...

This is the simplest' date=' most conciese and most effective answer to this question I've ever seen. [crying

Archived