Gibson Brands Forums

Veterans Day is Coming Up... Honor a Veteran Here

pumpkin

this is my Daddy.

he was in the 101st Airborne & served in Vietnam july 68-69

he is an amazing husband, daddy & grandpa. i love him so much & everyone that meets him does too.

here are some pictures i took of a scrapbook i made for him using his old basic training in Ft Polk, La. then his adavnced infantry training in Tigerland & Vietnam pictures.

enjoy...

sb64.jpg

sb32.jpg

sb42.jpg

sb22.jpg

sb12.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb53.jpg

this is what i usually use as my signature each year on another message board i post on. i change it every year to the current Veterans Day Poster...

collage2008.jpg

Bless you and your dad Mxx

A docudrama was on on last night about the prisoners who were involved in the real 'Great Escape' and their cruel murders by the Nazi's who ignored the Geneva convention and hunted them down, as they had embarrassed them.

Three elderly escapees, spoke candidly (and even sympathetically to an extent) of the men that murdered their colleagues, saying if they (the nazis) hadn't have shot their colleagues dead, their own families would have be killed by their superiors. One poor German lady, whose father was one of the Nazi officers who was found guilty,for his hand in one of the Great Escape murders, said how her father in every letter from prison, wrote that he had just followed orders.

She said even today, she looks at photos and thinks; guilty? or not guilty?

Someone on the Gibson forum said recently he doesn't always agree with the politics on why 'we' go to war, but he offers a huge thanks and gratitude for those who are fighting, and I toast that sentiment sincerely.

Thank God for the soldiers who fought the Nazis and all the oppressive enemies since!

Mattx

My Dad was a Veteran of WW2 and Korea, and I stand corrected from what I had said before about Him joining the Merchant Marine in WW2...He was regular Navy on a Merchant Vessel (Gunner's Mate), and I don't know what He did in Korea, but He volunteered for both, in WW2 He lied about His age (He was only 17 when He joined). My Mom once told me He wanted to volunteer for 'Nam, but couldn't because He had too many kids, or He was too old, or something along those lines, I'll have to ask Her one of these days. They laid Him to rest yesterday. I don't have any pictures of him online, nor do I own a scanner.

[crying]

AS the son of a HIGHLY DECORATED KOREAN VETERAN of the USMC ,I joined the USMC and end up in VIET NAM.

I served my country with PRIDE and honor and was appalled by the way we were treated upon our return as if we had a decision on what orders to follow and which ones not to.

BOTH those wars KOREA and VIET NAM we had NO BUSINESS BEING IN.

The USA was afraid to cross the 38th parallel in KOREA for fears that the RED CHINESE would get involved and the same in VIET NAM...so we sacrifice over 125,THOUSAND between BOTH WARS.

Not to mention that thought we lost 53 thousand men in VIET NAM ,150,000 committed suicide after coming home.

I had some problems with PTSD and now with my liver and lungs and am on a 80 % disability and am up for review in 2 weeks at that time i should be upgraded to 100%.

Still I feel I served HONORABLY, I received two PURPLE HEARTS, yet did not feel I deserved the same VIET NAM SERVICE RIBBON my UNCLE"S got who were there during TET.

It was the men in my PTSD group who told me you went there to bring back those who we could not and you do deserve that medal and they even had another ceremony and gave me a new one for I had tossed my first way

I thank YOU ALL FOR THANK THOSE VETS WHO SERVED AND ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO GAVE THE ultimate sacrifice.

I wish now people would realize that MEMORIAL DAY is NOT the OPENING OF THE SHORE...but the day we honor those men/boys.women who gave the ultimate sacrifice

GOD BLESS THE USA BUT GOD BLESS THOSE WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY .

THANK YOU

ST James

USMC retired

this is my Daddy.

he was in the 101st Airborne & served in Vietnam july 68-69

he is an amazing husband' date=' daddy & grandpa. i love him so much & everyone that meets him does too.

here are some pictures i took of a scrapbook i made for him using his old basic training in Ft Polk, La. then his adavnced infantry training in Tigerland & Vietnam pictures.

enjoy... [/quote']

Tell your father "Thanks for serving", from me!

My unit in 'Nam was attached to the 101st Airborne, (155mm Howitzer Battery), but I got there just after your dad had left, (January, 1970).

I describe war as 97% total boredom and 3% sheer hell. Most only recall the 3%.

St. James thinks he doesn't deserve the Vietnam Service Ribbon, but I tend to disagree....he earned every thread of it!

Bob

I'm sure he was a great man.

he IS' date=' not was.

he & my mom have been married 42 years last week. he is an only child, im an only child & i have an only child. my daughter is his whole life now.

i think (and so do most people) tnhat he looks a lot like Clint Eastwood

this is him teaching her to shoot last summer:

[img']http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/pumpkinpea/IMG_16552.jpg[/img]

helping her easter egg hunt when she was 2:

scan00032.jpg

walking w/ the kiddo teaching her that people shouldnt litter & picking up trash.

scan00042.jpg

a big ole fish:

scan2.jpg

my moms name is Esther... he named his jeep after her in vietnam:

scanmom2.jpg

my mom & daddy on a cruise:

Image0033.jpg

i wish every single one of yall could meet him! he is such a great man.

and thank you all so much for sharing your veterans too.

Happy Veteran's Day!

Here's a salute to my Dad...

He lied about his age in order to join the Marine Corps at age 16 during WWII. He had survived 5 invasions by the time he was 18. He and a buddy held off a banzai charge on Saipan, for which he was nominated for a Bronze Star. His war ended when he was nearly killed by a mortar round. He had to dig himself out from the earth that had covered him, was found and carried back... only to be simply left in a hallway in the hospital ship, as they figured he would die.

When he was still alive three days later, they figured he would live and put him back together.

To me, he defines the very essence of the word "tough".

Love you Dad.

Archived