Gibson Brands Forums

My Favourite current guitarist- for open minds...

Duende

This guy is a Scottish musician called Roy Marchbank. I have been a fan of his since I purchased his album after my wife became friends with him on the Joe Satriani forum 'Talk To Joe'.

His influences are varied and he was inspired by many of the big shred names, but he has created something new and original in my opinion.

Here is him playing electric guitar with a chamber orchestra.

Here is his latest piece 'Monsoon'. Very ambient and innovative!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E9w_Tin0Wo

Matt

Come on Matt, you know if his name isn't Slash, Jimmy Page or he's never played in Thin Lizzy or The Allman Brothers, we don't wanna hear it....:^o

He is very good, and interesting in his own way, but I think I got car sick watching the second vid, waiting for some guitar to come in :-k

Open minds' date='here?

You're funny Matt.:-k [/quote']

AXE® is my current favorite guitarist... and it has litttle to do with his playing :^o

I'll think on this one Sear... I've been going back to the old blues guitarists lately... John Lee Hooker and such, but I'll have to think on it to pick a favorite....

Come on Matt' date=' you know if his name isn't Slash, Jimmy Page or he's never played in Thin Lizzy or The Allman Brothers, we don't wanna hear it....=;

He is very good, and interesting in his own way, but I think I got car sick watching the second vid, waiting for some guitar to come in [-X [/quote']

I really like the whale type sounds he gets. A fretless guitar and maybe an e bow are the way to go, it has left an impression on me.

I like the way his pieces use the guitar so differently and sometimes very sparsely.

LOL, Screw it!! Maybe I should write to him and ask him to just crank the gain to 10 and just solo a mad pentatonic scale over his work to improve it LMAO

Matt

Here is him playing electric guitar with a chamber orchestra.

Here is his latest piece 'Monsoon'. Very ambient and innovative!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E9w_Tin0Wo

Matt

Thanks for sharing those links Matt' date=' I liked them a lot, I havo to admit I've always found it extremely dificult to even think about playing with, an orchestra... I wouldn't know what to do[blush'] but your friend sure does. Good playing: it ads to the whole thing, and interesting guitar (talk about fret access!). The second video was... relaxing[cool] does he play all the instruments there?

Again thanks for sharing this.

One of my all-time favorite guitarists--Michael Hedges. He died in a car accident about 10 years ago. He was part of the Windham Hill gang. An amazing talent

You should check some of his other videos out. His playing actually brings a tear to my eye sometimes. Just a little manly tear.

I think I have a few problems with this one because, to be blunt, the music I like is pretty traditional - whether rock, country, "classical" or whatever.

Guitar players I've heard lately seem pretty much like other guitar players in whatever genre, or they're so experimental it's kinda like listening to a Bartok string quartet, something to appreciate, but not as a daily diet of music.

It seems to me the major shifts in guitar music came with first the practical and economic electric guitar and amp, then with some of the electronic add-ons and... then as far as mainstream music goes, darned little difference.

So... I don't like sounding like a grouchy old man, but no breakthroughs, no Les Paul innovators...

Honestly, I think we're in a situation where there's so much difference in various strains of musical styles available on far more types of outlet than in the 50s era of electric guitar expansion, and with far less "mainstream" media exposure... I'm not sure how I might answer your question, Matt.

Also we've the "who do you listen to" question to consider. Some of us may listen to many styles, I do, but consider influence from only a few.

I've been getting more personal input from traditional jazz keyboard players than guitar players.

So... I dunno. I think you're "atypical" in the sense of what and why you are listening to a wider range of contemporary music than most of us are likely to listen to. The youngsters on the board are listening to "their" stuff, and are more likely to consider them as "tops" or will look at relatively recent artists.

I'm trying to look back into the entire era in which one might find recorded music and... it seems after the 70s or so, there are so many skilled and talented technicians doing their own thing for shrinking market segments that I don't know how to point to anyone currently playing and having a "name" even regionally recognized.

m

Bluemoon, that was new to me and it was great. Now I know of Michael Hedges! Thank you

ThunderGod

I think he is playing everything there. He made me double take when I first heard him, because his phrasing and technique on this particular piece, was a cross between a flamenco guitarist and an all out modern shredder. To add to the mix, he played always on clean with a different tonal palette than I was used to!

We bought his album shortly after. It is called 'Widowmaker's highway' the name given to the secret road that allegedly leads to area 51. The story goes that many men who took the route died mysteriously. So there is an element of secrecy and the supernatural in his music which I enjoy,

Miold, That was an interesting read (as always[cool] ) I would love you to be over here and drink with me, Suzie and her old piano teacher. He is adamant jazz, blues, popular music are not so much art music, but entertainment.

His is actually a really nice guy, but in my opinion a music snob. He says a lot of stuff I agree with about the general public with Classical music. He says people always like all the 'favourites' because they are "easy on the emotions" and don't require much from the listener....

So then me and him get into heated drunken debates about if music should require that you bust a gut to get it...LMAO....

I think not, but another thread on that alone!!!

Sometimes I wind him up and say things like "the piano is a mechanical instrument compared to the Classical guitar because hammers connect with the string where as the fingers have direct contact with the string on the guitar. That m,akes him see red!!!!![-X=;:-k

Matt

Yeah, I'm pretty much into the "you should not have to bust a gut to understand the music" school of thought.

In ways that's kinda what happened to a lotta jazz in the 40s and 50s and what had happened to a lot of "classical" music far, far earlier.

On the other hand, in ways one might make a case that certain types of rock similarly have entered this cavern.

I don't think things have to necessarily be "pleasant," but should be something one might listen to without feeling one should have a notebook at hand to take notes as to what's happening musically.

I just got back from an hour's drive and was listening to the old Stones "Honkey Tonk Women." That's to me an example of "raw" but understandable music.

Also Matt... I'm also into the "I like guitar because it's a lot more interface between the musician and the instrument." Keyboards can play more notes in a given time span, but...

m

Using the copyrighted milod way :D of arguing the other side (and annoying close family members in turn) there is music I have grown to love and enjoy, that wasn't initially easy to listen to as well.

One piece I play that I love (and that audiences on the whole do not, unless they are other guitarists,) is Benjamin Britten's Nocturnal. This and other pieces are very rewarding and fun to play, but if I am honest, if I was sitting there listening to it I don't know how I would feel about it. It certainly isn't 'easy on the emotions' like Suzie's piano teacher says, but a masterpiece never the less in my opinion.

I suppose I am 50/50 on the effort issue: I don't think you should 'bust a gut' , to gain from a piece of music, but there are some instances where you should stick with it and not dismiss it straight away.

Milod, I remember when I first heard Iron Maiden when I was 11. I was so unaccustomed to the heavy metal wall of sound, it sounded on the first few listens like just very loud sound. My ears tuned in after several listens and I could hear all the melodies and harmonies and the penny dropped! I have become addicted to that feeling of finding new music and experiencing that high of the penny dropping!:(

The same with Classical. My uncle lent me music by Bach, Chopin, Mozart, Vaughan Williams and it sounded so similar until my ears tuned in and when they did; boy! I couldn't have been further from the truth. the differences are so vast!

Matt

Well...

I personally happen to like baroque string quartets and fugues and - I love Bach's chromatic fantasia and fugue in whatever key it is in... <grin> OTOH, that latter isn't exactly dinner music for a number of reasons. You can't ignore it in the background and it certainly isn't the gentle sort of "while I'm eating" sort of music.

But it seems to me that such as 12-tone rows stop being fun.

My "baby bro" who's mid 30s does some really skilled keyboard and computer stuff that ... I can appreciate but just don't get. OTOH, he sez I'm doing guitar stuff he can't imagine attempting but - it just ain't his thing.

I think a lot of "classic music" pieces, be they Beethoven, swing or rock, are classics because there's something about them that "clicks" with a large number of listeners. Bolero "clicks" and is "the" sexy piece, yet the much more passionate Liebestod is perhaps a bit too complex for the average listener to hang onto. Me, I quit thinking Bolero was all that neat decades ago.

?????

And both of those are pretty simple pieces in ways.

m

I'm very open minded. I like brussles sprouts, suchi and barbacoa...That being said, Roy Marchbank is very talented, lightyears ahead of me. The second tune, Monsoon, reminds me of Tangerine Dream. I couldn't listen to it for long as I prefer more rhythmic music, you know, something that you can butt dance to. Thanks for the post!

Excellent pieces Sear, excellent pieces. Nice to hear people ignoring the "constraints" of the guitar.

Many moons ago (70's) I studied "Use of Studio" and "Electronic Music" at the Cockpit in Gateforth street.

Once a term we would "put on a concert". Stockhausen, Glass, Cage, Riley and our own pieces.

The public often sat in puzzled silence, and I learned a great truth.

It is often waay more fun to PLAY it than it is to LISTEN to it.

But that was good to listen to as well, nice one squirrel.

One of my all-time favorite guitarists--Michael Hedges. He died in a car accident about 10 years ago. He was part of the Windham Hill gang. An amazing talent

You should check some of his other videos out. His playing actually brings a tear to my eye sometimes. Just a little manly tear.

What! Michael Hedges is dead!

Fukc,that shows how outta touch I am. Chrissakes. That's a bummer.

BTW,Charlie Hargrett from Blackfoot. I'm digging back and rediscovering. Love the tone he pulls.

What! Michael Hedges is dead!

Fukc' date='that shows how outta touch I am. Chrissakes. That's a bummer.

BTW,Charlie Hargrett from Blackfoot. I'm digging back and rediscovering. Love the tone he pulls. [/quote']

Yeah. I only found out about a year ago. He died in 1997. His car when skidded off a wet road and over a 120 foot cliff around San Fran. He was ejected from the car. They didn't find his body for a few days. He was only 43.

Archived