Gibson Brands Forums

LP tobacco burst question...

T50

Hello Gents

I have a question:

I'm looking for a LP Std. with dark tobacco burst, 50's neck, 2 piece maple top,

and no weight relieving holes/chambered.

What year model will have all the characteristics above? 90s?

Thanks!

Hello Gents

I have a question:

I'm looking for a LP Std. with dark tobacco burst' date=' 50's neck, 2 piece maple top,

and no weight relieving holes/chambered.

What year model will have all the characteristics above? 90s?

Thanks!

[/quote']

well with no weight relieving holes, You have to look at the 1970"s to early 80"s : Good luck !

If anything look at a classic 60 model. mid 90's. But these will be drilled for weight. Chambering was used in the 90's studio lites and deluxe. And late 2004 and newer.

I'm looking at a LP Std. 2001 model.

Did they make the LP Std.s weigh relieved with holes in 2001?

What kind of pickups come with this model?

weight relieved (swiss cheese) with 490r/498t PUs

Semi on-topic, but I was out picking up a pedal today and the shop had just received a Les Paul Classic Antique in honey burst. When I picked it up I was shocked! It weighed less than my SGs. We put it on the scales and it came in at 6.9 lbs. The regular chambered Standards are a pretty consistent 7.6 lbs. I don't mind my chambered Standard, but this just felt wrong.

Oh, and completely on-topic, my 2001 Classic (look to your left) is a non weight relieved 9.0 lbs.

Semi on-topic' date=' but I was out picking up a pedal today and the shop had just received a Les Paul Classic Antique in honey burst. When I picked it up I was shocked! It weighed less than my SGs. We put it on the scales and it came in at 6.9 lbs. The regular chambered Standards are a pretty consistent 7.6 lbs. I don't mind my chambered Standard, but this just felt wrong.

Oh, and completely on-topic, my 2001 Classic (look to your left) is a non weight relieved 9.0 lbs.[/quote']

man i have a 2007 lp vm which is supposedly weight-relieved but it weighs a whopping 9lbs (which is a fair bit for a weight relieved guitar). never knew mine was above average in weight. my poor shoulder - my left arm falls alseep after playing for a little while. i love the guitar and the last thing i would ever want to do is sell it but if my arm keeps falling asleep (which affects my playing after a while of standing) i may have to. O:)

well with no weight relieving holes' date=' You have to look at the 1970"s to early 80"s : Good luck !

If anything look at a classic 60 model. mid 90's. But these will be drilled for weight. Chambering was used in the 90's studio lites and deluxe. And late 2004 and newer.[/quote']

I don't know much about the older ones, but I thought Chambering was 2007 only. They did it in the 90s too?

weight relieved (swiss cheese) with 490r/498t PUs

FennRx

Thanks for the info!

Both LPs I have are rocking with the 490r/498t PUs at the moment so I kind of was expecting BB... or 57s... 8-[

I don't mind a 10 lb fat lady on my laps O:)

After playing my Lp Custom which weighs around 10.8 lb' date=' my SG feels like a toy... not the way it sounds though!

GuitarJunkie,

Yes, I have a LP CP with almost identical finish! O:)

gibsonsisters.jpg

man i have a 2007 lp vm which is supposedly weight-relieved but it weighs a whopping 9lbs (which is a fair bit for a weight relieved guitar). never knew mine was above average in weight. my poor shoulder - my left arm falls alseep after playing for a little while. i love the guitar and the last thing i would ever want to do is sell it but if my arm keeps falling asleep (which affects my playing after a while of standing) i may have to. :-({|=

Time to hit the gym there bud.

FennRx

Thanks for the info!

Both LPs I have are rocking with the 490r/498t PUs at the moment so I kind of was expecting BB... or 57s... :(

I don't mind a 10 lb fat lady on my laps :-#

After playing my Lp Custom which weighs around 10.8 lb' date=' my SG feels like a toy... not the way it sounds though!

GuitarJunkie,

Yes, I have a LP CP with almost identical finish! :)

[img']http://www.alpineminiatures.com/gibsonsisters.jpg[/img]

Nice looking trio!!! =D> Does Chambering really make that much of a difference to the tone? :-k

I don't know much about the older ones, but I thought Chambering was 2007 only. They did it in the 90s too?[/quote

Yes they did it with the Studio lites, were the is was chambered and filled in with a dense form of balsa. My Standard 91 studio actually had this done to it as I found out. (you can see the extra routing around the control area and by the the toggle.

Chambering was not used in the 90's on Studio Lites and Deluxe. The Studio Lites had balsa or 'chromyte' wood inside it. They have made models through the years that had chambering, such as the Catalina, Elegant, and such, but these were Custom Shop models typically. The Standards, Customs, Studios, Classics and Deluxes have been weight relieved using the swiss cheese method between 1982 and 2006. In 2007 all Gibson USA LPs became chambered, the Custom still uses swiss cheese and the Class 5 uses a modified swiss chesse (both are CS guitars).

Chambering was not used in the 90's on Studio Lites and Deluxe. The Studio Lites had balsa or 'chromyte' wood inside it. They have made models through the years that had chambering' date=' such as the Catalina, Elegant, and such, but these were Custom Shop models typically. The Standards, Customs, Studios, Classics and Deluxes have been weight relieved using the swiss cheese method between 1982 and 2006. In 2007 all Gibson USA LPs became chambered, the Custom still uses swiss cheese and the Class 5 uses a modified swiss chesse (both are CS guitars). [/quote']

Hi raptor,

I beg to differ on my 91 Studio.(aka pre Lite ) As soon as you route a body creating a volume cavity, it was chambered. Now the chromyte filler wood does not fill the entire cavities ( and I say cavities) there still was empty routings in the body caused by this technique. Mine has an empty 1/2 route runing along the bottom from the control route towards the horn. And up around the switch.

These are in addition to the std control routes, so as not to get them confused.

Archived