Gibson Brands Forums

hot passive pick-ups for my Les Paul (s)...?

Burk

I have 2 Les Pauls. Both Standards. I've been playing them for about 20 years. both, most of that time with EMG pick-ups. I play in a rock band that covers disturbed to Zeppelin. I'm interested in probably some seymour duncans. From the looks of the site (with sound bytes) a duncan distortion (yes, I'm lookin' for a bridge pick-up) or maybe a custom 5. I want as hot of a passive as I can get with a "zebra" coil finish. I like the output of a Bill Lawrence 500XL or a "Dimebucker", but I don't want the cosmetic look of the blades. I'd like to find a hot one with plenty of bottom & not too much treble. I'm used to what the EMG's sound like, and am scared that I'll "lose something" when changing out the pick-ups. You know how us men are...we typically hate "change"...

I play with minimal pedals and use soldano & Marshall higher-gain amps.....

Any advice would be appreciated, especially those of you who have tried "several" different pick-ups...

Thanks!

I have 2 Les Pauls. Both Standards. I've been playing them for about 20 years. both' date=' most of that time with EMG pick-ups. I play in a rock band that covers disturbed to Zeppelin. I'm interested in probably some seymour duncans. From the looks of the site (with sound bytes) a duncan distortion (yes, I'm lookin' for a bridge pick-up) or maybe a custom 5. I want as hot of a passive as I can get with a "zebra" coil finish. I like the output of a Bill Lawrence 500XL or a "Dimebucker", but I don't want the cosmetic look of the blades. I'd like to find a hot one with plenty of bottom & not too much treble. I'm used to what the EMG's sound like, and am scared that I'll "lose something" when changing out the pick-ups. You know how us men are...we typically hate "change"...

I play with minimal pedals and use soldano & Marshall higher-gain amps.....

Any advice would be appreciated, especially those of you who have tried "several" different pick-ups...

Thanks![/quote']

I would recommend a JB.

Bands as heavy as Megadeth and Lamb of God use it, Yet it was designed for Jeff Beck!! (Hence JB)

All in all, It's a really great sounding pickup that'll go as heavy as any.

• 3 months later...
What kind of Les Paul? What style of music are you looking at playing? Those answers will go a long way to helping us advise you.

I have 2 Les Pauls. Both Standards. I've been playing them for about 20 years. both, most of that time with EMG pick-ups. I play in a rock band that covers disturbed to Zeppelin.

I'm not into hot pickups at all.

The 500T by Gibson is thin and shrill to me but lotsa people love it.

I had a Duncan JB in a V and it was pretty cool.

Sounded really good to me, just too hot. I had to keep the volume rolled off unless I was doing Scorpions or such.

$.02 from a "vintage" sound guy.

Archived