Gibson Brands Forums

Best First Album?

Basshole

I'm a big fan of Boston.

Last yr my physics teacher gave me their self titled album as motivation.

I got an A in that class.

Good stuff.

The fact that Brad Delp (RIP) sang every freakin note on that album is amazing. Great songs and sound that never really progressed past that first album so everything after was kinda a let down.

Led Zeppelins first album was basically just cover songs right? I mean they took songs and made little changes in them.

[confused]

How many more times=How many more years

The Lemon Song=I ain't got you

Yup. They got the crap sued out of them and had to change album liner notes to credit the real writers. I don't have much love for Zeppelin I.

I voted for Zeppelin, because that's what I like, but all are excellent. I'm surprised that so many people voted for Boston, did not see that coming. Also noticed that the Beatles were missing, even though their later music (Let it Be, Abbey Road) is the good stuff.

Regarding Zeppelin's first album- yes, they did steal a bunch of blues songs, but they played them extremely differently. With Led Zeppelin 1 we get to see the beginning of "hard rock" drag itself out of the blues, and we also get a new, unique, and incredible expression of the blues. The electric guitar screams and moans on "Dazed and Confused", Plant really belts out the sexual tension hidden within the blues on multiple tracks, Bonzo beats the living sh#t out of the drums like never before, and even Jones does some elaborate organ work on "Your Time is Gonna Come". Imagine putting on the record and hearing "Good Times Bad Times", and then flipping it over to hear "Communication Breakdown"- it is moving. Just mentioning that Zeppelin appropriated some ideas does not validate the notion that the whole album is bunk. Zeppelin I is their coming out party that had to be framed in a language that people could understand- the electric blues.

BTW, don't forget the sick album cover of the blimp bursting into flames!

Not sure High Voltage should be on that list. First off, the High Voltage album the world outside of Australia got is a compilation of AC/DC's first two albums. Also, it could hardly have taken the US "by storm", as the follow-up album Dirty Deeds, didn't see a US release until 1981 following the success of Back In Black, five years after the rest of the world got it.

Gee, I was around when they all were new and different and I don't remember Ac/Dc, Zeppelin and certainly not Boston taking anything by storm. Hendrix took England by storm. Now, Elvis did a little taken and heart breakin' and maybe the Stones a little, but The Beatles did the only storm takin' in the U. S. that I recall.

Led Zeppelins first album was basically just cover songs right? I mean they took songs and made little changes in them.

#-o

How many more times=How many more years

The Lemon Song=I ain't got you

I would say zep is good @ honoring their idols

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vUwqIgICgY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Gee' date=' I was around when they all were new and different and I don't remember Ac/Dc, Zeppelin and certainly not Boston taking anything by storm. Hendrix took England by storm. Now, Elvis did a little taken and heart breakin' and maybe the Stones a little, but The Beatles did the only storm takin' in the U. S. that I recall. [/quote']

I agree... Only a couple of "debut albums" from that era hit big. The Doors, Blind Faith, maybe Janice Joplin. Blind Faith jumped to #1 in the US on release.

Archived