Gibson Brands Forums

les paul standard 04 (thinking about buying)

luckygibson

Hello,

I found a local seller that is getting rid of a cherryburst LP standard 2004. He started it at 2000, then after a few days went to 1800. I have seen and played the guitar and its in near Mint condition and sounds great. I was going to try and go down to 1700 for it. He is throwing in a tuner, strings, and ebow (about another 200 value).

Can anyone give me some advice on this price to determine if its reasonable? 1700?

This will be my first LP after playing teles and strats for many years!

Lucky

If it's in as good of shape as you say I'd try one of two things.

1. Make him a solid offer of $1,500.00 and tell him he can keep the tuner, strings, and ebow.

2. Tell him to keep the junk and take the $200.00 value off the guitar. That should take it down to $1600.00.

The ebow is a worthless piece of junk that you will get very little use from.

Fer 2 large your looking at a brand new standard and approaching the RI areana. I got my faded for 1500 brand new. All that other stuff he is offering with it is bupkis. Do a sanity check on ebay but I would offer around 1200.

1800 for a used standard is...well, standard. assuming there is nothing wrong with the guitar, that's not a bad price.

i have never seen a used Std (gloss) go for 1200 bucks. dream on...dream the f*** on

I have... it wasnt in mint condition (not even good condition) but was a standard at 1180.

I think guitarslingers point is why buy a 2000 used guitar when you can get a new one for nearly as much or a new-full warranty faded for way less.

I love my faded (dont like the gloss finish of the "standard" standard).

me neither' date=' i just noted the above because he doesnt give much info about the state the guitars in... maybe it has a broken neck? hehehe[/quote']

like that one that was on ebay a while back "in average condition"? lmao

its a toy you can use "instead of a pickup, to make some really great sounding effects" (violin like and stuff like that)

yeah right... you can try one at GC, you'll get tired of it after 5 minutes... for the price, it isnt any good.

now if it was 20 or 30 bucks...

EDIT:

this is what i found in wikipedia

The EBow or ebow (brand name for "Electronic Bow" or Energy Bow) (often spelled E-bow in common usage)[1] is a hand-held, battery-powered electronic device for playing the electric guitar, invented by Turkish musician Erkan Ogur in 1976. Instead of having the strings hit by the fingers or a pick, they are moved by the electromagnetic field created by the device, producing a sound reminiscent of using a bow on the strings.[2]

The EBow is used to produce a variety of sounds not usually playable on an electric guitar. By varying the EBow's linear position on the string, the player can produce different string overtones, and also fade in and out by lowering and raising the EBow. Furthermore, starting with the current generation of EBow (PlusEbow, aka 4th edition Ebow), Player also gain an additional mode known as harmonic mode, which produce a higher harmonic sound instead of the fundamental note.

Sounds interesting? yeah! for like, 5 minutes

Archived