Gibson Brands Forums

Question abput Classic 57's

jeffguitar

Hi guys. before there was a classic plus, were the 57 classics simply two of the same pickups, and you just put the one that measured stronger on the bridge? Was there a sticker or anything on the one meant for the bridge on the set of classics. I recall buying the original set and being told they were the same and only the classic plus had a higher reading. is this true?

Hi Jeff!

You´re right. But just in case you didn´t put them into your guitar yet, it´s no problem to have two pickups with just the same reading in one guitar.

I´m using two 57 classics in my Les Paul Custom. By the way, originally it had two PAFs, which were also the same reading. When I bought the first one for the bridge position, there was no plus whatsoever. I didn´t use the neck PU very often so I didn´t care for what PU was in there. Some ten years later I changed my opinion and decided to get another 57 classic for the neck position. I didn´t want to switch the other one into neck position and get a classic plus. So I got another classic. I didn´t even meassure them, because I didn´t want to swap `em.

If you´re not playing with both volume pods full open, you won´t even notice a difference to a guitar equipped with special neck and bridge PUs.

Greetings

Kurt

Archived