Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jeffguitar

Question abput Classic 57's

Hi guys. before there was a classic plus, were the 57 classics simply two of the same pickups, and you just put the one that measured stronger on the bridge? Was there a sticker or anything on the one meant for the bridge on the set of classics. I recall buying the original set and being told they were the same and only the classic plus had a higher reading. is this true?

Never mind, I already see that they are the same, there are auctions on Ebay of the set without the classic plus, the normal classics were sold to be put in the neck and bridge and still are on sale that way today I believe.

Hi Jeff!

You´re right. But just in case you didn´t put them into your guitar yet, it´s no problem to have two pickups with just the same reading in one guitar.

I´m using two 57 classics in my Les Paul Custom. By the way, originally it had two PAFs, which were also the same reading. When I bought the first one for the bridge position, there was no plus whatsoever. I didn´t use the neck PU very often so I didn´t care for what PU was in there. Some ten years later I changed my opinion and decided to get another 57 classic for the neck position. I didn´t want to switch the other one into neck position and get a classic plus. So I got another classic. I didn´t even meassure them, because I didn´t want to swap `em.

If you´re not playing with both volume pods full open, you won´t even notice a difference to a guitar equipped with special neck and bridge PUs.

Greetings

Kurt