Gibson Brands Forums

SG with Seymour Duncan Jazz Model™ SH-2 with coil split

EADGBE

That's what I was recommended when I asked for a more articulate (Les Paul sounding) neck pickup for my SG faded. Or should I first try coil splitting the 490 neck pup? What do you think?

More singing humbucker sound would be nice, but I'll definitely try the coil splitting after I heard some demos of the Les Paul Traditional Pro w split coils.

The 490Ts that are stock on the faded are 2 conductor versions. they cannot be coil split without taking them apart and rewiring them. coil splitting is nice but unfortunately most humbuckers were designed with their humbucking pickup sound in mind. You might want to check out the seymour Duncan P-rails pickup. the demos I've seen of it have been awesome.

I read somewhere that coil split works best with high outputpickups? Would I be better off by having the series/parallel switch instead of hunbucker/single coil switching?

The ultimate goal would be having a Les Paul/Strat switch on an SG neck pup;)

EADGBE

ps. I've been running in guitar shops lately and the Les Pauls and Strats just don't feel right. That's why I'd prefer trying to refine the sound of an SG as far as it goes.

The 490 r is the factory provided neck pickup on the standard and it is pretty good . My own choice would be a classic 57 pickup which many people use in their SG. Im sure the SD Jazz will sould great but at the end you own an SG not a Les Paul and they do sound differently ( although nobody but you will notice).

The ultimate goal would be having a Les Paul/Strat switch on an SG neck pickup

Split humbuckers can be useful, but in single coil mode there isn't the character of a P90 or Strat pickup. For a while I wired my Les Paul so that as the tone controls were turned to zero, the inner coils were sent to ground.

My SG was wired for a long time with a series / parallel option. With the neck pickup in parallel, it gave a Fender character - Hendrix / SRV tones were available. Not as good as the real thing, but a surprising shift in character going from Bridge humbucker to neck in parallel. It sounded like I'd switched guitars - fast !

Split humbuckers can be useful' date=' but in single coil mode there isn't the character of a P90 or Strat pickup. For a while I wired my Les Paul so that as the tone controls were turned to zero, the inner coils were sent to ground.

My SG was wired for a long time with a series / parallel option. With the neck pickup in parallel, it gave a Fender character - Hendrix / SRV tones were available. Not as good as the real thing, but a surprising shift in character going from Bridge humbucker to neck in parallel. It sounded like I'd switched guitars - fast ![/quote']

Sounds good!

You mean you had a push pull pot for switching the neck pup series/parallel?

Actually I like the 490R but you can always ask for more... The local luthier recommended Duncan Jazz for articulate tone, but also said that he can solder the extra 2 more conductors to my stock 490R pickup if I want to split that. Anyway I need 4 conductors for series/parallel too, don't I?

Yes, it made the SG more versatile, but bear in mind with parallel that there will be a volume drop ( it suited my style to drive the amp less for the Fendery sounds). I had 2 switches fixed to a plate that was on the back of the guitar and held on by tape - it started off as an experiment, and I ended up leaving it there ! I didn't want to drill any holes in the body. Yes, you will need 4 conductors for all the options.

Yes' date=' it made the SG more versatile, but bear in mind with parallel that there will be a volume drop ( it suited my style to drive the amp less for the Fendery sounds). I had 2 switches fixed to a plate that was on the back of the guitar and held on by tape - it started off as an experiment, and I ended up leaving it there ! I didn't want to drill any holes in the body. Yes, you will need 4 conductors for all the options.[/quote']

I've always wanted to mount some Strat pups on an SG....

Archived