Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J100 info please

bruce

Hello,

I have a 1990 Bozeman J100 bought new in 1991 in Inverness, Scotland.

The guitar is Antique Sunburst and came in a Gibson brown, pink lined case.

I recently read on this forum that all of the Bozeman J100 guitars from that era were painted black, so i am trying to find if anybody has any info regarding guitars with sunburst finishes?

Thanks, Bruce

They were available in sunburst for sure. I've not seen many black ones. I think as the 90s went on the natural topped ones bcame more prevalent, particularly when they started using mahogany or bubinga or whatever they used that week for the back & sides....

My father's '85 is sunburst maple with a J200 bridge. The catalog showed a belly-up bridge so I guess that makes it a little odd.

There are no rules when it comes to Gibsons. Always remember that.

Hello' date='

I recently read on this forum that all of the Bozeman J100 guitars from that era were painted black, so i am trying to find if anybody has any info regarding guitars with sunburst finishes?

Thanks, Bruce [/quote']

Hi Bruce.

Short answer = "Not True".

As Scott notes, sunburst and natural were the main finishes from Bozeman at the time. It's my guess that overall not too many black guitars were produced in the first few years of Bozeman production, except of course the J-180/Everly models.

My experience is that black was a much more common finish on guitars from the period of about 1976 - 85, these having been produced in Kalamazoo or Nashville.

This is an '89 Bozeman-made J-100, formerly mine, now lives in Alaska:

89J-100Front.jpg

Fred

I can't really add much except to say that most of the J-100 Extras I found in 1995 when I was looking for mine were either natural (with the mahogany back and sides) or sunburst (seemed rarer). I don't recall ever seeing a black one then, but the specs on these have wiggled around quite a bit over the years with changes to the back/sides wood, the pickguard, the bridge (simplified moustache/no moustache), electronics (no/yes) and more. FWIW, my case is brown with purple interior.

Also seemed like a good excuse to show mine off. It's a cannon:

J-100Extra.jpg

Hello' date='

Thanks, Bruce [/quote']

how things bruce , i know its not any help but i've just bought a j100 , natural with bubinga wood, bought it in glasgow last month, black case .

and it sound spot on

guit1.jpg

Archived