Gibson Brands Forums

comes it 4 models the new Angus sg?

sellen

OK I have figured out what you were saying after giving the new Angus guitars a look over on the Gibson site.

They have a USA and a new custom shop model. The custom shop model has SD Pearly Gates pickups and a bone nut

with an ABR-1 with nylon saddles.

4 models? I only see 2 new ones, and of course the already existing one. The Gibson custom version has the full pickguard, a VERY dark "cherry" finish, and is available either "VOS" or "Aged". The Gibson USA version is EBONY (woot) with the half pickguard, and only available in gloss. The Custom version has pearly gates pickups , while the USA version has the 57 classic in the neck and an angus young sig in the bridge.

Does anyone know if they'll be discontinuing the "old" angus SG in favor of the new ones?

Hi Sellen!

Try http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG.aspx?Page=3

I hope it works. If not, go to the Gibson homepage, select products, electric guitars, SG.

On page three there are two Angus Signature SGs. The limited run, including 50 aged VOS guitars, signed by Angus Young, for one Hell of a price. And 200 non-aged VOS guitars. Makes 250 in total.

The other one, seems to be the replacement for the Maestro equipped Angus Signature guitar, since that one isn´t listed any more.

So if you count the aged one as an extra model, it´ll be three different Angus Signature Axes.

Interesting fact is, that they will both have ebony fingerboards.

Greetings

Kurt

they both do look nice. how many signature guitars has angus had from Gibson? I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of some black ones with white pickguards from a while back.

I like the inlays on this one. If i had money of course, I'd be all over the VOS one, or maybe the Gibson USA one. The choice of pickups though is kinda curious. I wonder why he went with the Pearly Gates and not his signature pickup and the 57 classic like there have been on the other recent Signature models. The neck joint/heel on the two versions is also quite different.

they both do look nice. how many signature guitars has angus had from Gibson? I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of some black ones with white pickguards from a while back.

I like the inlays on this one. If i had money of course' date=' I'd be all over the VOS one, or maybe the Gibson USA one. The choice of pickups though is kinda curious. I wonder why he went with the Pearly Gates and not his signature pickup and the 57 classic like there have been on the other recent Signature models. The neck joint/heel on the two versions is also quite different.[/quote']

Maybe the pearly gates because that is what is in his actual guitars.....

Back in 1969, I bought a new 1968 SG Standard with the long Vibrola Lyre engraved tailpiece, ABR-1 bridge with nylon saddles, dark brown nitro finish, trapezoid fingerboard inlays, inlaid mother-of-pearl Gibson logo on the headstock, and an inlaid mother-of-pearl crown (goat's head) on the headstock. It cost (get this), $225.00! This axe is virtually identical to the 1st generation Angus Young SG Standard issued by Gibson, except when I bought it, Angus was probably 16 years old. The only differences between the 2 models are the Angus Young model has a decal of a devil where the crown inlay is on mine, the Vibrola tailpiece on the A.Y. model has his name engraved on it, and I understand that the bridge pickup is "hotter" than the one mine came with. My SG is killer!

Back in 1969' date=' I bought a new 1968 SG Standard with the long Vibrola Lyre engraved tailpiece, ABR-1 bridge with nylon saddles, dark brown nitro finish, trapezoid fingerboard inlays, inlaid mother-of-pearl Gibson logo on the headstock, and an inlaid mother-of-pearl crown (goat's head) on the headstock. It cost (get this), $225.00! This axe is virtually identical to the 1st generation Angus Young SG Standard issued by Gibson, except when I bought it, Angus was probably 16 years old. The only differences between the 2 models are the Angus Young model has a decal of a devil where the crown inlay is on mine, the Vibrola tailpiece on the A.Y. model has his name engraved on it, and I understand that the bridge pickup is "hotter" than the one mine came with. My SG is killer![/quote']

Your one sounds sweet man!, got any pics of it??

Back in 1969' date=' I bought a new 1968 SG Standard with the long Vibrola Lyre engraved tailpiece, ABR-1 bridge with nylon saddles, dark brown nitro finish, trapezoid fingerboard inlays, inlaid mother-of-pearl Gibson logo on the headstock, and an inlaid mother-of-pearl crown (goat's head) on the headstock. It cost (get this), $225.00! This axe is virtually identical to the 1st generation Angus Young SG Standard issued by Gibson, except when I bought it, Angus was probably 16 years old. The only differences between the 2 models are the Angus Young model has a decal of a devil where the crown inlay is on mine, the Vibrola tailpiece on the A.Y. model has his name engraved on it, and I understand that the bridge pickup is "hotter" than the one mine came with. My SG is killer![/quote']

I believe your SG came with T-top humbuckers? But that is my dream guitar you have, I think it's great when people share stories of how they came about finding their guitars back in the 60's, is there any particular story to finding yours?

That is exciting. We'd love to see some pictures!

The Gibson USA Angus SG is sexy as hell but my excitment stopped with the nut width, 1.55" is even narrower than a 1 5/8".

I knew Angus' guitar has a norrow nut but 1.55"? ouch, I simply could not play it. i could never squeeze in a B7 chord in there.

Very nice guitars to look at.

what you got i guess is the dream sg:-)whats pickups are in it.the 57 or the burstbuckers?

• 1 month later...
Your one sounds sweet man!' date=' got any pics of it??[/quote']

I made some photos of it when it was young, back in the day when photos were made from film (remember film?). I have, literally, thousands of slides and negatives I've shot over the years and I wouldn't know where to begin to look to locate those images of my axe. I haven't taken any digital photos but, since some folks have been asking to see it, I'll shoot some and post them.

I made some photos of it when it was young, back in the day when photos were made from film (remember film?). I haven't taken any digitally but, since some folks have been asking to see it, I'll shoot some and post them.

I made some photos of it when it was young, back in the day when photos were made from film (remember film?). I haven't taken any digitally but, since some folks have been asking to see it, I'll shoot some and post them.

Archived