Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitars?

larryp58

Gibson has for years been building the "classics". Like the J-45's, Southern Jumbos, SJ-200's, etc. What, if any, style or build guitar would you like to see? The Advanced Jumbo, SJ-300, True Vintage series, and others are all just variations of original models. I would love to see a completely new line of body style offered! The hollow-bodied Chet Atkins and Traveling SongWriter are the only ones I can think of. Really, I don't think either one was a hit. Travis Tritt did play the Chet Atkins for a while. Is there a guitar that Gibson could build, or is it that they just can't improve perfection?!!! Maybe a Jumbo double cut-away? Thoughts?

I think you'll find most true Gibson fans are traditionalists and tone fanatics. We want our J-45s to look and sound like J-45s and of course, our J-200s must look and sound like J-200s. Over the years Gibson has tried other things like a plastic backs (much like the Ovations) and new body styles (like the Chet Atkins) but they never sell well enough to keep the line going.

Let Wechter and Parker come up with the new body styles. They will be lucky if any of them will stand the test of time like the J-45, AJ, and Hummingbird have. (If you have played a Wechter double cutaway acoustic, you'll know what I mean...yuck!)

When all is said and done, only one thing really matters about a guitar and that is the tone. This is something makers like Gibson, Martin, and Taylor have known for a long time, and make sure that each guitar is designed to maximize its tonal abilities.

The Canadian-made Songmaker series was an attempt to deviate from Gibson tradition' date=' but the marketplace has a tough time accepting anything new or different in a Gibson.[/quote']

True, but I would like to think Gibson fans would welcome a new model that was "like a Gibson."

I mean, I know I'm gonna upset some folk here, but the Songmakers don't feel like Gibsons. They're like weird golems created from some recognizable Gibson parts that are meant to appeal to Martin players.

Gibson should try to make something new, but aim it at GIBSON fans, not some other market.

the marketplace has a tough time accepting anything new or different in a Gibson.

That includes the market for electrics' date=' too.

Red 333 [/quote']

You are so correct. The ES-339 is a GREAT guitar, but a lot of people haven't accepted it.

[-(

I tend to agree...but that might be due to my age. I wanted a "Bird Guitar" since I played my first Hummingbird in the early 1960's. Nothing else would do.... if/when I got the money it HAD to be a Gibson and HAD to be a "Bird" guitar. I'm sure you all know I've had a Dove since 1980, and it out plays and out sounds anything I've had to put it up against. In fact, I often have to "tone it down" 'cause I tend to play pretty hard and keep time when I play, so I'll drown out the Martins, Yamaha's, Epi's & Ovations.

I just bought a 2003 Doves In Flight, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I was vacillating between a SJ-200 and a Doves In Flight, and sonofagun if I didn't find a "DIF" with the flamed maple back that looks like a SJ, (NOT the dark cherry red stain).

I'll send out "birth announcements" once I get my hands on it, (to make sure I don't return it to GC/SF....but I doubt that'll happen).

Bob

I just bought a 2003 Doves In Flight' date=' it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I was vacillating between a SJ-200 and a Doves In Flight, and sonofagun if I didn't find a "DIF" with the flamed maple back that looks like a SJ, (NOT the dark cherry red stain).

I send out "birth announcements" once I get my hands on it, (to make sure I don't return it to GC/SF....but I doubt that'll happen).

Bob[/quote']

Woohoo!! I hope you've got fresh batteries in your camera?

I tend to agree...but that might be due to my age. I wanted a "Bird Guitar" since I played my first Hummingbird in the early 1960's.

Well, let's be honest here: Gibsons are mostly bought by older guys (and gals). They are just too expensive for younger folks. I know that's been my story. I'm approaching 40, and this is the first time in my life I've been able to buy something nice like a Gibson.

And older buyers are, demographically speaking, not looking for new or radical. They're looking for the traditional iconic guitars they've seen played by the giants through the years.

And I think that's OK. Someone SHOULD continue to make the historic pieces. Can you imagine if Gibson had gone under in the 80s and you couldn't buy a new J-200 nowadays? Or worse, if they were bought out and the name was plastered on garbage guitars?

It's OK that Gibson isn't blazing trails in crazy new body styles. That's not to say they shouldn't try to make new quality, legendary guitars. Just that they are the only ones who can make authentic Gibsons, and I'm glad they do, rather than chasing some unprofitable market by making silly guitars.

Woohoo!! I hope you've got fresh batteries in your camera?

Oh yeah.... but my first "challenge" is figuring a way to tell the wife I HAD to have another guitar!!

I'm just kidding... she's never said a word about all my gear purchases...although she wishes there weren't "stuff" everywhere in our house!!

When I bought my son and DIL brand new Epi's, (a matched set of black Epi "Bird" guitars.... one a Dove the other a hummingbird), for Christmas, she was happy 'cause it meant she didn't have to shop for them!

Bob

Archived