Gibson Brands Forums

How is a Gibson refretted if?

Andre S

Had my 80 LPC recently re-fretted and the fret board scalloped and the binding just fell apart during the removal process[crying] ... So I had it re-bound[crying] [-(

Though a very nice job was done, the new binding on the neck doesn't match the rest of the binding[crying] [thumbup] [thumbup]

But it sure plays *****en[cool]

As I understand it they just cut the fret tang off at the ends where the binding is, so the fret isn't actually fixed to the binding, just to the actual fretboard.

Hope that makes sense. I also don't know if 'tang' is the right word, but hey...

http://www.jwrestoration.com/repairs.htm

"Most luthiers take the easy way out when refretting a Les Paul or similar guitar that has a bound fingerboard, the type with small nubs covering the end of the frets, by simply filing them off. Other luthiers, after filing them off, may make replacement nubs and glue them to the existing binding. While inexpensive to have done, either approach devalues the guitar and should never be considered on a high quality or collector instrument. It is more expensive and a lot of work to properly size and fit each fret between these binding nubs, but it is the only proper way to refret finer instruments."

Archived