Gibson Brands Forums

iPod Guitar Toolkit

drathbun

I just got this very useful tool for my iPod Touch called "Guitar Toolkit". There is TV commercial for the iPod Touch that features this program, so you may have seen it. I paid $10 for it but it is worth it!

There are five modules with the program:

1. Tuner

IMG_0019.png

The tuner is very accurate. I purchased the Peterson Strobe Tuner app for the iPod as well and this tuner is every bit as accurate as that one. If you have a first generation Touch, the tuner won't work. The 3rd gen Touch has a built in microphone and the 2nd gen will allow you to add a microphone to it through the earphone jack. I bought a mic and a plug in 1/4" phone jack from Peterson to make my 2nd gen iPod work with the tuner.

2. Fretboard

IMG_0018.png

The fretboard module displays scales. Any scales in any mode. There have to be 100's of scale modes here, from Mixolydian to Moorish Phrygian to Chinese Mongolian...etc.. etc. Never heard of most of these scales but all the normal ones are there too. The 2nd gen and 3rd gen iPod Touch have speakers so you can play the notes individually.

3. Metronome

IMG_0017.png

The metronome uses a sweep beat and you can set the sound to anything you want from the normal tick tock to bongos, cowbells, hi-hats or kick drums and many more. There are lots of time signatures as well including some that I just can't figure out (3+3+2+2+2/8 ??). There is a tap tempo pad as well.

4. Chords

IMG_0016.png

Chords is the most useful module for me. It has two modes, chord search mode and chord find mode. Above is chord search. You just spin the wheel for the note and then the minor, major, 7th etc. and the chord shape is displayed. Hit the right arrow and it shows you chord voicings for the selected chord up the neck.

IMG_0015.png

Chord find mode lets you hit the notes on the frets and it shows you the name of the chord... very useful!

5. Guitar Settings

IMG_0021.png

This and the chord name finder are the main reasons I bought this program. In guitar settings, you can change the tuning to any one of multiple altered tunings or you can create your own tuning! Once the tuning is set, the other modules are set for that tuning as well. Want to find five different ways to play G in DADGAD? It is easy now. I created tunings for all my usual capo settings plus one for tuning down a semi and a whole tone. You can also set the guitar to 6 string, 12 string, bass, 5 or 6 string bass, mandolin, banjo or ukelele! There is a setting for flipping the whole guitar to left handed and changing the standard A=440 tuning as well.

This is an amazing product for $10.

The best money I ever spent on a guitar accessory. I use it ALL the time, for studio sessions, writing, jamming, figuring out alternate chord voicings...it's absolute genius, and the best tuner I own, bar my Peterson Strobostomp on my

pedal board.

The only thing I'd add is a mandolin chord dictionary. But then again it would be called Guitar & Mandolin Toolkit in that case, and would probably cost £4000.

The best money I ever spent on a guitar accessory. I use it ALL the time' date=' for studio sessions, writing, jamming, figuring out alternate chord voicings...it's absolute genius, and the best tuner I own, bar my Peterson Strobostomp on my

pedal board.

The only thing I'd add is a mandolin chord dictionary. But then again it would be called Guitar & Mandolin Toolkit in that case, and would probably cost £4000. [/quote']

It does!! There is a mandolin as on of the guitar types in the setup. Just set it to mandolin standard tuning and lookup whatever chord you want... even in altered tunings!

I bought it at the iPod app store.

And you noticed I put that chord on the screen capture!

I DID notice that! We have an iPod app store?? Like Larry, I'll need to buy an iPod first. Darn, I just blew my savings this month on a pair of cowboy boots, a lead and horse cookies (long story). There's always next month <sigh>

I DID notice that! We have an iPod app store?? Like Larry' date=' I'll need to buy an iPod first. Darn, I just blew my savings this month on a pair of cowboy boots, a lead and horse cookies (long story). There's always next month <sigh>

[/quote']

The iPod store is online through the iPod. You just click on the program you want and it downloads to your iPod and the charge goes to your credit card.

Did you get your boots through Alberta Boot? I got my new pair last month. Had to wait while the RCMP had their boots made first!

The iPod 8gb Touch is on for $198.00 at Future Shop now. I waited for a year until they dropped below $200 before I got one.

I have been wavering between a iPhone or Blackberry. My phone company is selling off their business to ATT and Verizon. My section is going to ATT so I would have the option of the iPhone then. Some of the aps are the reason I would consider iPhone over the BB. Thanks for the review of the guitar ap.

Gilliangirl: Lead and horse cookies, you must be getting close to getting that horse. To bad you are not closer to me, I could fix you up or trade you into a nice American Paint Horse.

Did you get your boots through Alberta Boot? I got my new pair last month. Had to wait while the RCMP had their boots made first!

The iPod 8gb Touch is on for $198.00 at Future Shop now. I waited for a year until they dropped below $200 before I got one.

No' date=' I was going to order from Alberta Boot but got caught up in an impulse buy at lammle's. The ones I got fit like a glove, black leather, pointy toe. I love them!

I guess I'll need to move into the modern world and buy an iPod. I just bought a cellphone for the first time about a month ago [biggrin

Gilliangirl: Lead and horse cookies' date=' you must be getting close to getting that horse. To bad you are not closer to me, I could fix you up or trade you into a nice American Paint Horse.[/quote']

Oh I love Paints! I'm just getting back into riding again. I haven't been on a horse since I was 10! The one I've been riding is not for sale unfortunately. She's an 18 year old Tennessee Walking horse who tolerates my mixed signals haha! Her name is Sunset, but to me she is more of a sunrise. You're so lucky to have that lifestyle. That's my goal..... get out of the city and back to the acreage someday. I've been going out to Calta Stables every weekend for awhile now. I'm out there at 7 a.m. sharp, riding around on the JD Gator, feeding 15 or so TW horses, happier than a pig in poop! It's so beautiful to ride east at 6:30 in the morning while the sun is coming up. It's so peaceful.... no airplanes, no cars.... just wide open prairie.

Archived