Gibson Brands Forums

50's J-50

mudd_dawg

A few months ago my wife's grandfather passed away.He was i life long gibson lover and a great guitar player.He left my son his favorite gutiar.From the research i have done we know its a J-50 made between 55-62. My wife's grandmother thinks it was bought new in 56 .The first number stamped on the inside is hard to read but it looks to be either an I or 1 then 3289 26 there is a space and some kind of mark after that not sure if it's numbers or letters or what.Anyway i was wondering if any of you could provide me with some more info.Maybe a value range a place that i could get insurance on it and if there was some kind of owners manual that came with it.Any info you guys and girls could give would be great. thanks Jim

if the link to the pictures does not work let me know and i will try and figure it out

http://s665.photobucket.com/albums/vv11/mudd_dawg_2009/

Could the "I" be a "T"? If so, the guitar would date to 1958, which might be consistent with the features depicted in the photos.

Your guitar:

gibson004.jpg

gibson002-1.jpg

Can you take a photo of the number on the neck block and post it?

The values of these can vary a lot, depending on condition, repairs, and what year it is. Some I've seen are going for mid-2K range, some have asking prices of over $4k.

Fred

From the research i have done we know its a J-50 made between 55-62. My wife's grandmother thinks it was bought new in 56 .The first number stamped on the inside is hard to read but it looks to be either an I or 1 then 3289 26 there is a space and some kind of mark after that not sure if it's numbers or letters or what.

If it is a '55' date=' the first character in the Factory Order Number should be a W; if it's a '56, a V; if it's a '57, a U; and so on through Q in '61. Given the celluloid used in the pickguard, if you're pretty sure that you're seeing a vertical line before the four digits, I 'd go with (early) '57 or '58 for the date. (Early '57 because most '57s have a lighter-colored, redder pickguard. Yours looks more like a typical '55 or '56 to me, but could be a '58. I'm no expert, though.) But, if the bar is slanted, it could very well be a '56.

Maybe a value range a place that i could get insurance on it and if there was some kind of owners manual that came with it.

For insurance purposes, I'd say somewhere around $5K. That's what a high-end dealer would ask for the guitar. For insurance, either add it to your homeowners or go to Heritage for guitar insurance.

-- Bob R

For insurance purposes' date=' I'd say somewhere around $5K. That's what a high-end dealer would ask for the guitar.

[/quote']

I posted before seeing Fred's response. He's right, if you want to insure it for what you could sell it for. But I've seen dealer asking prices at $5K and (just) above for really nice examples.

-- Bob R

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh' date=' man -- my "Karen-clock" countdown guess was 25 minutes!

Too funny.

Fred[/quote']

[biggrin] How come none of MY grandparents played guitar??? [crying] I think one of them was a trapper. Oh yay, I can have some 200 year old beaver skins [blink] I think the other one built the Titanic, and we all know how THAT turned out. :-&

I am older than he guitar, do I win. Nice guitar. Still waiting to hear what kind of music grandpa played. I make my grandsons jaw drop every now and then with some of the sixties and seventies rock that I can play because I grew up playing it.

Well he started playing in 1928 when he was 10 year old.He never learned how to read music he always played by ear.He played mostly Gospel music until the early 40's the started getting into blue's ,blue grass, and counrty.He played a little Elvis from time to time for the kids .In the middle 80's when he retired from work him and 4 friends formed a band and and travled around to to the V.A. hospitals nursing homes and places like that playing every thing from Gospel to Elvis and Carl Perkins.He did that until shortly before he passed away at the young age of 90

Well he started playing in 1928 when he was 10 year old.He never learned how to read music he always played by ear.He played mostly Gospel music until the early 40's the started getting into blue's ' date='blue grass, and counrty.He played a little Elvis from time to time for the kids .In the middle 80's when he retired from work him and 4 friends formed a band and and travled around to to the V.A. hospitals nursing homes and places like that playing every thing from Gospel to Elvis and Carl Perkins.He did that until shortly before he passed away at the young age of 90[/quote']That's wonderful! I'll bet the guitar and the music are one of the things that kept him going so long. I have a friend who plays at our long term care center (where I work) and I can't tell you how much the residents appreciate it.

Archived