Gibson Brands Forums

Angus Cherry VOS

jinx2

I've never seen so much silly hero worship for a guy that hasn't even graduated to long pants--If I was like that' date=' I would've bought the Danny Gatton Telecaster. I buy what I like, not what some guitar player uses.[/quote']

you're no fun, no fun at all

I've never seen so much silly hero worship for a guy that hasn't even graduated to long pants--If I was like that' date=' I would've bought the Danny Gatton Telecaster. I buy what I like, not what some guitar player uses.[/quote']

One reason why I don't like signature guitars, is because when you play one it makes it look like you are trying to copy the guitarist and not be yourself.

Dickey may not be fun, but at least he´s right.

I don´t like signature guitars either. But if there´s one thing I like even less, it´s nickel hardware. And if there is another thing I don´t like, it´s old f***d up guitars.

On the other hand, if there´s one thing I like, it´s a Maestro equipped SG with full pickguard.

So, the 61 with Maestro was no option, because of the half pickguard and the nickel Maestrocover.

A vintage guitar is no option when you live in germany. If you need an example check e-bay U.S.A. for Gibsons and then check e-bay germany. By the way, I would never buy a guitar on e-bay without seeing and playing it before. But e-bay gives you an idea what the market is like.

That means when I bought it, the Angus signature was the only SG with (chromed) Maestro and it was cheaper then the 61 VOS. The Robby Krieger wasn´t even around then.

After I bought it, I was planning on de-angusing it. I found pics and a story on another site (everythingSG) where a guy had his Angus guitar modified to look like a regular 68. Thus meaning he had the headstock decal replaced with the original inlay and replaced the Maestrocover with a regular NOS one.

But I didn´t do it at last, because it would have been expensive with a little risk of ruining the headstock too. And I was really surprised how good that guitar is.

I´ve got nothing against Angus Young and nothing against signature guitars, but I would want them to be more like the Robby Krieger model for example. It´s a regular Gibson more or less. If there wasn´t the nickel hardware, the regular non aged one would be the ideal SG with Maestro.

Nevertheless, I would never buy a signature guitar because it is a signature guitar. But I definitely would buy a good guitar even though it is a signature guitar.

And I´m not the only person in this forum, that doesn´t understand why Gibson just can´t seem to build a regular 1968 SG VOS whatsoever.

Greetings

Kurt

For me, this is just the most gosh darn gorgeous SG I've ever seen. From the deep rich red, to the big wide headstock...the bevels, the white switch plate kissing the pickguard, ebony board, maple neck....it's the ultimate. The bolts.... are a nice balance between a subtle / over the top tribute to one of the world's greatest rock n rollers. Now, if it had a big angus script logo, or a cartoon devil thing....deal breaker, no can do.

23959ea2-eb31-402c-8d66-b0f4ca46d924.jpg

the only problem i can see, is the boltz....i mean, it's kinda sorta his thing, i mean it's even so much like it's his stage thing, so......for me i know i can't really deserve to cop it. But, f' he's puttin out for sale so....let it roCK!

Archived