I had a Western Classic for a short while. Beautiful guitar and a

wonderful tone in the right hands. In my opinion, the Super Jumbo

body combined with the rosewood back and sides is either the ultimate

sound machine or way too much of a good thing depending on the

player.

Heavy strumming produces an imbalance in the low end for my tastes and the

trebles are left behind. Alternatively, if you are more of a fingerstyle

player or have a light touch, it produces a heavenly tone. Unfortunately,

my lack of fingerstyle skills kept the Western Classic from realizing it's potential.

Think Neil Young with the bass cranked up to 11 and you'll get the idea.

Just my $.02.

I have a J-200 Custom which also has rosewood back and sides. I think it sounds fantastic! It has a really rich and full tone and it does not need any eq or other effects when recorded. I just record it straight in and the job is done! "J-200 Koa" may have a point about the hard strumming, it's got a lot of bass. I mostly strum the guitar and I don't really play that hard on it, so it works perfect for me. Have never played a better guitar!

Yes, the WC model SJ200 has rosewood back/sides and is more than solid in the low end. It is a different animal all together from the maple standards, modern classics, etc. And yes, I think it is true that for some players the lower register overtones generated by the rosewood can sometimes be over powering. I would call myself a heavy-handed player - I attack the strings hard and never apologize to the guitar for it......as Mr Bogart said so many years ago, "Take it and like it." I have found that a thin, very stiff pick works well for my style with this guitar, and it is the angle of pick attack that can make all the difference in the sound produced. For many years I used real tortoise picks, made from tortoise lamination peeled off an old jewelry box found at a flea market. This material in a very thin cut sounds simply other-worldly on a good guitar. They don't, however, wear well at all and I have but two pristine ones and several old wornout stubs left. When I found Blue Chip picks I was happy once again. Very thin (I use a 40 or a 50) yet very stiff, this pick has a solid edge that pushes though the string quick and clean. To my ear, it is this thin edge that minimizes low end overtones and draws the treble bite out of the guitar. I sometimes pull out my Red Bear picks - zero flex and quite thick in cut with a round edge. While these picks do sound great most of the time, a flat angle, heavy attack seems to emphasize the overtones that rosewood is capable of producing and they can make the guitar sound overdriven in the bottom.

So yes, this big ol' rosewood monster can be pushed to the point of low end acoustic distortion. My solution has been to go to a very thin, very stiff pick with allows me to drive the guitar hard (as is my want to do!) without producing those heavy overtones that can muddy the instrument's overall sound. I learned long ago that pick selection is the one variable that can make huge differences in the sound of an instrument - the Western Classic makes this very apparent.

Archived