Gibson Brands Forums

School me on Customs...

Nick Beach

I just turned 18 yesterday and I think I'm finally ready to get a LP Custom(I've been saving since I was 12, But when I would get cash SG's always sparked my interest) As a mainly SG player I will admit that I'm new to LP's. I've only had one and it is an Epi standard.

I don't have enough cash for a new guitar (my bank account is about 2,500) But I would like to go used. So what years are good, what years are bad and what years have the best bang for your buck? I would like a 79 for sentimental reasons, but if that year is bad then I would get something else.

The guitar center in Phoenix, Arizona has a 1976 custom wine red (beautiful) for $2400... 602-375-3800 ask for Wally... And no I don't work there...

I bought a 1999 les paul custom last year for $1500 (steal) off of craigslist... Best deal on a guitar ever... No regrets at all... We should all own at least one custom... They are incredible guitars... And I believe they have the best tone of all the les paul lines... I also think the action and playability is superb...

Just out of curiosity - what makes you think there are good or bad years? For instance, if I said "2005 was a great year" does that mean that every Gibson made in 2005 was a great guitar? If you're more concerned with having a 7xxx9xxx serial number than having a great guitar, by all means, buy a '79.

1979 was during the Norlin era. Read the first few stickies here and you should get a general idea for them.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/norlin-years/ Also read this sticky. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html These should answer most of your questions.

Is $2,500 all the money you have in the world or is that your guitar fund?

I think you can pretty much get any Custom from the mid '70s to '08 for $2,500, more or less.

If you buy a new Custom, you take a big hit.

Just out of curiosity - what makes you think there are good or bad years? For instance' date=' if I said "2005 was a great year" does that mean that every Gibson made in 2005 was a great guitar? If you're more concerned with having a 7xxx9xxx serial number than having a great guitar, by all means, buy a '79.

1979 was during the Norlin era. Read the first few stickies here and you should get a general idea for them.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/norlin-years/ Also read this sticky. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html These should answer most of your questions.

Is $2,500 all the money you have in the world or is that your guitar fund?

I think you can pretty much get any Custom from the mid '70s to '08 for $2,500, more or less.

If you buy a new Custom, you take a big hit.[/quote']

Well I know the Norlin SG's didn't have as good of QC as some earlyer or later guitars. The same with guitars made today. Just more or less the buying a used guitar online I probably won't be able to play before I buy so I want to get a year that has a high QC, just to increase chances of getting a really good one. And thats for the links those were really informative.

And yes 2,500 is all the money I have in the world. One of those things of living with your parents, all your money can go twords gear. lol

The guitar center in Phoenix' date=' Arizona has a 1976 custom wine red (beautiful) for $2400... 602-375-3800 ask for Wally... And no I don't work there...

I bought a 1999 les paul custom last year for $1500 (steal) off of craigslist... Best deal on a guitar ever... No regrets at all... We should all own at least one custom... They are incredible guitars... And I believe they have the best tone of all the les paul lines... I also think the action and playability is superb...[/quote']

I checked it out and it looks really good but I have my heart set on a black one, but I suppose I would go for a silverburst if I could find it.

That looks so good. I was wanting a black one, but I just may have to go with that one, I've never seen a custom in that color before and it looks super good. I don't like the bridge pickup but thats easily replaced with the money I'll save...hmmm.

Ok, you could say I'm biased, but I would say look between '77 and '82. Here's why - From '77, quality control was on the up. There was a return to one piece bodies (some '76 were also one piece). The neck is the best out of the lot - 3 piece maple with ebony banding (quite a bit of work gone into these necks - they are far removed from the cheapest possible way of making a neck which is to bandsaw from one piece). These necks (especially the mahogany ones) are positively feeble by comparison. The neck changes pre-date the Norlin acquisition, and were suggested - so I recall - by Les Paul who was disappointed by the number of headstock breaks he'd seen.

From mid 1980, the pickups were the highly regarded Tim Shaw ones. No weight relief during this period, so they are pretty heavy guitars, but that is the nature of the beast. The construction does give a different tone - to me they retain more clarity with high gain, yet can sound pristine when clean.

I agree with cajunblues, it's the best souding LP. I will never buy a new Gibson - a one piece neck is a structural calamity - but as I said - I could be biased...

We keep going back to the Norlin years and making comments that would imply that quality was down during those years. And overall it may have been BUT there were really great guitars made during the '70's and I have one. My '74 Les Paul Custom 20th Anniv is a gem.

I have three Les Pauls (two standards - R9, R7 Gold top) including the '74 Custom. Through an amp its awesome. I do admit that its really heavy but wow. I've owned it for 35 years (got it brand new) and will never sell it!! I do admit that I played lots of different Les Pauls during the 70's and some were very ordinary but my point is that there were some great '70's Norlin Les Pauls!!!

I think the Customs have a smoother more luxurious feel, whereas the Standards have a more earthy raw feel...... and I love BOTH!!

I have a 2006 Cherry Sunburst flametop LP Custom that is to die for! My God! It's one my dream guitars! Very nice low action, smooth luxurious feel, sweet phat warm tone, and drop dead gorgeous good looks!

I don't deserve this guitar! LOL!

DSC04387.jpg

DSC04389.jpg

Having owned many a Les Paul, from original 50s goldtops and a '60 sunburst through my latest R9, and, having worked in retail back in the 60s & early 70s I've seen quite a few come & go. Without getting into war stories I can summarize by saying with a bit of authority that you can pinpoint positive or negative individual Les Pauls from any era. It comes down to knowing what you want and playing enough of them to find it. Everyone has a price limit, and yours is not so low as to make it impossible to find a great Custom. In that range you can find some good Norlin era guitars, and you are well within range of one of my particular favorite periods, 88 - 90. In that era Henry J. and co. were getting Gibson back on its feet, focusing on quality. Customs in the 89 - 90 era can be particularly sweet. Best advice, get a number of them in your hands and pin down the look, feel & tone you're most fond of. There'll be one out there that's perfect for you and in budget, too. Hopefully you'll find one that'll be a keeper you brag about 35 years from now. Good luck!

Archived