Gibson Brands Forums

Hippo Birdy to me

Cruznolfart

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will be an awkward and loud drunkard husband and continually pinch our friend Barbara's *** who is coming around and then blame it on the drink tomorrow morning LMAO

I like to be bad sometimes [cool][biggrin]

By the way Cruz' date=' still recovering from the awe inspiring Steve Martin gig last week I am drooling over your banjo!!

Matt

[/quote']

Matt, I've no doubt you'd master it in no time. And Martin is one of those who makes it look too easy, dammit! #-o

Yeah' date=' I'd say happy banjo day too!

Way nicer than my old clunker from the 70s. Now you've gotta get one of those side-rail fifth string capo jobbies. <grin> They're not fun to put on, but they surely make pickin' easier.

Hmmmm. Ain't played mine in years.

Gonna frail or fingerpick?

m

[/quote']

I see there's a lot to learn about banjo-in'. I didn't know about side-rail capos. And I've never used finger-picks so I 'spect they'll take some getting used to. I thought I'd just sit down and let my fingers go and see what happens. I use a two-finger picking style on guitar so it might not be much change there, although I haven't tried any of the rolls yet. I tell ya, it might sound more like flailing for awhile, though. [cool]

Happy B-Day Cruzn...

smiley-greet027.gif

Make a wish... Maybe that Ibanez Bass will appear!

Steve' date=' that Ibanez has moved from fantasy to full-on lust. I thought about going to guitar-counselling, y'know, just to see if I really NEEDED another axe. But I think I'm old enough to know my own feelings on matters such as this and I've decided I'm prob'ly gonna be the first guy to get that new Prestige here in good ol' southern Orey-Gun. Thanks for the magic candle! [biggrin

Matt....

U B bad! <grin>

Well' date=' perhaps I started it by referencing tipping one myself. But notice I said "one."

m

[/quote']

Gentlemen, if the subject is "who's the worst influence", then Flight has it hands down. He promised a couple of sinkers to my honor some time this evening...and no one's heard anything from him since. [biggrin]

Now the only thing left is "largest toast". The night is young! [biggrin]

Cruzn...

Frailing is what Grandpa Jones did. It's downstrokes like with the back of the nail of one or more fingers, but not like a long guitar strum, more like a downstroke of a flatpick. After one or more of the fingerdownstrokes, the thumb hits the drone string and/or doublethumbs one of the four melody/chord strings.

Lotza variations, though even on frailing. Try doing something like that on "Jesse James." <grin> When I first did that in fronta my late father, his remark was that it reminded him of "hillbillies" he was in the service with up in Alaska in WWII.

Then there are up-picking styles and thumb-double thumbing and... then there's the basic clawhammer sorta thing where you keep hitting the drone string every now and then while double thumbing to do some melody stuff with the fingers and... There used to be a Pete Seeger banjo book that kinda explained 'em. Might still be.

<chortle>

Hey, it's fun, but I've personally figured I want another year or two guitaring before I go back to upgrading banjo technique. I doubt I could even manage Foggy Mountain Breakdown any more. As I said, it's been years.

See whatcha did to yourself with that banjo? Hmmmm. Talk about a gift that keeps on giving - or taking time...???

m

Archived