Gibson Brands Forums

One thousand dollars for a guitar case??!!

Gilliangirl

Yeah, some people use eBay to air their dreams, I s'pose. Looks like this is an auction from the 'Guitar Broker' in Florida. He has other 'dreamy' prices on other items in stock too.

Like, fer example, this cool late '50s/early '60s ES-335-type case., for which he only wants $3500!

I'm glad that I got my '50s/'60s Gibson SJ case for the cost of a replacement HS case, i.e., about 75 bucks!

Fred

Back in the day, ya had to pay extra for a good case for your Gibson. Their top of the line faultless plush case would set you back a tidy $50 in 1960. Pretty hefty price considering a J-45 would only set ya back around $150.

That eBay asking price though is pretty high for a black case. But an earlier style style brown Lifton plush case in NOS condition for a J-200 can fetch in the $1K range. It is hard to find even one with felt lining in just fair condition for much under $400 these days. If they have five latches instead of four they will go for even more (although I don't have a clue why).

Makes me glad I hung onto both of my old Lifton cases.

Does it come with the dog head?

We should get the whole dog for that price!

Zomby, I hear what you're saying. I have a higher end brown/crushed velvet case for the J-185. It has 6 latches (!) and it weighs a ton! The good thing about it is it's very secure and keeps the humidity enclosed better than the standard black case, but it's a PITA carrying it anywhere long distance, and undoing all those latches.

Fred, I likely wouldn't spend more than a hundred for a case, unless there was a valid reason. I'd rather spend that kind of money towards another guitar (or a horse)

We should get the whole dog for that price!

Zomby' date=' I hear what you're saying. I have a higher end brown/crushed velvet case for the J-185. It has 6 latches (!) and it weighs a ton! The good thing about it is it's very secure and keeps the humidity enclosed better than the standard black case, but it's a PITA carrying it anywhere long distance, and undoing all those latches.

Fred, I likely wouldn't spend more than a hundred for a case, unless there was a valid reason. I'd rather spend that kind of money towards another guitar (or a horse)

[/quote']

Nah i only need the dog head.

You know for my satanic death metal rituals. Offering it to satan..etc...

Just kidding of course....:-

Hey Gilliangirl' date=' before ya run for the smelling salts check out Nick Calder cases. Leather covered carbon fiber with silk linings - and yours for a mere $5000. Makes Carlton cases look darn reasonable.

[/quote']Well, I guess I've been living under a rock!

How can that guy verify that the case is from 1959 tho'? That tag should be yellow around the edge if so.

Archived