Gibson Brands Forums

Too much gear.

Thundergod

Guitars aside, what do you guys think? Is it posible to own too many pedals/amps/cables/other unnecessary guitar related stuff?

I was asking myself this after someone in the spanish forum asked what amps were our favorites and if we owned them... I currently am in position of 9 amps (6 real amps, 3 cheapos)[blush], I thought they were 7 but then I counted again [biggrin]

I also have dozens of good cables, patch cables, plugs, adapters and such stuff I don't use, some of them I haven't used in more than 2 years![angry] I am posting most of them on mercadolibre.com (latin america's ebay) at a low price so I can get rid of them, the same goes for 3 amps and some pedals I didn't even remembered owning (yeah, it's that time of the year, I'm cleaning the former studio and taking everything out to suposedly get everything in again but in order).

The worst part is, the money from selling that stuff will probably go to funding more stuff I won't use[angry]

I feel like haveing 2 personalities: one that buys and buys and thinks it's ok to buy just for the fun of buyin' and other that has a main amp and pedalboard and is happy with them.

Guitars are out of the equation here... owning as many as you can is a necesity[cool]

Of course it's possible to have too much gear but as long as you use everything, it's not too much. I think that's where to draw the line - when you own things that just sit there and never get used, you have too much.

The worst part is' date=' the money from selling that stuff will probably go to funding more stuff I won't use[/quote']

Gibson R8!! [biggrin]

I'm not big into effects, I have 3 pedals, and only use 2, the Tube Screamer and the DL-8 Delay.

Yea, Thunder I think you can have too much, if some of it's junk. I'm to the point where I won't keep anything that isn't gig worthy. If I wouldn't put it on a stage with pride, I don't own it.

I'm getting ready to dump some old Peavey SP 2's and replace them with the Carvin Neo LM15's. I'm not using them, the Band I'm in has JBL's (2;15's w/horns) Yamahas (1;15 w/horn) and Peavey subs. They weigh 31 pounds and I can use them for mains or monitors.

Of course, if you have a studio, you are in need of more options than I am.

Good topic.

Murph.

Hell yes it's more than possible to own too much of anything especially if you have a studio or somewhere to store it out of the way. I don't even like to think about how much I have accumulated over the years in a recent post on amps I listed mine everything from cheap and old to my top amps and was shocked when I hit 16 and as for cables who knows but I could probably connect you from here in Arizona!

And pedals are even worse I don't even really like pedals and I have 40-50. I usually use a Volume pedal and either a ocd or Box of Rock and I use a eric Clapton Boss Pedal and a Looper on acoustic the rest are experimental toys for practice and playing.

I wish... there's no gibson dealer in here that carries reissues [blush] cheap bastards!

Man' date=' buy from one of the MLP forum dealers.

But I'm seriously considering a R9

If you can live without the flame top, get the R8.

You really can't see those squiggly lines when you're playing the guitar, anyways. lol

Thundergod, let me be the first to congratulate you on your new Gibson Rx [biggrin]

I'd say it's possible. Like already mentioned, if you use it then it's not being wasted. Like those "cheapo" amps - do you actually still use them? If so then maybe their not so "cheapo" but instead useful.

You can have too many cables and things if they are not working and you keep telling yourself, "I'm going to fix those one of these days." Just get rid of that junk.

Like Murph, I only have a couple of pedals I use - I have a few more but don't use more than the 3 I'm looking at right now. Perhaps I should get rid of a few.

What about collecting them? Most amazing guitars (to me) are in the hands of collectors.

It's kinda funny. Here, in Brazil, if you collect things like postcards, cans and such, worst case scenario people will find you exquisite. BUT, if you collect things that people use and it's expensive, like cars, some might get pissed. Guitars not only are usable but they are pricey, so people might not be so friendly toward you.

Some people will even try to make you fell bad for what you've acomplished, like buying guitars or expensive clothes. It's stupid.

It has something to do with the church and all that "there are several people starving out there" thing.

As long as it's getting used, may be used, backing something up, or sentimental I keep it. If it's just in the way, or i don't like it, it goes to a player who needs or wants it. I'll sell or give it away. Back in the 90's I had a early Digi Tech multi effects processor that I played with for about a week, then it found the closet, where it lived for about three years. When I dug it out I gave it to a friend who was picking up the guitar and making a lot of progress. He really liked it.

So if you don't use it or collect it, get it out there in the hands of someone who will.

Agree. If you are collecting to use it all the time for something then yes the logic is then to keep it. Otherwise if you collected and you haven't used it in such a long time then I think it's time to sell for someone else who might need to use and get yourself something that you need or need to use.

I say, if it gets used and not neglected, it isn't too much gear. If you can justify you having it, it isn't too much gear. But, one caveat, if you have to ask if it is too much gear, it probably is too much gear.

If you don't want it, send it to me :-

Quite honestly, what I would do if I had stuff I didn't use, sell it or give it to someone who can use it. You will probably make someone's day, and allow you more room for other stuff [biggrin]

Until 3 years ago I sold my gear to buy me new one...now I'm not selling anything anymore and I have the feeling I'm exaggerating, cause hey, I've got only 2 hands for 9 guitars#-o [biggrin]

BUT...I don't owe 4 LP's or 7 tele's, I have one guitar for each specific sound/style...is that fair enough as an excuse:-"

This is my studio;

CIMG1990.jpg

You don't want to see my old gear/spare cable/cases/not being used at this time gear room... I'm a hoarder' date=' I even have all my old computers, stereo equipment, Dj gear and random motorcycle parts..... default_eusa_wall.gif

Is that a roll of toilet paper on the right on top of that rack? And it that a Moog on the left?

I think if you hold on to gear you don't like, you've got too much stuff. I can honestly say, every piece of gear I have now has been kept for a reason. Back when I was a broke *** musician, anything not on the floor at a show was suspect to be traded next time I needed something. Now, though, I tend to hold on to stuff and pass it along to budding young guitarists. I think it's important to help out and pass along what we've learned to those coming up, for it is they who will carry on and advance the craft after we're gone.

ETA (saw I had back to back posts ](*,) ):

Until 3 years ago I sold my gear to buy me new one...now I'm not selling anything anymore and I have the feeling I'm exaggerating' date=' cause hey, I've got only 2 hands for 9 guitars#-o :-k

BUT...I don't owe 4 LP's or 7 tele's, I have one guitar for each specific sound/style...is that fair enough as an excuse:-" [/quote']

Would an artist sell off all but two brushes because he had but two hands? Would he use but two colors?

Hmmmm.....

Until 3 years ago I sold my gear to buy me new one...now I'm not selling anything anymore and I have the feeling I'm exaggerating' date=' cause hey, I've got only 2 hands for 9 guitars#-o default_eusa_wall.gif

BUT...I don't owe 4 LP's or 7 tele's, I have one guitar for each specific sound/style...is that fair enough as an excuse:-"

Would an artist sell off all but two brushes because he had but two hands? Would he use but two colors?

Hmmmm.....

Archived