Gibson Brands Forums

Too much gear.

Thundergod

Would an artist sell off all but two brushes because he had but two hands? Would he use but two colors?

Hmmmm.....

ChanMan, you're right with that quote, but hey sometimes you should dare to say, I don't need all that gear,...I could play just one guitar and be happy. Let's be honest, I know professional players who don't own as much gear as me, or some of our members. I'm familiar with some teenagers who have 4 to 5 six strings...The world is a bit crazy and I admit I'm part of it!

I've never really sold any of my gear. Did some trade-ins for getting new guitars back when I was a kid, but that's it. Pedals and such I figure I might as well keep them. If they're "just another pedal" and not some holy grail of whatever or something collectible they don't really sell for any worthwhile amounts, so I just keep them for the sake of having them.

I guess part of it is also because I've never really been doing badly enough financially to resort to selling stuff, nor have I ever GASed enouhg for something to sell stuff just to get it. I also have plenty of space to store all the crap, plus I live alone so there is no one complaining about it either!

course it's possible.

I don't plan to have more than one LP or SG or strat. I'd have one of each, an LP, SG, strat, tele and maybe one of two others if I feel so inclined.

I say max of 5 amps

I have enough clutter already.

. Now' date=' though, I tend to hold on to stuff and pass it along to budding young guitarists. I think it's important to help out and pass along what we've learned to those coming up, for it is they who will carry on and advance the craft after we're gone.

[/quote']

+1

I do this too.

Would an artist sell off all but two brushes because he had but two hands? Would he use but two colors?

Hmmmm.....

Excellent point. This is sort of what I tell my wife and friends when they ask, "Do you really need 12 guitars?" Well, the wife now understands and soon most of the friends will too.

The point is each guitar doesn't just feel different, the all sound different. Keep in mind that with the exception of a home brew strat I only have 1 of each type/style of guitar.

The same can be said of amps, effects etc... They each bring a new color to the painting(s).

On the other hand, some guys have a very distinct sound when you hear them - Brian May, SRV, David Gilmour for example and they pretty much use a limited amount of gear for their signature sound.

I don't currently have too much gear, but I could see it getting really out of hand if I was more inclined to spend vast amounts of my discretionary income. Here are my opinions on the matter, though.

If I found one type of amp that I really, really loved (and actually, I might be getting close to it,) I'd keep at least two of those around, and that would be it for amps. Now, that's not everybody, and I respect that. There are advantages and disadvantages to owning several amps of different makes, or many of one make of amp, or what have you. I personally feel that, if I were to find the one, I would own that one and a backup of it, or maybe two backups. I don't know. I'm just saying that I'd rather have one type of amp that I know really well than own six or seven different types that I only know somewhat well.

Pedals are a different game entirely. For me, I'd rather shop around and try different units, testing a myriad of different permutations and finding what works well for me. Because of the variety of pedals, though, there's not much harm in owning a few--different sounds and what not. It's yer money. Worst case scenario would be to own a bunch of effects pedals that you hate and never use. Even so, that wouldn't be such a big deal--you pass 'em on to people who'll use them. That's why I don't think it's a big deal to keep pedals around, unless you hate to have them in your sight, hate using them, even hate the thought of them. I know people who own entire product lines. Excessive to me, but hell, it might also be fun. I think that it's certainly possible to have too many effects pedals.

As far as cables go, I say that you ought to have at least two cables for every one guitar you own (I know, it's a little strange, but you never know when it'll come in handy.) They're not too expensive, and if you're buying a $3000 guitar, it won't hurt you too much to buy two $30-$60 cables. If you're using pedals, I wouldn't know what to say about cables, but you know, I'm not sure if you can own too many of those. I know I'll never look at a pile of cables and say "Hell, when am I ever going to use all of those?"

I also wouldn't know what to say about straps or picks, but I like to have at least one strap for every guitar. Again, a good strap will be much cheaper than a good guitar (and a bad strap will also be cheaper than a bad guitar.) If I have an extra one laying around, it's probably not a huge deal, but if someone needs it, I'd likely be happy to pass it on to them. Some folks don't use picks, but I sure as hell do. I don't think there can be too many of these. The same probably applies for slides, capos, etc.

As far as cases go, I say one case per guitar. The reason, I'm sure, is obvious.

Finally--buy up as many guitars as you can. They need loving homes and players who'll treat them well. Hell yeah.

Never get rid of fine equipment for less than double what you paid for it and never pass up fine equipment at low prices. This makes me think I can never have enough fine equipment because in a family of musicians you can always Christmas something and make someone very happy, or gouge someone's eye. Also, if you have the space, why worry? You damage an amp in a flood or your kid sets one on fire, you don't have to freak out as much.

You can have too much JUNK, yeah...but a little bit of junk can save the good stuff when jr gets curious and wants to learn to play.

You can never have too much gear. The more you have' date=' the more variety of sound you'll have, simple as that.[/quote']

Slash said in a DunlopTv interview '' you can get by in almost any capacity with maybe one or two guitars. You don't need to be pulling out 58's or 59's unless there's a guitar that has such a particular sound that none other sounds like it''

If he adds one to the number of guitars ( electric I don't count acoustic) then I agree.

Archived