Gibson Brands Forums

it might get loud - acoustically

jefleppard

the closing scene of this movie features the 3 legends (well, one of them, anyway) guitarists playing the band's 'the weight'. the edge (from u2) is playing a banner j45 (legend?), jimmy is playing a martin (d-28?) and jack is playing a kay that was given to him in exchange for moving a sofa.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3D%2522it%2Bmight%2Bget%2Bloud%2522%26b%3D101%26ni%3D20%26ei%3Dutf-8%26y%3DSearch%26pstart%3D1%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701&w=500&h=333&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F2533%2F3752925023_700edf563d.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F77324157%40N00%2F3752925023%2F&size=117k&name=3752925023+700ed...&p=%22it+might+get+loud%22&oid=6a1a25fbb107f744&fr2=&fusr=MichaelVox&no=113&tt=160&b=101&ni=20&sigr=11l24mc5o&sigi=11g79bphg&sigb=13qplu0qo#FCar=6a1a25fbb107f744

i did not enjoy the movie as it merely scratched the surface and had little or no direction but the guitars and equipment were lusty for sure.

I just checked out the trailer of it on YouTube and it's hard to get a good idea about the movie. The trailer is just a bunch of very artsy fast-moving images thrown together, likely to draw us in. It looks interesting. Page looks great. I've always loved Edge. Jack White is very skilled. I'll likely still go see it. What were they playing (what song) in that last clip?

Sorry you didn't like it Cunk... I have not seen it yet, but am anxious to go. I have heard nothing but good reviews from some trusted sources I know. I have just been getting into Jack White and his work with the Raconteurs. Great song to check out is "Rich Kid Blues" on the Consolors of the Lonly CD. I am most intersted in hearing about Jack and Jimmy... Sorry but the edge doesn't do much for me.

Watched the trailer and can't wait to see the film. Seems like a great premise for a film........... getting a nobody guitarist to get Jimmy Page to play in the same room.

But in all honesty, Page is really the only guitarist of any significance, and 99.99 percent of why people would even watch this film. The Edge makes pretty cool sound signature sounds for U2 using effects, but he has minor skill as a guitarist. He wears a wool hat as if it's about to snow at anytime, which is probably a better signature for him than his guitar playing. Heck, the Flight of Seagulls had a gimmick signature guitar sound, but few would tout there guitarist as a significant musician.

:- And the third guy? Don't even know who he is, nor will anyone in the years to come.

But again, I understand this wasn't posted to say who are good musicians and who aren't; so thanks for bringing this film to our attention. [flapper]

dON, jACK USED TO BE WITH THE wHITE sTRIPES. hE IS AN ARRANGER EXTRAORDINAIRE. hE HAS AN EXCELLENT SENSE OF MUSIC, AND HAS BEEN SOUGHT AFTER BY SOME VERY INFLUENTIAL FOLKS. hE EVEN WORKED ON AN ALBUM WITH lORETTA lYNN, WHICH WENT PLATINUM i THINK? hE DOESN'T GET MUCH CREDIT, BUT HE'S A VERY CREATIVE MUSICIAN.

Oh crap, caps lock! I'm not going back and re-typing all of that again. My kingdom to the person who adds a bell to the keyboard when capslock is on because this happens to me all the time. My kingdom minus the guitars of course.[flapper]

cunkhead:

the closing scene of this movie features the 3 legends (well, one of them, anyway) guitarists

+1

Karen:

dON, jACK USED TO BE WITH THE wHITE sTRIPES

Oh, well why didn't you say so. The White Stripes ! They are like the candy stripers aren't they.......doing volunteer work at hospital. Sorry I am not buying any guitar genius talk over whoever this person is that conned Page into the same room. [biggrin]

Loretta Lynne, I have heard of her, one of my daughter's my is named ( first and middle name) after her.

i saw the movie at a film fest here in town last night. the closing song is 'the weight'. i had to dig deep for a theme or point to the whole thing. closest i can come is the 'what goes around, comes around' device. page began with the skiffle, blues, roots scene and once that had run its course by the 80's, punk, new wave-influenced players like the edge (dave evans) took the baton. blues-based players like jack white have re-taken the torch for a new generation of old-school players. that's as near as i could come to scraping up a theme for the flick. the editing had the movie (dare i say 'film'?) jumping around making it hard to devise a theme. having the opprtunity to tell an ingenius story about three players from different generations, i think the director completely missed the mark instead relying on ego-driven comments, cliches and dated footage. there were some telling moments but too few to justify a feature film. i must confess that page is my all-time hero but this did not satisfy. on the other hand,"shine a light", the stones bio-pic by scorsese, was a much better cross-section of a band in the late autumn/winter of their career. that movie had a thesis and conclusion to it.

this one, sadly, did not.

i'd love to hear what others think. it comes out on dvd in two weeks.

But in all honesty' date=' Page is really the only guitarist of any significance, and 99.99 percent of why people would even watch this film. The Edge makes pretty cool sound signature sounds for U2 using effects, but he has minor skill as a guitarist. He wears a wool hat as if it's about to snow at anytime, which is probably a better signature for him than his guitar playing. Heck, the Flight of Seagulls had a gimmick signature guitar sound, but few would tout there guitarist as a significant musician. [/quote']

I'm not really a fan of Jack White, and definitely not of "The Edge," but that's pretty ignorant. Like them or not (again, I don't), they are significant, and just because YOU don't know them doesn't mean "Page is really the only guitarist of any significance."

Also, it's "Flock of Seagulls." If you're going to mindlessly denigrate accomplished musicians, at least get your insults right.

Sorry but the edge doesn't do much for me.

With ya there Bro. - I find The Edge to be more of a tech head than a guitar player.

I like White's minimalist approach but I always come away thinking that his raw sound, blues man's hat and el cheapo gear, are more contrivances than anything else - like he is working overtime to convince us that he is the authentic real deal in American roots music.

Page, don't know what to think as I have not listened to him in many years.

I've found it to be rather entertaining looking through this thread. As a kid, I thought that Jeff Beck ruled the roost - I wasn't as impressed with Clapton or Page. Over time, I've grown to appreciate all of their contributions more and more. (I've become more impressed by the fact that Beck could ditch the whole music bit whenever he felt like it just so he could spend time in his garage.)

I've found that there are plenty of musicians out there who might not appeal to me, but that doesn't take anything away from what they've done/accomplished. There are plenty of others that enjoy the music that they've created. To each their own. Thank goodness there is plenty of music of all sorts to go around out there in the world.

And if any of you listened to the sound clips I posted on this site previously, you realize I have absolutely no room to criticize anyone else's playing [biggrin].

All the best,

Guth

I think in this instance, it's a matter of "how well do they blend with each other?" Each musician in his own right is a well accomplished musician. We all know Jimmy Page and his shredding, flame-thrower Les Paul. The Edge's constant pounding melodic rythym guitar, as well as Jack White's raw, growling (grunge?) sound and studio arrangements. BUT, how do they sound collectively as a group? Do their different playing styles blend to enhance each other, or does it sound like three cats in a pillow case fighting with each other? You know what they say about oil and water! But then, you hear Allison Krauss and Robert Plant. Go figure! :- I mean, who ever saw that coming? But, it works!

bkharmony:

and just because YOU don't know them doesn't mean "Page is really the only guitarist of any significance."

Gosh I'm sorry I guess I should have checked with YOU before I gave my opinion. I wasn't saying Page was the only guitarist of significance, Jeff Beck, Alvin Lee, Hendrix, SRV, Les Paul, Santana, and many many others rank up there as significant guitarists. What I was saying in the context of the film that of the three in the film, Page was the only guitarist of significance, and that's my observation, and that's what forums are all about. Thanks for the correction on the Flood of Seagulls, :-

With ya there Bro. - I find The Edge to be more of a tech head than a guitar player.

I'd say he is a master of his style of playing. It can be sparse/ minimalist and certainly does not conform to the chords/solo/chords school of playing - not that there's anything at all wrong with that!

Sure, he uses a great deal of technology but uses it to suite their songs.

I'd be happy to play even remotely like any of them!

I've found it to be rather entertaining looking through this thread. As a kid' date=' I thought that Jeff Beck ruled the roost - I wasn't as impressed with Clapton or Page. [/quote']

Kinda agree with ya although back then after hearing the first Fleetwood Mac LP I would have told ya Peter Green was the best guitar slinger to come out of Great Britain.

But back in the mid-1960s if you had asked me who were the Kings of the Hill I would have told ya Mike Bloomfield and Danny Kalb.

I found the film interesting but lacking. The little history lessons about each one is nice but I would have prefered more footage of the three of them together jamming and talking. Hopefully this will be expanded on the DVD release along with the all too short clips of Page playing a vintage Gibson mandolin.

Archived