Gibson Brands Forums

newbie post....replacement saddle for B-45-12?

mikeoso

Hi, folks...I'm a FNG and this is my first post. I have a seriously mojo-ed '64 B-45-12, and it's still got the original adjustable rosewood saddle. I'm pretty sure that a Tusq or whatever would give some better tone and power...but can I buy one? Everything I see for sale is clearly for 6 strings, and is too short. I don't particularly need to keep it adjustable, but I don't want to go the whole route of putting in a rosewood piece ansd slotting it for a standard saddle. I'd like a drop-in, if such a thing exists. What does the board say?

oh, for an intro: I'm a retired teacher, live in Iowa, and run a parrot sanctuary

Hi Gillian, I recognized your name too. The parrots are fine...they have their own building now...you can see it at www.iowaparrotrescue.org. I need homes for 10 macaws, 4 amazons, 5 ringnecks, 14 cockatiels, and a partridge in a parrot tree.

Mike so you still have that B45 ? I remember seeing it for sale some months back and I was tempted. I'm real surprised it didn't sell, the price sure was fair. I've owned lot's of 60's Gibson 12's and my favorite was a 64 like yours with the pin bridge. For my money thats the ultimate 12 string.

Mike can't you shape your own out of bone ? You may have to glue two blanks together to get the width. If you can't do it I'm sure there are lot's of luthiers you could get to do it. I'd remove the two adjusting screws and the spring underneath the saddle and make the new saddle to fit into the slot without the little wings on each end that the original saddle has that fit between the screws. That way you can always put it back to original if and when you sell it.

When I bought my '69 B-45 a few years back it had a replacement (adjustable) saddle of ceramic or something synthetic; the original rosewood one was in the case. One day on a lark I swapped them out, and you are correct, the ceramic/synthetic one sounded much better. I can't say if it was just the material or if the rosewood's slots were just shot but there was a big change in tone.

Not a lot of help but it shows that there are replacements out there somewhere.

Are you certain this one won't fit? I did a quick measure of mine and it's 3-1/8" long also:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/T9016.htm

FP, it didn't sell, so I did a few repairs to it and will keep it until someone really wnats it.

ksdaddy, my measurement on mine is a bit over 3 1/4. I have one of the ceramic ones, but it's too short and makes the guitar hard to play

I may make one myself...just hoping there was a quick fix out there...apparently not.

Bob Colosi can make you anything you need' date=' and he's a nice guy, too.[/quote']

Ditto! Colosi would be my choice, hands down. Is that a Norlin-era Gibson? [biggrin] I hear that those things are tanks. Some of them actually do sound decent. If anyone can make it sing, it would be Bob Colosi or KSDaddy! [biggrin]

Hi Gillian' date=' I recognized your name too. The parrots are fine...they have their own building now...you can see it at www.iowaparrotrescue.org. I need homes for 10 macaws, 4 amazons, 5 ringnecks, 14 cockatiels, and a partridge in a parrot tree.[/quote']

Mikeoso, if I lived near you I'd be applying to adopt one of those birds. Izzy would be perfect for me. I've got two crazy pigeons living in my roof. They've been there for 7 years and have raised lots of babies in that time. We've had many adventures, including the time Peggy (female) got attacked by a hawk and was missing for 4 days. She had two 10-day old babies. Guess who had to climb up into the nest and feed them around the clock for 4 days? Anyway, Peg is back now and all is well. Perky and Percival have grown up and joined a new flock. I am taking partial credit for that :-k

PetPeaves is still here. She pops in from time to time. She still has JoJo, her African grey.

I went back and rechecked my measurements. The rosewood original and the ceramic replacement are the same length screw to screw. The issue is the length of the crown of the saddle. The one on the rosewood runs nearly from screw-hole to screw-hole, while the ceramic (I think it's from a 6-string) is much shorter. Apparently the slots for the 6 and 12 string saddle are the same. So, the issue now is to find one with a long enough crown. Needs about 2 3/4" for the 12 strings to ride right. Why don't I build my own? Cuz I really hate the smell of bone being burned, ground, and polished. Nasty.

Archived