Gibson Brands Forums

Member of the Month Question....

ShredAstaire

First off, Congratulations Surfpup on your win!! I enjoy reading your posts and you're definitely one of the good ones around here no doubt.

Now...onto my question. I asked this question a few times and its either ignored, or i got an answer to questions I never asked, or the thread was completely deleted (it just happened...else I wouldn't have started a new thread).

I understand the concept of the MOTM in that it should go to a helpful, positive, knowlegdable member here each month. (Know that I never expect to receive this honor because I am not all of those things hehe) I support that 100% and I think all of the nominees for November were great choices.

What I don't understand (and I hope someone can help me) is how you can pick a member of the month, mid-month. What is the time criteria?

Whenever there is a Blank-of-the-month "award", i've always seen the award given out after said month is over. I.E. Employee of the month:

October's Employee of the Month is awarded the honor in November based on the hard work and dedication to the company in the month of October.

Is it really a FORUM member of the month (which would denote them being awesome on the forum in that month? Or is it simply a choice to "highlight" one of the members each month? Either way is cool with me...I just don't feel like that is clear right now.

I'm sorry for the confusion but I have never seen a detailed explanation aside from the "How people are nominated" answer which I agree with to avoid a popularity contest. I'd just like to know WHY i'm voting that so I can make a good choice.

If I'm not mistaken, Guitarest has replied that this happens because they want to have the time to provide Gibson with the results, so that they can pass the order for the guitar to be prepared and awarded to the winner at the beginning of next month.

IMHO, it is a small detail that could be easily corrected by changing the month they are referring to. This could make things easier. Although, to be perfectly honest, none of us members keep a monthly log of other members' activities. We just vote based on the general attitude / comments / replies of the members proposed to us, without referring to any particular period.

not to forget: Many, many congrats to Surfpup on a definitely worthy election! Although I voted for ChanMan, it doesn't mean that Surfpup is not of the nicest guys around! And a hell of a player from what I hear... #-o

If I'm not mistaken' date=' Guitarest has replied that this happens because they want to have the time to provide Gibson with the results, so that they can pass the order for the guitar to be prepared and awarded to the winner at the beginning of next month.

[/quote']

I don't believe I saw that. If that is the case, I understand a little better...

Like you said, It is a small detail that could be corrected by changing the month they are referring to, but as you can see, its caused a lot of confusion, not only with me. It should be looked at as feedback and not criticism (as it unfortunately seems to have been taken by some).

Perhaps there should be standard "blurb" in the voting thread on who/what/where/when/why/how MOTM which explains all of these things. I can't be the only one wondering why the Member of the month is announced mid-month.

Thanks in advance!

I hadn't really thought about it until now. I'm not really sure how they select what month, but it's a brand new feature and I'm sure they are still ironing out parts of the process. Hopefully they will appreciate the input.

Gratz Surfpup on a well deserved win! I look forward to reading your tale...

And a sincere thanks to those who nominated and voted for me! It was a very pleasant, and humbling, surprise to find my name on the list [cool] .

I think you guys are over thinking this. It's just a periodic profile of a member that others would want to read about. That's why I will never make it. It would be a boring read.

He gets home from work.

He puts the kids to bed

He has a beer

He picks up his guitar. He plays it.

He puts it back in the case.

He gets a glass of orange juice.

He makes some inflammatory posts on the Gibson forum

He goes to bed.

Repeat seven times

The end.

I think you guys are over thinking this. It's just a periodic profile of a member that others would want to read about. That's why I will never make it. It would be a boring read.

He gets home from work.

He puts the kids to bed

He has a beer

He picks up his guitar. He plays it.

He puts it back in the case.

He gets a glass of orange juice.

He makes some inflammatory posts on the Gibson forum

He goes to bed.

Repeat seven times

The end.

LOL!!! But somewhere amongst your busy schedule' date=' you must make time to terrorize the kids and neighbors.[biggrin

Archived