Gibson Brands Forums

J200 Bridge

daylightrobbery

Wouldn't that make the string break angle worse on the bass side?

Just been to Gibson's aproved luthier here in Germany and he advised shaving the bridge to improve my break angle- effectively planing it uniformly flat. From everything I've read up on, my problem looks for all the world to me like a neck reset but two repairers have advised bridge shaving...

Shaving? Stop right there my friend.Do not let anyone shave that bridge until you determine what it is about the guitar that needs altering.Is the action too low now with no break angle over the strings? I have a 03' J-200 and it also has the taper thick to thinner,bass to treble. I do not know if this is standard but I assume likely it is as I bought my guitar new. Wait for some more valued opinions and explain why this guitar needs any mods, then go from there. I consider bridge shaving to be a temp fix,prior to neck reset.But you can't glue the shavings back on after the fact,and the moustache bridge is a thing of beauty, don't mess if in' you don't need to IMO.

I haven't been in the habit of posting lately, but since it looks like you're considering having your bridge shaved, which could ruin your guitar, I'll chime in before it's too late.

Your bridge is completely normal and was designed that way by Gibson. When you tune up the bass strings, they tend to put more tension on the saddle, because they are larger. This tends to lean the saddle forward toward the sound hole. This can pull the guitar out of tune and perhaps even crack the bridge.

Gibson figured if the bass side of the bridge were deeper than the treble side, there could be more wood to cover the saddle and keep it from leaning. Therefore, the bridge is thicker on the bass side by design.

This is not true on all Gibson models though, as things vary from one design to another.

Ha, don't worry, I have no intention of shaving my saddle- kind of figured it's like it is for a reason- just asking 'cos I didn't know for definite. Thanks for the concern though.

What on earth to do though?

I posted about this before the great crash. Bad string break angle, neck pointing to well under the top of the bridge ( well, probably lucky to make it as far as the bridge without hitting the soundboard!)

It's playing like a **** at the moment and got no idea who to take it to for work. Took it to someone who was recommended to me but he also suggested bridge shaving so I just got him to refret it as it was buzzing anyway from old, old frets and I had a gig coming up. Now I've got dead notes on the high E string frets 1 to 3 and a shim under the saddle!

Got more gigs in the not too distant future and this is my only guitar in Germany (my other is with a friend in England and also needs work). [confused]

Oh well...

Alles wird gut! (hopefully)

Archived