Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson in trouble??

Tim Plains

Funny how the official Gibson site is the last to learn about it. lol

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2009/11/17/gibson_guitars_raided_by_fbi

Federal agents and local police today seized wood, guitars, computers and boxes of files from Gibson Guitar's Massman Road manufacturing facility.

Sources say the Nashville-based guitar manufacturer is charged with violating the Lacey Act, a key piece of environmental law, for importing endangered species of rosewood from Madagascar.

Rosewood is widely used in the construction of guitars and sells for $5,000 per cubic meter, more than double the price of mahogany. The island nation off Africa's east coast is a key producer of the hardwood, the export of which has links to international criminal activity.

Madagascar has struggled financially since a January coup and new President Andry Rajoelina issued an executive order in September legalizing the export of rosewood and ebony. The move was decried by environmental groups and political leaders worldwide, as hardwood forests are key to Madagascar's unique ecology and serve as a habitat for a dwindling lemur population.

Sources tell NashvillePost.com Gibson was involved in a scheme that shipped the wood from Madagascar to Germany and then to the United States.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course I can not make any official comment about the news article.

As far as the thread, yes I deleted it as the title of the thread violated our rules.

I am not going to air out all the reason why a change in moderators has been made. I will say that there are many circumstances that led to the change. There was an investigation that was performed over the past two months. Which lead to the action taken today.

I would like to ask that people remain civil, and make sure that they follow all rules. I would hate for this issue to grow and cause more problems.

Thanks,

S

Madagascar Rosewood?

Do you suppose that a guitar would be more valuable if produced in the pre-busted era?

Did anyone make note of the date for serial-number queries somewhere down the road?

You selfish little....wait' date=' do you think my Standard is worth more too...Swing!!![biggrin

I would like to ask that people remain civil' date=' and make sure that they follow all rules. I would hate for this issue to grow and cause more problems.

Thanks,

S[/quote']

Ok by me.... I hate when weird stuff happens just when you think everything is running smoothly. I thought Guitarest was a fair guy and doing a good job but Then again who am I to know or judge....

Well if this is true then it is truly not a good thing for Gibson. Whatever the outcome I hope that Henry J. does the right thing in the end. He seems like a stand-up type of person, but this will truly show his character. The last thing this country needs is yet another company involved in a scandal.

Archived