Gibson Brands Forums

Today's News: Gibson raided by the FBI for illegal wood

ryanfender

There are both civil (fines) and criminal penalties (jail) possible' date=' depending on who did what. It would also be illegal to possess any material which has been obtained illegally, but the possibility of anyone ever attempting to enforce it on an individual guitar-owner is highly doubtful. [/quote']

Possesion is 9/10s of the law [cool]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are both civil (fines) and criminal penalties (jail) possible' date=' depending on who did what. It would also be illegal to possess any material which has been obtained illegally, but the possibility of anyone ever attempting to enforce it on an individual guitar-owner is highly doubtful. [/quote']

I know all that. It's your last clause that is the applicable info I mentioned.

Gee Whiz. I'm sure glad that the Feebies have done such a great job that the terrorists, spies and criminals are all arrested and now they can go after the illegal wood bootleggers. Last I heard, there was more rainforest wood being burned, than harvested in Brazil.

Sorry Jackhole, I didn't see the post someone made suggesting it was a different branch of Federal Enforcement involved. Still, I'd rather my tax dollars go towards protecting US Fish and Wildlife, then - instead of dead wood from MADAGASCAR imho. I'm not sure which branch or tree in the forest of US bureaucracy should enforce this but I would think the most effective enforcement - like with ivory -is not to look for guitars but poachers. And no "catch and release" for them.

"As temperatures rise, drought, crop failure and deforestation have combined to create a crisis of malnutrition. Madagascar's rainfall has decreased 10% in the last 50 years, its temp has risen 10% and it has lost 90% of its forests. 1.5 million people have inadequate food because of prolonged drought -- 250,000 of them children younger than 5."

I know we love guitars but these laws do (hopefully) serve a purpose...

Here's the whole article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-fg-climate-madagascar21-2009nov21,0,4924478,full.story

I'm hoping we can someday find a sustainable, plentiful wood that decent guitars can be made from. I've confessed to loving my Seagull and it's made of cedar and cherry. I think they've made them from Birch as well. I can't honestly say I know what the board is; some breed of rosewood I suppose but no idea if it's tree-hugger wood or something easily and legally bought.

I recognize that the more exotic and/or taboo wood can be more desirable but I wonder how much of that is snob appeal and how much translates into better quality when the rubber meets the road.

Why do we never hear anything about reforestation of rosewood? If it happens, it's sure not common knowledge.

A few years back Gibson had some Smartwood guitars. I don't hear much about that anymore.

Dealing in highly desirable guitar wood nowadays reminds me a lot of when I owned an SKS rifle. There are so many little mini-laws as to what modifications can or can't be done to them and rather than spend several hours a week keeping up on the ATF rulings, I just got rid of it. If I had a guitar factory I'd rather err on the side of caution and make guitars out of what's plentiful rather than always looking over my shoulder. Not saying that's what's happening here, just in general......

I'm hoping we can someday find a sustainable' date=' plentiful wood that decent guitars can be made from. I've confessed to loving my Seagull and it's made of cedar and cherry. I think they've made them from Birch as well. I can't honestly say I know what the board is; some breed of rosewood I suppose but no idea if it's tree-hugger wood or something easily and legally bought. And what might "tree-hugger wood" be?

I recognize that the more exotic and/or taboo wood can be more desirable but I wonder how much of that is snob appeal and how much translates into better quality when the rubber meets the road.

How is "better quality" defined? As I think you know, in the world of tonewoods, quality may be defined as much by marketing as anything else. For many it seems to be perfectly straight, tight grain, no streaking, etc. Others seem to confuse quality with nothing more than cosmetic bling. Talk to someone like Lance Krangenbrink, John Arnold, Tim McKnight or Dana Bougouis, and it's all about the stiffness and tone, especially when it comes to tops. All of which is to say that even when it comes to something that you would think might be quantifiable (e.g. quality), one man's ceiling is another man's floor. Throw human greed and ego into the equation, and you have a mish mash of emotions that may have very little to do with actual quality.

Both rarity and myth seem to equate to desirability for some people. There are B/G players who will pay huge amounts of money for an authentic tortis shell pick, despite that fact that the particular animal from which the material comes is highly endangered and facing extinction. Personally, I refuse to buy anything that's on an endangered list, even if it was obtained legally. The right piece of paper can be easy to obtain in many parts of the world simply by paying the right person to give it to you, and in many places that's exactly how species become so devastated. By participating as a buyer, I believe we become complicit in that.

Why do we never hear anything about reforestation of rosewood? If it happens, it's sure not common knowledge.

That's because there are very few reforestation projects out there for endangered tropical woods, and what is there gets precious little attention. These projects are just not large or effective enough to garner much publicity. And too, the one's I've been able to find out anything about seem to be either in the very early stages, or somewhat on an experiemental footing. Some "tree hugger" organizations are working on projects in places like Brazil, Costa Rica and Panama, but funding tends to be very limited and success dependent on Government cooperation and protection, things that are often not readily forthcoming when corruption pays better. There are some international organizations working on a project in Madagascar, but that one is currently threatened by a recent government coup in which the new guys in power don't give a hoot about reforestation. Do a google search on the subject, you'll find out quite a lot of interesting stuff.

A few years back Gibson had some Smartwood guitars. I don't hear much about that anymore.

Dealing in highly desirable guitar wood nowadays reminds me a lot of when I owned an SKS rifle. There are so many little mini-laws as to what modifications can or can't be done to them and rather than spend several hours a week keeping up on the ATF rulings, I just got rid of it. If I had a guitar factory I'd rather err on the side of caution and make guitars out of what's plentiful rather than always looking over my shoulder. .

I agree with that, but unfortunately people don't pay the big bucks for what's plentiful (whatever that may be as far as making great guitars is concerned), they pay for what's rare and exotic and there will always be some greed head there to sell it to them. Whoever has the last piece of madrose on the planet stands to make a fortune.

And yes, you could call me a tree-hugger, whatever that is. I grew up not all that far from you KSD, in northern NY State. Catskills mainly, but the Adirondacks for quite a few years. My dad was a hunter and fisherman and so I grew up around guns and in the woods. He was also proud to call himself a conservationist, I guess the precursor to today's environmentalists. But in his world, if you didn't protect it, it wasn't going to be around too long, and he loved the wild world too much to passively stand by and let it go. We didn't get along all that well, but I've always been proud of him for standing up for his principles and living them.

Gibson has always used alternative tonewoods to good effect. Who makes more maple guitars than Gibson?

So we will all have to trade in our RW gits for spruce and maple guitars. Or cedar, cherry etc.

Not so bad is it?

They might not smell as good but they'd look bloody lovely!

You'd think they were running a drug operation and holding hostages- storming the headquarters? over wood and records? Folks the police state is coming fast and these folks are way out of control.

I agree...let's face it... a tree is virtually worthless 'til you cut it down and make something out of it!

Bob

You'd think they were running a drug operation and holding hostages- storming the headquarters? over wood and records? Folks the police state is coming fast and these folks are way out of control.

Let's not get carried away. Fish and Wildlife agents came, served a warrant, and spent a few hours looking around. There were press reports that some wood and records were seized, but that has not been confirmed by either F&W or Gibson. The agents were accompanied by local police, because that's how these things are done: local police, understandably, want to be involved when federal agents are mucking about in their jurisdiction (partly in order to keep an eye on them). This might qualify as a "raid", but "storming the headquarters"?

-- Bob R

"Stormed the headquarters" those exact words were used in the news report listed in the OP.

"Raided" was used as well by the newspapers. It may well be that the sensationalist press is to blame, reporting on what should take place as a routine regulatory compliance investigation and blowing it all out of proportion. I guess there were no fires or highway crashes that day?

"Stormed the headquarters" those exact words were used in the news report listed in the OP.

"Raided" was used as well by the newspapers. It may well be that the sensationalist press is to blame' date=' reporting on what should take place as a routine regulatory compliance investigation and blowing it all out of proportion. I guess there were no fires or highway crashes that day?[/quote']

News, & newspapers like to use words liked "stormed", & "raided" They "think" this will sell more papers!!

Archived