Gibson Brands Forums

Need Model Advice Please

Seadweller

Greetings,

My son has his eye on a Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro that he saw at Guitar Center. While doing some initial research, I noted that there are an incredible number of options in the Les Paul line alone.

From what I can gather so far, the Traditional Pro has mixed pickup's, coil taps, and a 60's style neck. The Traditional Plus has the 57 pickup's and a 50's style neck, along with the upgraded figured maple top.

My son has small hands, so I'm thinking the 60's style neck would be the most appropriate, however I've read about the Traditional Pro being an "experimental model" for Gibson. And, I've seen "PC Board" mentioned, which indicates to me that it doesn't have point-to-point wiring.

Some have recommended a regular traditional, but I didn't realize there was such a thing. And then, there's the standard, and who knows how many other options. Add to that chambered, solid and weight reduced bodies, and I'm dizzy!

His music choices now are Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Zeppelin, Megadeth, among others. I already know he's not interested in the Studio series, so I'm looking for some advice so I can narrow the field somewhat.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings' date='

My son has his eye on a Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro that he saw at Guitar Center. While doing some initial research, I noted that there are an incredible number of options in the Les Paul line alone.

From what I can gather so far, the Traditional Pro has mixed pickup's, coil taps, and a 60's style neck. The Traditional Plus has the 57 pickup's and a 50's style neck, along with the upgraded figured maple top.

My son has small hands, so I'm thinking the 60's style neck would be the most appropriate, however I've read about the Traditional Pro being an "experimental model" for Gibson. And, I've seen "PC Board" mentioned, which indicates to me that it doesn't have point-to-point wiring.

Some have recommended a regular traditional, but I didn't realize there was such a thing. And then, there's the standard, and who knows how many other options. Add to that chambered, solid and weight reduced bodies, and I'm dizzy!

His music choices now are Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Zeppelin, Megadeth, among others. I already know he's not interested in the Studio series, so I'm looking for some advice so I can narrow the field somewhat.

Thanks in advance![/quote']

You will NOT get a solid LP unless you go Custom Shop.

Chambered, is everything else on Gibson USA"s line except any of the traditional models.

Weight relieved, the nine swiss cheese holes are only on the Traditional pro plus and standard in the uSA lineup.

The traditional pro is not experimental persay, it is a limited edition kinda, by dealer, ie only certain dealers have it, like guitar center, music123 and musiciansfriend, as well as one or two other places.

......in terms of traditionals, there are 3.

The traditional pro

traditional standard

traditional plus.

All are weight relieved AKA they have swiss cheese holes.

Short neck tennon.

Can't remember the pickups, but

the pro has coil tapping available and locking tuners, a plain top and a satin finish 60's style neck. Everywhere else is gloss.

It comes in Heritage cherry burst, tobacco burst and ebony

Price, varying by colour is 1900-2000 US.

The standard comes in goldtop and ebony, no coil tapping and regular kluson style tuners. Price is 2189.

The plus, to me has the best finishes, and a flame top.

The plus has iced tea burst, heritage cherry, honey burst, desert burst and one or two others.

Price is 2299

The standard and plus have 50 something neck profile, ie they are beefier than the pro.

I am not sure about the boards, though I think the traditional has the point to point wiring.

Jimmy Page played bursts, and if he likes those he might enjoy the traditional plus because it has finishes closish to JP's own.

I'm sure Are nine will mention this if he responds to this thread, you can get a 58 Reissue les paul for around the price of a Traditional plus.

That said, the 58 and 59 reissues etc are known for having an extremely thick neck. so it may be difficult for your son to play. Just thought it worth mentioning.

Though there's no better advice than "play them both and get the one that speaks to you" or your son in this case, I would take a Goldtop Traditional or a gorgeous maple flame Traditional Plus hands down. Splitting humbuckers is NOT the same as a P90 clad R0 for example or a Strat so that feature I could take or leave. It generally just produces a softer and noisier prone tone.

That said, it sounds like your son is into metal so the hotter BB bridge pup on the PRO might be to his liking but you can still get allot of grunt out of a 57 Classic Plus through the right amp.

The neck differences are not that great. It is not like the Traditionals have the baseball bat early-mid fifties necks. I did a side by side with a Traditional Plus and my R9 and the necks were "almost" identical. My R9 neck is just "almost" identical to the 60s style neck on my Lifeson ES-355. There's just not that much difference any more.

I just know that I ended up with my R9 this year after playing about every LP I could get my hands on and the Traditional Plus was my number 2 choice even over several Customs. I will likely still buy a Traditional Goldtop or Traditional Plus some day since a 1 of 25 R9 is not something you really want to take a whole lot of places. Well, you want to but it just ain't safe . . .

good luck in your decision . . .

Though there's no better advice than "play them both and get the one that speaks to you" or your son in this case' date=' I would take a Goldtop Traditional or a gorgeous maple flame Traditional Plus hands down.

good luck in your decision . . .[/quote']

+1

That's exactly my point of view as well, but it's your son's that matters. We have almost identical musical tastes with him so let me tell you that pickups in these models are not something you will have to worry about. They cover all of the above with ease, given the correct amp / pedal combination.

Good luck from my side as well.

Thanks everyone! That dual-pickup gig on the Pro looked overly complex to me, but I know nothing about guitars...My son really likes the flamed maple top on the Plus, but we wrote that off thinking the neck size would be too large for his hands...

I still have reservations spending this kind of money, so out of curiosity, how far off is the Studio? It's nearly $1,000 less than the Traditional Plus, but is it really $1,000 less the guitar?

First of all , welcome to the forum.

The studio is a cool guitar, it's good and the same quality of a standard or traditional (or anything else from the USA line), you cannot go wrong with a studio.

Too many options are worth nothing if the owner doesn't know what to do with them or if he likes them or needs them. So a regular studio (yep... there are other studios[lol]) would be good.

My question is, what has your son been playing on up to this point and how good is he? Whats his age?

All the Gibson LP's are going to be nice guitars but if he is just starting out I wouldn't go to deep into debt!

If he has some good skills and is ready to go to the next level then any of these models will put a smile on his face. :-s

Need another son? j/k

Out of curiosity, what type of guitar is your son playing now? How long has he been playing? I remember back when my parents were in your shoes, (60's), I was 9 and none of us had any clue of what was good or not. I commend you for doing the research! The coil taps etc. on the Pro will be a learning experience for him with tone(s), also depending on what amp he is using as well. Coil taps are a desired option in some circles and gives a wide variety of tone options for all types of music your son will probably venture in to. Having his eye on the Pro, I take it he played it as well as others and zoomed in on that one. If not, have him play some more, from studios to customs and the like. Find out which one feels and sounds right to him, that will be the one to get. Try to use the same amp (take his with you if necessary) he is using now so he knows the tone will be the same. It could be the difference between a life long quest and a fad he could be going through.

As Xinnix stated, an LP is a great guitar/investment - but for just starting out they are expensive, relatively speaking. Had my dad spent more on a LP, no telling what it would be worth today. I still have my first guitar, the one "we/I" picked out. I stopped playing because we moved, no garage bands or guitarists close to our new home, but I did learn to play hockey!

Best of luck and hope your son keeps playing. If you go the Les Paul route, I would suggest lessons to go with the guitar. I retained just enough to get back into it last year and am glad I had that base to reflect back on. Side note - I have a niece (15 yrs. at the time, now 17) that saved up her money through the years and she bought herself a $700 Epiphone (Gibson owned co.) Les Paul. She played Gibson Les Pauls, Fenders etc. as well. The one she "picked" was right for her (tone, feel, looks, etc.) I enjoy talking guitars with her. She doesn't play it as much as she used to, but still takes lessons now and then. $700 vs. $2000 - something to think about. She did. Obviously I took the same route getting back into the guitar myself. The Dot is doing just fine after a professional setup and a bone nut. It stays in tune and cheap enough that I can upgrade it if I choose. My Vox VT 15 (amp) does what I want it to when I want it to - to get almost any tone I want. When I get to the level I have in my mind with my abilities, a Les Paul is definitely in my future. I am well on my way to my reward. Most of the folks in this forum give great advice and have the experience/knowledge to do so. Others are "young" but have the guitars to keep them playing forever I hope.

Again I commend you for your research. A Les Paul guitar is one of the most motivating factors a father could give his son. Don't take your eyes off your son or that guitar.

Thanks again everyone....

My son is 13, and he has an Ibanez ART300 that he's currently playing. He also has a G&L ASAT Bluesboy (import version), and an inexpensive Squier that was his first guitar from many years ago. He doesn't care for the Bluesboy, so I'm going to sell it, and replace it with a Les Paul of some version.

He's been playing about 3 years, but has taken it up very seriously over the last 6 months, and he's pretty darned good. He's currently taking lessons from an outstanding musician, and he's also in a "band" that his teacher puts together, where they learn 3 or 4 cover songs, and play them in front of an audience at a local theater.

I think the kid is hooked! I'm a drummer and pianist from years past, but let both go a long time ago. I probably couldn't identify a drum stick if it fell on my foot! I sure wish I could live life over again, because music has been such an integral part of my life, that I can't understand why I took the path I did. One thing's for sure, I'm not going to let my son fall into the same situation, which is why I'm willing to make this investment to support is love for the instrument.

Anyway, I've got off track here. My gut tells my to go with the Traditional Plus, but I'm still up in the air.

In my humble opinion (and I would like other members to comment on this, if you take the time please), as far as American made Les Pauls are concerned, the best value / price ratio comes with the Studio.

However, this does not mean that you will have to go with it. If you can actually afford it and you are not going to debt for that guitar (given that your son is really hooked up to this) an even better guitar like the Standard or the Custom are certainly better choices.

Generally Gibsons (with the exception of a few disgraceful models - yes, there are some...) are more than simple well-made instruments. If they are properly taken care off, they can be life companions. So, a present from father to son at this age could mean really a lot, especially in the years to come...

a good way is just to let your son try out the different Les Paul models and see which he prefers, ultimately it is what he feels is right to play.

but all Gibsons has outstanding quality and is a good investment because you wont lose alot of money if you end up selling it a few years down the line.

I'm not much a writer but I'll take a shot.

The studios are a great guitar, best value for the price. The traditional is a great model too but in terms of money, a standard would make the most sense to me. The standards have locking grovers and burstbucker pro's and the trad has 57 classics and normal tuners. I still really like the look of the standard a little bit more too.

If your son has a passion then there is nothing wrong with helping him. With that said, a studio would be a great first step but if you can afford it, then go with your instincts.

Ok that is way too serious for me lol

That said' date=' the 58 and 59 reissues etc are known for having an extremely thick neck. so it may be difficult for your son to play. Just thought it worth mentioning.

[/quote']

You should turn this in as a term paper at school. You can also use it for your thesis when you go for your Masters in a few years. [cool]

You will NOT get a solid LP unless you go Custom Shop.

Chambered' date=' is everything else on Gibson USA"s line except any of the traditional models.

Weight relieved, the nine swiss cheese holes are only on the Traditional pro plus and standard in the uSA lineup.

The traditional pro is not experimental persay, it is a limited edition kinda, by dealer, ie only certain dealers have it, like guitar center, music123 and musiciansfriend, as well as one or two other places.

......in terms of traditionals, there are 3.

The traditional pro

traditional standard

traditional plus.

All are weight relieved AKA they have swiss cheese holes.

Short neck tennon.

Can't remember the pickups, but

the pro has coil tapping available and locking tuners, a plain top and a satin finish 60's style neck. Everywhere else is gloss.

It comes in Heritage cherry burst, tobacco burst and ebony

Price, varying by colour is 1900-2000 US.

The standard comes in goldtop and ebony, no coil tapping and regular kluson style tuners. Price is 2189.

The plus, to me has the best finishes, and a flame top.

The plus has iced tea burst, heritage cherry, honey burst, desert burst and one or two others.

Price is 2299

The standard and plus have 50 something neck profile, ie they are beefier than the pro.

I am not sure about the boards, though I think the traditional has the point to point wiring.

Jimmy Page played bursts, and if he likes those he might enjoy the traditional plus because it has finishes closish to JP's own.

I'm sure Are nine will mention this if he responds to this thread, you can get a 58 Reissue les paul for around the price of a Traditional plus.

That said, the 58 and 59 reissues etc are known for having an extremely thick neck. so it may be difficult for your son to play. Just thought it worth mentioning.

[/quote']

+1

Archived