Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead's Michael Jackson tribute

mcmurray

No one else has an opinion of this tune? We're all guitarists here, I honestly thought more of you would have something to say.

Yes i cried that kids try to be like him...

Why cry? I think it's great that kids these days are following a musician that actually has a degree of talent and is a solid composer. There should be more of it. It wasn't long ago that kids were worshiping retards such as Limp Biskit, Korn and the likes.

No one else has an opinion of this tune? We're all guitarists here' date=' I honestly thought more of you would have something to say.

Why cry? I think it's great that kids these days are following a musician that actually has a degree of talent and is a solid composer. There should be more of it. It wasn't long ago that kids were worshiping retards such as Limp Biskit, Korn and the likes.

[/quote']

I don't care for Michael Jackson.

I don't care for Michael Jackson.

That's fair, I'm sure there are many here with the same opinion. Did you listen to the tune though? It stands on it's own even without the MJ connotations - it's not a cover song, the MJ reference is there but it's not immediately obvious.

LOL! Yeah this song is badass....you wouldn't know it was a tribute to MJ unless someone told ya....its not really MJ's style so if thats holding you back from listening...well...yeah.

MJ was one of Buckethead's biggest musical inspirations and I believe you can feel that in this song....

I've been listening to this (Buckethead clip) play over and over for the last hour. It's downright beautiful. Hypnotizing....

Indeed it is. Glad you like it. For more in the same style, check out the album 'Electric Tears'.

KSG_Standard - I see you're lurking in here. What are your thoughts?

Since I'm at work I cannot listen to the piece right now, but I will do so tonight. As a general comment on Mr. Buckethead (who's name you will meet in the Gibson forums more often than Les Paul's!), here are my thoughts:

1. ''Likes'' and ''dislikes'' have nothing to do with the cultural value of any artist. I can certainly accept ''I don't like this dude's music''.There are great guitarists, who I accept them as such, but I cannot emotionally relate to their work. But having people claim that he is a shitty guitarist, really pisses me off.

2. Dress / make-up preferences are irrelevant also. He is wearing an embarassing KFC bucket in his head but I don't actually think that SRV or Jimi Hendriz had better tastes in clothes as well... We are supposed to LISTEN to music. We WATCH the show. 2 differenent things.

BTW, I don't think that Chuck Berry or Jimi Hendrix were universally accepted at their time as mainstream artists. They had caused their stirr of things back then. Really glad to see someone else do that in that culturally still times that we live in.

''my words may disturb / but at least there's a reaction...''

Archived