Gibson Brands Forums

meet my newest: 1978 ES-335TD vintage burst

ac1dt3st

this just arrived yesterday, as i continue my love affair with '70s ES-335 models.

she's been branded a "second", i think due to a band of tiger striping in the finish near the tone and volume knobs. personally, i think it's a "mark of distinction"... [thumbdn]

nt7yT.jpg

uyxzk.jpg

3pzh7.jpg

1OYq7.jpg

PZ6CH.jpg

LAZg2.jpg

I'm sure your going to enjoy it. I played a 1975 335 for 20 years and loved every minute of it.

They could be sisters.

yeah, looks like you definitely have the older sister on your hands. beautiful guitar, and looks like you have an amazing lineup there. must be hard to decide what to play some days... ;)

thanks, everyone. she seems to be settling in well. for her initiation, had a nice jam session last night with my wife and my cousin, half Guild F-50R and half Gibson ES-335 for my part.

the guitar shows a little more "road wear" in person than it does in the photos, but i've never been afraid of a little character, particularly in an instrument over 30 years old...

Holy smokes there's my dream 335 right there! :-0

I used to have a 70's TD in walnut finish' date=' beauty to look at but a dog to play unfortunately. Yours looks perfect, congrats![/quote']

thanks! yeah, it was pretty easy on the fingers last night.

what was hard to play about your old ES? neck too wide? bad action...?

thanks! yeah' date=' it was pretty easy on the fingers last night.

what was hard to play about your old ES? neck too wide? bad action...?

[/quote']

The neck was a travesty, I actually put a lot of money into making it playable for me, but in the end I had to give in. Just recently sold it actually...

The nut width was quite narrow, I guess that's a vintage spec but with my big hands and long fingers it wasn't comfortable. Even worse was the neck's profile - wafer thin at the 1st fret, basebal bat at the 12th. The joke was that it looked like a Christmas tree from the side! lol I actually had a luthier take the heels in a bit and refinish it (along with a refret) which helped, but in the end that neck and my hands just couldn't get along. :-(

CONGRATULATIONS! You've got a nice one.

I did not know that Gibson sold "seconds" during the vintage years. I've been to the Memphis factory a number of times and they stated that there are no "seconds". Blemished guitars that cannot be fixed are cut up. I know I was sick and heartborken to see nice looking guitars being cut up!

Very nice 335 TD ya got there!

Been playin' my 335 TD since new in '77. Came with Phase switch on the horn, I added the Bigsby tail.

Took off the pick guard, fingers made static sound on it. Could hear it crackle through the amp.

Pick your style of music, the 335 TD does it all. ( ...and stays in tune )

RoadTrip-Fly-in002.jpg

Archived