Gibson Brands Forums

Bass riffs

Basshole

"My Generation" may have the first bass solo in rock history.

Yeah... I agree... back in the 60's I was playin' bass and had to learn it.... didn't have all the conveniences we have today... just had to listen over and over to the record... probably wrecked the dang thing too......

Ane he only got better... what a shame...taken too early due to drugs.....

Man.... let's face it... Entwistle is the ultimate Rock Bass Player.... no one approaches his dominance on the bass... all the way back to "My Generation"!! Grandpa is totally right here!

Bob

In all honesty thats not a riff, thats just awesome bass playing.

You guys are all picking awesome bass lines, but they aren't simple. I like a complex bass riff too. But bass riffs need to be simple sometimes.

In all honesty thats not a riff' date=' thats just awesome bass playing.

You guys are all picking awesome bass lines, but they aren't simple. I like a complex bass riff too. But bass riffs need to be simple sometimes.

[/quote']

The ones I posted are simple... [cool]

The ones I posted are simple... :-

I know thundergod' date=' I think your the only one who has read my post. People are posting basslines from dream theater, math core groups, and heavy death progressive metal groups (you get my drift), theres nothing wrong with that. I don't think it make a good bass riff.

quoted from my jazz teachers, A drummer of 30 years playing with some of the top jazz players around the world

"A riff is a short, [i']simple[/i] repeated statement"

-Brian Kendrick

A bass thread without Entwhistle is at best incomplete.

+100 on that. I saw an interview with Townshend who said one of the things that made the original Who so good was that Entwhistle was playing lead on the bass, Moon was playing lead on the drums, Townshend was playing lead guitar and Daltry was just trying to keep up with the whole thing.

+100 on that. I saw an interview with Townshend who said one of the things that made the original Who so good was that Entwhistle was playing lead on the bass' date=' Moon was playing lead on the drums, Townshend was playing lead guitar and Daltry was just trying to keep up with the whole thing.

[/quote']

He really doesn't do bass lines...

Yes he does do some complex stuff.

I know thundergod' date=' I think your the only one who has read my post. People are posting basslines from dream theater, math core groups, and heavy death progressive metal groups (you get my drift), theres nothing wrong with that. I don't think it make a good bass riff.

quoted from my jazz teachers, A drummer of 30 years playing with some of the top jazz players around the world

"A riff is a short, [i']simple[/i] repeated statement"

-Brian Kendrick

The one I posted was simple...

Dusty Hill's bass playing provides solidity and groove to ZZ Top's music. Not that Billy and Frank don't do that, of course.

Can't believe no one has mentioned these 2...

2 of the best bass riffs in history that are also prety simple but yet give both songs character and make them classic songs.

Both by the same man' date=' same band. I think he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

John Deacon-Queen

Another one bites the dust and Under pressure. It doesn't get as great as that when it comes to simple but effective bass riffs.

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-xVb1qsPCw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

These are 2 of the most recognizable bass riffs in the history of music!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived