Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Blink

Which Les Paul?

Right now, i'm planning on saving up for a new guitar, and i'm having trouble which one. I'm 90% sure i'll be getting a les paul, nothing is set in stone yet, but i can't decide between a Les Paul Studio, Les Paul 2008 Model, Les paul Standard, or a Les Paul Custom. I don't know that much about guitars, so a simple compare and contrast will be fine. I will for sure be changing the pickups, so whtever pickups come on it won't have a effect on my decision. I play mostly 90's music, punk, alt rock... if that makes any difference, and like i said before, nothing is set in stone, so if you have a sugesstion about another guitar, that would be great also.

right now, my vote is going towards the les paul studio, for it being the cheapest and is having the color i want, Wine Red...

I take it that there is no budget issue in here...?

To me, the first and utmost thing to consider, even when buying an electric guitar, is BUDGET. How much are you willing / able to spend? Then the folks in here can easily advise you on the best models in your price range.

If money are not an object, go get yourself a nice Custom or an R9.

IMHO, in the Les Paul model, the best price / features ratio comes with the Studio.

If you don't care about binding, get a Studio. If you care about binding, get any other LP.

A lot of stock Gibson pickups are great, you'd be surprised.

I don't know that much about guitars' date=' so a simple compare and contrast will be fine.[/quote']

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

I don't know that much about guitars. I will for sure be changing the pickups.

right now' date=' my vote is going towards the les paul studio, for it being the cheapest and is having the color i want, Wine Red...[/quote']

You don't know about guitars but you are sure that you will change the pick ups?

Get a studio. Any Gibson will be wasted on you. You might as well spend the least amount.

You don't know about guitars but you are sure that you will change the pick ups?

Get a studio. Any Gibson will be wasted on you. You might as well spend the least amount.

:- Now that hurt![lol]

Its the truth. he won't appreciate it. Should let him know up front.

yeah i found that a bit strange, why change pick ups if he knows nothing bout guitars? :-

Thanks guys, i will be most likely be getting a studio, but i will definately try them all out, as well as other guitars.

and to gibsonbybirth, as funny as it may seem, you did help me realise that i probably won't appreciate a more expensive les paul

and to make it clear, i do know stuff about guitar, i meant that i don't know specifics, such as different types of woods, chambered bodies, etc...

anyways thanks guys for your help

[scared] ^_^

Thanks guys' date=' i will be most likely be getting a studio, but i will definately try them all out, as well as other guitars.

and to gibsonbybirth, as funny as it may seem, you did help me realise that i probably won't appreciate a more expensive les paul

and to make it clear, i do know stuff about guitar, i meant that i don't know specifics, such as different types of woods, chambered bodies, etc...

anyways thanks guys for your help[/quote']

Aah. I love a beautiful ending. [scared][crying]

...right now' date=' my vote is going towards the les paul studio, for it being the cheapest and is having the color i want, Wine Red...[/quote']

Don't think of the Studio as "the cheapest"; it's "the least expensive". I've got a wine red Studio; it's a great guitar.

Thanks guys' date=' i will be most likely be getting a studio, but i will definately try them all out, as well as other guitars.

anyways thanks guys for your help[/quote']

That takes a big man, I applaud you our new friend. [confused]

Do give the stock pickups at the very least' date=' a fair trial before ripping them out...[/quote']

Oh yeah, i will give them a try...

i think what i'll do, is that if i prefer my pickups, i'll put my pickups on and put the stock pickups on my epiphone guitar.

Just for the heck of it, give the new Traditional a try. They are more money, but I thought it was a pretty hot guitar.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

I'm pretty much from the school of thought that says why buy a guitar planning on changing it. Instead buy the guitar you really want that is already set up the way you want it. I could see maybe changing the pick guard if there was another type that was unavailable on the guitar, or maybe putting a customized truss rod cover on...or even doing something like adding a floyd rose or something similar if you just had to have a whammy on an LP. But the basic stuff like pickups and electronics and such I'd leave alone.

Now, if a pickup or tuning key or something goes bad, then yes, go ahead and replace it...and upgrade to something newer and better if you like. But why buy a NEW guitar and immediately tear it apart. I just don't get it.

Unfortunately at the moment I do not own a Gibson guitar...but I used to have an 82 deluxe Gold top with the mini humbuckers that I bought brand new in Atlanta. If I still had it and the pickups went bad in it, I would definitely consider going with P90's, but otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing. The only thing on that guitar I didn't like were the speed knobs. I always intended to put skirted knobs on it, simply because I thought they looked better, but those stock humbuckers sounded great. The only things I ever actually did change was to remove the pickguard because I thought it looked better without it, and the creme colored toggle cover broke, so I bought a chrome one to replace it. Other that that, the only thing ever changed on it was the strings. I could really kick myself for letting that guitar go.

Former owner of 82 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top

Current owner of

Fender American Standard Strat (Gun Metal Blue w/white pickguard - bought new first year model was released)

Squier Strat (Black on black - also bought new first year model released, Japanese version)

Fender P-Bass (MIM - dark purple...been told it's called "Midnight Blue") - bought used

Ovation Ultra silverburst - bought used

Don't have a Gibson at the moment, but in 1982 I went to Atlanta and bought a BRAND NEW Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top.

It had the mini-humbuckers in it and they sounded great. The only modifications I ever did was to take off the pick guard for looks, replaced a broken toggle switch cap with a chrome one, and changed the strings out periodically. Other than that...it remained stock until, like an idiot, I let my local music store sell it. I originally paid 600 dollars for that guitar in a hard shell case. Nowadays, I would have to pay 2 Grand or more for a comparable guitar new. The used ones sell for way more than I paid new for mine.

The only reason I'd have ever considered changing pickups would be if they went bad, and only then might I consider some P90's. But most likely I would have gotten some more mini-HB's and put them in.

I"ll take the stock pups if you rip them out. I have always wanted to build a Telecaster with a set of gibson pups just for giggles.

If you haven't committed yet, try the Faded LP Studio, it has Burstbuckers that are far superior to the 490R/498T which are in the other Studio models. The 490/498 sound muddy compared to the Burstbuckers. And the price is a steal.

If you haven't committed yet' date=' try the [i']Faded[/i] LP Studio, it has Burstbuckers that are far superior to the 490R/498T which are in the other Studio models. The 490/498 sound muddy compared to the Burstbuckers. And the price is a steal.

I will...But yeah.;what apart from the binding and pu"s, is the difference with a standard?

Are the woods the same? The holed body?..or full?

I actually like the look of studios..But..everytime I meet a Studio guy..they go..i want a standard....

I m looking for a cheap mother****er of a Blackkker then Hell guitar? I need LOUDNESS BASS And Horrific sustain..Should I go for a studio?..I need 60 slim neck

Thanx