Gibson Brands Forums

Which Les Paul?

Red Hot Blink

You don't know about guitars but you are sure that you will change the pick ups?

Get a studio. Any Gibson will be wasted on you. You might as well spend the least amount.

You don’t need extraordinary talent or experience to appreciate high quality workmanship or exceptional tone. While our new friend may be a little misguided to assume that he will, “for sure be changing the pick ups”, you have to be an elitist pig to tell someone, “any Gibson will be wasted on you”!

Right now' date=' i'm planning on saving up for a new guitar, and i'm having trouble which one. I'm 90% sure i'll be getting a les paul, nothing is set in stone yet, but i can't decide between a Les Paul Studio, Les Paul 2008 Model, Les paul Standard, or a Les Paul Custom.

I play mostly 90's music, punk, alt rock... if that makes any difference, and like i said before, nothing is set in stone, so if you have a sugesstion about another guitar, that would be great also.

right now, my vote is going towards the les paul studio, for it being the cheapest and is having the color i want, Wine Red...[/quote']

There's no other guitar that will sound the same as a Les Paul, even not a PRS. While some of them might 'come close', 'they'll all have their own distinct tone and playability. The Les Paul is the one that it's all about, still to this day. People still compare their guitars with Les Pauls...'It almost sounds like a Les Paul!' or 'Wow, this is the perfect LP-style guitar, only with better playability and craftmanship'. Those people don't know what they're talking about or they had bad luck with their own Gibson(s).

You mention 90's music, punk, rock. Any Les Paul will 'rock', but each of them will have a different tone/vibe from itself. A Standard rocks in a different way than a Traditional and so on...

The ultimate 80's hard rock/metal guitar is the Les Paul Custom. The Custom gives a tighter, more focused tone, while having thick, well articulated mids and highs at the same time. BIG tone. It has balls to the walls (think John Sykes, Ace Frehley, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde). Also John Fogerty, Jan Akkerman, Robert Fripp and lots of other great musicians prefered (and still prefer) the Custom. It's not only a great guitar for hardrock, but the clean tone from a LPC is something to die for as well. Search for that perfect, sweet Custom and you're ready to rock big time.

Peace and Love,

Greeny.

I could not agree more. Very well said.

In addition, if you can afford the custom, it is well worth the difference in price. If you can't afford the custom or a standard, IMHO the Les Paul studio is a fine instrument. Personally, unless you are a beginner, I would not purchase anything lower in quality than the Gibson Les Paul Studio.

And don't forget the most important thing: to find that nice piece of wood. Every piece of wood is different and unique, so you'll experience that 2 different Customs will both give a different tone and feel when playing them next to each other. I've done lots of these tests and it's always true. One can sound 'bad' amplified (with the same pickups, caps, pots), the other can sound fantastic. This is also true as far as playability is concerned.

Archived