Gibson Brands Forums

Re. Maple Cap on Faded Standards...

Lowdown

I decided to have a look inside my '09 Faded Standard this arvo. Unscrewed the backing plates and looked at the toggle and pot cavity but couldn't see where the join was where the mahogany meets the maple cap.

I should've done this when changing strings the other day and took out the pups,because I know then I should've seen something.

Can someone please clarify for me that you can indeed see the join from the pot/toggle cavities? [biggrin]

Muchos Gracias...

I decided to have a look inside my '09 Faded Standard this arvo. Unscrewed the backing plates and looked at the toggle and pot cavity but couldn't see where the join was where the mahogany meets the maple cap.

I should've done this when changing strings the other day and took out the pups' date='because I know then I should've seen something.

Can someone please clarify for me that you can indeed see the join from the pot/toggle cavities? [biggrin

Muchos Gracias...

They're still making faded standards!?

How come they aren't for sale on any online dealer sites?

Not form the control cavity you can't.

And I don't think you should be able to from the switch cavity either.

Here's why... at those points the maple cap is thinner due to the carving on the top, so the only place where you can actually see it is in the pickup cavities, or if you take the switch and controls out and look INTO THE HOLES THEY LEAVE.

They're still making faded standards!?

How come they aren't for sale on any online dealer sites?

Yeah. Not sure if they are now' date='but up until the middle of this year they did a limited run of 50. Mine was one.[biggrin

Thanx for all the info guys. Never thought the cap would be that thin.:-s

Will have to take another look when I change strings next time. Already thinking of changing the nut for a Tusq as the rest of my guitars have.

Cheers & beers...[thumbup]

Yeah. Not sure if they are now' date='but up until the middle of this year they did a limited run of 50. Mine was one.[biggrin']

Thanx for all the info guys. Never thought the cap would be that thin.[biggrin]

Will have to take another look when I change strings next time. Already thinking of changing the nut for a Tusq as the rest of my guitars have.

dang all the freaking limited edition runs, that I never hear about.

dang all the freaking limited edition runs' date=' that I never hear about.[/quote']

Was purely chance(I prefer fate-was meant to be). I broke just about all the cardinal rules by

1.buying sight unseen excepting pics

2. buying internationally

3.having it shipped internationally(of course)

4.not playing and hearing before hand

5.buying off eBay.

It was listed as 2009 model,I thought he'd made a mistake and it was NOS from 2008. But when I got it it was definitely, according to Gibson themselves and the seller,as a limited edition run of 50 made.[biggrin]

There's another member on here with one also,forget who at the mo.

The God's were definitely looking out for me that day! [thumbup]

That's probably me. My Faded is a '08-model, supposedly made after they discontinued it. Was told by my dealer that Gibson made an additional run for the European market only. Haven't got that statement confirmed, but when Lowdown's from a limited run, it sounds reasonable.

Yeah. Not sure if they are now' date='but up until the middle of this year they did a limited run of 50. Mine was one.[biggrin']

Thanx for all the info guys. Never thought the cap would be that thin.[biggrin]

So, did you get that thru bizarre-guitars? Thats the place that had the last of them.

That's probably me. My Faded is a '08-model' date=' supposedly made after they discontinued it. Was told by my dealer that Gibson made an additional run for the European market only. Haven't got that statement confirmed, but when Lowdown's from a limited run, it sounds reasonable.[/quote']

That's you alright. Mine is actually stamped "2009". Gibson confirmed,as did the seller that this was from a one off run of 50.

So' date=' did you get that thru bizarre-guitars? Thats the place that had the last of them. [/quote']

Yeah. That's them. Great guy to deal with too.

Was purely chance(I prefer fate-was meant to be). I broke just about all the cardinal rules by

1.buying sight unseen excepting pics

2. buying internationally

3.having it shipped internationally(of course)

4.not playing and hearing before hand

5.buying off eBay.

It was listed as 2009 model' date='I thought he'd made a mistake and it was NOS from 2008. But when I got it it was definitely, according to Gibson themselves and the seller,as a limited edition run of 50 made.:-

There's another member on here with one also,forget who at the mo.

The God's were definitely looking out for me that day! [woot

dang, then all my gear purchases were fate...I do all that except number 5....all that..all the time...every time.

Here is what it looks like just so you never have to do this to find out.

Minus the holes and chambering.

^_^ [omg][scared][crying][scared]

WTF!!! Oh my God! Now THAT is gonna give me freaking nightmares for weeks! Definitely the scariest thing I've seen in a long time. Where the hell did you get those pics? What's the story behind them? Aaaaahhh.....

Got those photo's over at Mylespaul.com.

Can't Remember the Story behind them.

I think those were from the Gibson factory. Not sure.

Pretty kool, ha. If you look in the rear pickup cavity it should be almost all Maple.

The front ones about half and down by the controls its real thin.

Archived