Gibson Brands Forums

I've given more thought into what my first guitar should be

NeoLibMan

LP Studio is a great guitar. For amps, it depends on what you define as being cheap but there are a lot of good ones out there for less than $500, especially if you pick one up used. As Are Nine suggested, I'd go with a tube amp; take a look at Fender, Vox, Gibson, Orange, Blackheart and whatever else that happens to catch your eye.

Depending on what music you play, try out the Bogner Alchemist amps. Not too big, but nice big tone...

Honestly, tho, +1 to Are Nine's post... amps are something you really need to spend some time listening to, methinks.

Good Luck and enjoy the hunt!

I have a VOX AC50CPH and IMO it sounds pretty darn wicked... I switched the speakers out and installed classic celestion 30's and it gets a pretty wicked dirty tone, and it cleans up pretty nicely..... My daughter also has the same amp too.... I got her's used for $300, but she decided to opt for my new one[blink] ....... such the sweet thing that she is[blush]

I have some sound clicks if you're interested...

Here's a little jam session of me and my daughter laying down the lead part to stairway to heave... She playing the rhythm with her Gibby MM using her VOX...... I'm running the same VOX with a MXR Carbon Copy Delay and Keeley 4-knob compressor.... Excuse the distortion in the recording..... I used a vocal mic instead because my son took my SM57's to his rehearsal, and I still haven't seen them since[confused]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another with my 1979 green box MXR delay that recently took a dump..... still depressed about that.... excuse the jibberish before the playing.:-

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S54rECneASA[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another with my 72 SG200..... One of my old bands from the early 1980's got back together to record a song.... I still have to mix it down.... Just using my 1979 green box MXR delay.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another just using the amp reverb (no effects).... Please excuse the voice..... I was using one of those free MP3 converters[blush]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I went through all the lower end amps and a few higher end used amps. I kept coming back to the Vox VT15. That sucker is loud for it's size. I guess after playing all the brands, this little amp had them all on a dial and were darn near exact copies of what I thought the higher output amps would sound like on the lowest volume settings. The higher end / more powerful amps could not be turned down low (volume) to get any real umph out of them but this Vox VT15 could match the sounds at lower volume. At least it was as close as I could come. They may be pulling my leg with it's tube, but I bought in anyways. It warms up like a tube amp, has a tube, and gives me a tube sound that I remember back in the day. I am still trying to figure out / discover what this amp can do. Yes, I read the instruction manual and still refer back to it. I have to...LOL.

Close seconds, Epi's tube amp. The tiny Crate and Marshall. I ran from the Line 6.

Sorry - I can't remember the model numbers on those close seconds.

Archived